PDA

View Full Version : Carpro's new Leather coating

mobilejay
12-05-2014, 01:08 AM
I bought this and am testing it out on my finance's car since I don't have leather. I applied 3 coats to the passenger seat and half of the driver seat. Also 3 coats to one of the rear seats, 2 coats on the plastics on dash etc. Her interior is black so being able to see one side cleaner that the other is out of the question. One of my questions is, is this mainly for ease of cleaning and being somewhat stain resistant? Are we supposed to see water beading and sheeting right off of the seats or is this not made for that kind of thing?

Also once this is applied do we ever condition the leather again or not? I know about the coated leather talk and how its pointless to condition but my clients want them conditioned. If this is replacing a conditioner that is fine, I just need to know what to tell them.

And finally, cleaning. Do we just lightly wipe with a damp cloth? How resistant is this to chemicals like Ultima interior shampoo or other leather cleaners?

Pureshine
12-05-2014, 02:10 AM
Have you seen this video yet should answer most of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hHHA2WPJv0

Corey
12-05-2014, 03:11 AM
I bought this and am testing it out on my finance's car since I don't have leather. I applied 3 coats to the passenger seat and half of the driver seat. Also 3 coats to one of the rear seats, 2 coats on the plastics on dash etc. Her interior is black so being able to see one side cleaner that the other is out of the question. One of my questions is, is this mainly for ease of cleaning and being somewhat stain resistant? Are we supposed to see water beading and sheeting right off of the seats or is this not made for that kind of thing?

As Todd directed that should answer a lot of the purposes. Additionally in the store the features and specifications are well explained here ---> CQuartz Leather & Vinyl (http://www.carpro-us.com/finest-authorized-store/cquartz-leather-vinyl-30ml/)

i.e. "CQuartz Leather & Vinyl has been tested against a variety of chemicals and conditions including mud, grease, dye transfer, crayons, and even super glue and is proven to resist stains better than any traditional leather product. CQuartz Leather & Vinyl does NOT fade or yellow in extreme UV and protects the existing materials with UV inhibitors integrated into the formula to provide the ultimate in UV protection as well. Protect your interior to the same degree you protect your paint with CQuartz Leather & Vinyl coating!"

So, yes it will bead although that is a side affect of its purpose which is to REPEL. I would do 3 coats on the driver side, two on the rest of seats and one on vinyl (or more if kids are expected to draw on the vinyl) lol

Also once this is applied do we ever condition the leather again or not? I know about the coated leather talk and how its pointless to condition but my clients want them conditioned. If this is replacing a conditioner that is fine, I just need to know what to tell them.

No, there is ZERO reason to condition finished leather and especially not now that there is a coating protecting it. This is "replacing the conditioner." not that it was needed to start with.

And finally, cleaning. Do we just lightly wipe with a damp cloth? How resistant is this to chemicals like Ultima interior shampoo or other leather cleaners?

Yes, all that is needed is a damp cloth for general cleaning BUT if there is ink or something applied and let to sit and dry something more will be needed. Sure, Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel is absolutely fine as are a variety of cleaners but in general there is no need for them. In general would avoid most APC on interior with or without the coating as many APC are harmful to interior surfaces.

Hi Jason, I'll answer in BOLD above

Heres an image from our buddy Jose over in your neck of the woods.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j376/CEEDOG7/CQuartz_Leather.jpg (http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/CEEDOG7/media/CQuartz_Leather.jpg.html)

mobilejay
12-05-2014, 03:12 AM
Yeah but I guess I wasn't really paying attention. Okay so most of my questions were answered. Now do we need to condition the leather after or not really?

Jason Cavallo
www.cavalloautosalon.com

mobilejay
12-05-2014, 03:13 AM
You posted right when I did. lol awesome thanks guys.

Jason Cavallo
www.cavalloautosalon.com

mobilejay
12-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Okay one more. I typically use cockpit premium to clean and dress dash boards and plastics on every car I do. If I have this coating on the dash and other panels (aluminum trim etc) do I not need to apply this anymore or will the cp wear down the coating faster? Should I be applying the coating to the plastics and trim or just for leather and vinyl? I may have been confused when people say they apply to everything.

Jason Cavallo
www.cavalloautosalon.com

Dr_Pain
12-05-2014, 03:30 AM
For one I am glad you asked the questions because if they came to your mind they came to someone else's mind. The purpose of coating a coated leather, vinyl, etc... is to offer a sacrificial barrier which may actually offer more chemical, abrasion, UV resistance than the original product. The cleaning of those coated surfaces should include pH neutral cleaners (IF NEEDED) which won't affect the function or deteriorate the coating prematurely. There is no need for a "topper" although they may offer a "pop" to the optical qualities of the coating, but nothing will bond long to the coating.

As for your second question I know that Corey will chime in that DLUX should be the go to for interior plastic and rubber trim (as it was designed for it)> I am sure that the leather coating CAN be used but...

Pureshine
12-05-2014, 03:47 AM
For me I will only apply to leather and vinyl. I'm not willing to take a chance of damaging the customers car in any way.

mobilejay
12-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Cool thanks guys

Jason Cavallo
www.cavalloautosalon.com