PDA

View Full Version : Are you a "Detailer?"

fdresq4
12-09-2014, 12:29 PM
On another forum, some discussion had taken place about coatings, right Claude? Anyway as the conversation developed, some opinions were offered and it was alleged that he opinion of who qualifies as a "detailer." Again, this was one person's alleged opinion. One of the gentlemen involved is a member her, I believe so I will let him speak to his specifics.
With that being said, here is what I offered to the conversation...

I am a full- time career firefighter. Some of the career guys I work with do not consider volunteer firefighters "real professionals" because they do not get paid for it. I absolutely disagree with that thought. The career and volunteers, at least here, go to the same training. Just because you may not do it full- time or receive a steady paycheck does not make the individual any less.
It is all on how the individual conducts themselves. I know many volunteer professional volunteers. I guess I would liken it to folks going to Mike Phillips training sessions. Some may do it full- time and others not but aren't they all there receiving the same training and continuing to better their skills? Sure skill levels maybe different just out of the sheer fact of having more correction time. With that said, it would not surprise me at all if two vehicles were put side-by-side and I could not tell who the paycheck detailer was and the "non-paycheck" detailer was.

Dr_Pain
12-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Well good morning to you too Steve! This is quite the heavy subject you are putting on the table this early in the morning, and one that unfortunately will remain in debate "ad vitam aeternam". But let me have a go at it anyhow and let me offer my "professional" opinion LOL!

Legally speaking, the term Detailer is not protected or proprietary term only associated with a set of regulated requirements within the car care industry. Here is a quick definition cut and paste from the Cambridge dictionary online (which seems to reflect through other online references)

Detailer noun /ˈdiːteɪlər/ US

(also detail person) a person who visits a company's customers, to give them information about the company's products and to find out about the level of sales, etc.:

A pharmaceutical detailer promotes the use of, and sells, legal drugs and other pharmaceutical products to physicians, dentists, hospitals, etc.
(also auto detailer) TRANSPORT a person whose job is to clean the inside and outside of cars

So as you can see, nobody is elevated by the definition, right? So why is it such a contested term, which we should attribute to only a certain sub-grouping of people that have certain pre-determined standards?? In short, EGO! We find personal valuation in setting ourselves apart and we have such a misguided view of titles that anyone trying to use the same terms we use seem to denigrate our achievement, or status. Should a fresh newb who decide to call himself a detailer just because he learned the 2 bucket technique and read a couple of forum post be allowed to?? I know, this is "sacrilege", he has yet to prove himself, right? Should the term detailer only apply to a guy like Kevin Brown, who does have an incredible reputation as a detailer, innovator and master of the trade? Should we just try and delineate ourselves with a term like "Professional", to separate us from the "un"professional? Well let's explore that one... From the Merriam Webster dictionary:

Pro·fes·sion·al adjective \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\

Relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession
(2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
Done or given by a person who works in a particular profession

following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
Paid to participate in a sport or activity

: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

P.S. I did take the liberties to rearrange the definition a bit but it is in essence a cut a paste

Question: For those of you who know me, have seen my work, seen my forum posting and the knowledge I bring to the discussions.... would you qualify me as a Professional or Non-Professional Detailer? Interesting isn't it??

Answer: Technically I would not be a Professional Detailer. The reason being is that I have no formal education and have never been to a detailing clinic put out by any product manufacture, or product retailer. My training, skills and knowledge have been gained through individual research and experimentation. I do hold fast to the highest ethical and moral standards (and values)HOWEVER this is due to my Christian value system, more than a learned skill associated with this profession. Am I paid to do the work I do? YES! However the income I produce detailing, even if I were to have a state of the art facility and all, would never come close to replacing my current income, therefore I don't do this type of work for a living (since my livelihood is taking care of by my primary occupation, which is my permanent career). Does that make me any less of a Professional? Who sets the industry standards to decide such a thing?

So lets gets back to my argument of ego for a second. The people that are so threatened by newbs using the words "professional detailers" are the ones that have insecurities regarding their own standing within the profession. If this is your chosen profession and believe that you have to fight a grunge match with the newb detailers, then this should make you think twice about using the word Professional. Your work as a professional detailer should speak for itself, and that alone should set you apart from the rest, not a self appointed title which is most likely used to 1) put down other individuals YOU feel are less qualified and 2)confuse people through some marketing antics to prove yourself (on paper) to be the more qualified individual. Any qualified professional should have a vested interest in improving his/her chosen profession and that includes mentoring and leading the effort to "season" those newbs the right way. But do we really care about taking that leadership role???

Steve, your subject was deep and needed a deep answer. This is the best I can do this early in the morning LOL!

fdresq4
12-09-2014, 02:43 PM
That is the Best you could do? Sheesh...I expected more..LOL, J/K! Well, I guess it's like Politics people get hooked on Democrat vs. Republican, Right vs. Left. How about I research, which may be a harsh word here, the INDIVUDUAL with some sort of defined standard? Oh no not again!

Anyway, I consider most folks on here more than just "Detailers". To me, detailer is just a word. I do use the term Pro since it seems synonymous with folks who may do it for income on various sites as a standard. I don't care what folks call themselves I will base it on body of work and what I learn from them, after researching. I enjoy learning from many of you.

I debated at first even posting it here but since we seem to be a small knit group, the conversation would not go off the cliff.

Thanks Claude for your thoughts.

Old Tiger
12-09-2014, 07:46 PM
I would venture to say the enthusiasts on this site have more knowledge than many so called pros,t IME!

Dr_Pain
12-09-2014, 07:59 PM
I would say that the simple fact that we seek to learn, and grow our craft with constant experimentation, and care to post on the forums etc... then in my book this puts us in better position to be called "detailers". How many "car washers" around your town have ever done a product review? a Show and Shine? or simply sought information about the "latest and greatest" or the "best in class", and actually implemented a plan to experiment. Most, if I can be so bold as to generalize, adopt the attitude of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and are perfectly happy to grab a handful of products from Advance Auto Parts, Walmart or Autozone, or the local wholesale supply store and they call it a day! Slap on some glaze and some greasy dressing on the tire and it looks as good as new

Corey
12-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Fantastic article as always Claude!

Dr Oldz
12-10-2014, 05:03 AM
A detailer is someone who get paid to clean and enhance a vehicle appearance. The question shouldn't be are you a professional or not.... But what level detailer are you. If detailers get paid for a wash and wax... They are still technically a "detailer" as long as their client is satisfied.

We however are a total different level of "detailer"

kamakaz1961
12-10-2014, 06:15 PM
IMO We all "all" detailers. I accept that. Do we get paid or not does not matter. I get paid with a nice dinner or lotto scratchers from my close friends. Am I an enthusiast in my hobby yes. To me anyone that cares about cleaning their or other people's car with perfection is a detailer. However, I think most of us are artists in our field of cleaning. We look at cars differently. Instead of looking at a nice Bentley or Ferrari as an awesome car...the 1st thing I look for are their swirls on the paint. If there is, the person does not take care of their car. As an artist I get very enthusiastic when I finish a detail. When I start explaining to my friend what I did to their car and they have the "deer in the headlights" look...I stop talking as they just would not understand. Oh well, such is life of an artist. I look at everyone here on this site as an artist. Again, that is me.

Corey
12-11-2014, 04:41 AM
I like that^^

Merlin
11-06-2015, 07:09 PM
IMHO Detailing is more than just washing or putting on a coat of wax. Again, IMHO, there is a big difference between a clean vehicle and a truly detailed vehicle.
I wouldn't call detailing an art, but I would say that true detailing is craft and a science that requires learned skills, constant knowledge, dedication and passion.

My definition of paint detailing is pretty short...
Detailing is thoroughly cleaning, removing contaminates, swirls, fine scratches, oxidation and paint imperfections to create a clear, sharp, show-quality level finish.

...It's like playing a guitar.
The guitar is one of the easiest instruments to learn to play and one of the most difficult to master.
There are many masters here that have spent years practicing and rehearsing to master this craft.

Worthrj
11-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Kamakaz, I share your thoughts as well. As well as my never ending swirl finder eyes at a stop light.

IloveReflectPolish
11-24-2015, 01:12 AM
I think being a "detailer" is being someone who finds out what the main concerns the customer has for their vehicle. Identifies them as realistic or unrealistic based upon what the customer wants, and the defects that need to be removed.

When you get someone who is unrealistic and wont listen to logic, you simply tell them "I don't think we would be a good fit for what you want"

When you get the "realistic" person, you meet all his/her wants, and exceed them if possible. This customer will come back to you and refer friends and family.

Worthrj
11-24-2015, 01:27 AM
I like the second paragraph ilovereflect. Why climb a tree to sell a problem? I'm not sure this has anything to do with "are you a detailer" but certainly as a general business practice in this industry or any other, seems practical to be. Although being in retail the last ten plus years, customer arrogance spells disaster for both parties.

IloveReflectPolish
11-24-2015, 01:43 AM
I like the second paragraph ilovereflect. Why climb a tree to sell a problem? I'm not sure this has anything to do with "are you a detailer" but certainly as a general business practice in this industry or any other, seems practical to be. Although being in retail the last ten plus years, customer arrogance spells disaster for both parties.

I had two people contact me this past week wanting me to detail their vehicles. First one was a lady with a nice 2014 Lexus, she had plenty of money, and was willing to pay for a full correction. When I asked her what her main concern was, she opened the door and showed me scratches from her heels that were completely through the clear coat. Can't do it. She couldn't understand no matter how I explained it.

Second was a guy with a truck he uses to hunt with, he didn't want correction. His main concerns, had a few places that had some paint transfer from rubbing against something, a dealership sticker that was worn and faded, and wanted "wax" for shine. We agreed on a wash/ speedy prep/ spot polish/ sealant. I got the sticker off and removed all the "ghosting", removed all the paint transfer, and used Fixer by hand under the door handles to remove the fingernail scratches, he didn't ask me to do this, but it really needed it. I got a nice tip from him. Win/win.

Worthrj
11-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Clear silicone caulking always fills the clear coat great. (Joking). Everybody, has two things, opinions and a##holes. It's the attitude behind the opinion that gets me. A humble opinion okay...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

IloveReflectPolish
11-24-2015, 02:24 AM
Clear silicone caulking always fills the clear coat great. (Joking). Everybody, has two things, opinions and a##holes. It's the attitude behind the opinion that gets me. A humble opinion okay...

I'm kind of lost by this statement.:confused: I don't feel as I've been an A##...., just sharing my experience with what being a "detailer" means to me, no intention to offend anyone. If you don't agree, that is your right.

Cooter
11-24-2015, 02:59 AM
Youre reading too much into that post ILoveReflectPolish. He was just making a comment, not about you, just in general.

Worthrj
11-24-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm kind of lost by this statement.:confused: I don't feel as I've been an A##...., just sharing my experience with what being a "detailer" means to me, no intention to offend anyone. If you don't agree, that is your right.
I was referring to the "bad" customers.

IloveReflectPolish
11-26-2015, 09:29 PM
I was referring to the "bad" customers.

My mistake, I apologize.

Happy Thanksgiving!