PDA

View Full Version : PERL'ed my Tires today-some observations

Mark
07-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Was time to go to this step, after I just CQuartz UK'd and Reloaded my brand new 22x9 Denali Repro Wheels in Chrome. This was the finishing touch.

Tires are new Nitto 421Q V-Rated 285/45-22.

Decided to use straight full strenght PERL, even though I have a little bit on hand cut 1-1.
I applied with a small piece of soft sponge.

Upon initial application the product first seemed to not be giving good coverage, was appearing a bit uneven, and not uniform. Figured these new tires were soaking in product, so I went around the sidewalls twice.

Figured I'd let such sit for a good 1/2 hour, and come back and re-apply. Well, there was no need, the tires have so much gloss, and shine, I can just about literally comb my hair in them! All I can say is wow! They now look so "black"!

Funny this "delayed" effect, I knew the product was superb, trying a bit on other things, and my big regrets now, is that I only bought a small 500ml bottle. Next time I'll buy the large Jug! (5L)

Corey
07-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Awesome Mark!! I did 3 layers once just for testing... There was literally a reflection on it lol. I could see myself!

I like to spray 1:1 so it's easy to spread into all lettering via foam app

Mark
07-06-2014, 12:12 PM
I was aware from AGO that detailers do cut PERL since it is water based.

I had used PERL yesterday in its cut 1-1 solution as I was cleaning the truck, and wanted to spray out the wheel wells a bit, they were looking a bit dusty. Wasn't long back I undercoated all 4 of them with 3M Undercoating Spray.

So, decided to try a new jug of Purple Power APC, then hose down. To my shock, the first two Wheel Wells I applied to turned very whitish looking! Oh hell I thought, just monkeyed these up real good! :-(

Took the PERL at 1-1 and liberally sprayed them down. Look nice and black again, whew! Didn't use the Purple Power on the other side.

I have been previously been using Optimum Opti Bond Gel on my other vehicle, as well said to be a water based product, but note Opti Bond seems a bit difficult to wash out of an applicator. When I went to wash the applicator that had PERL on it, it came clean lickety split.

GreatAvalon
07-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Nice! That last two times I've used perl 1:1 I've experienced streaking. Last time (4 weeks ago) I used it full strength and no streaking, and it is still has some lingering gloss. Love perl in all it's forms!

Mark
07-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Nice! That last two times I've used perl 1:1 I've experienced streaking. Last time (4 weeks ago) I used it full strength and no streaking, and it is still has some lingering gloss. Love perl in all it's forms!

Probably the one reason I seen a bit of unevenness on initial application on these new tires, was because I didn't want to go overboard on them, using harsh full strength APC's, or worse, harsh solvemts.

Didn't wish to "age" the tires anymore than I had to. Age will surely come all on its own.

Just a diluted Zep Citrus Degreaser, and DG Shampoo was all. Thus there might have been remnants of the bead lube, and other films from manufacturing still left behind?

This morning looking at all, they look killer. All even in appearance. I imagine if one wants a more matte look, a simple wipe with a towel will give such an appearance.

Mark
07-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Another quality that I notice between Optimum Opti Bond Gel, and PERL, and forgot to mention.

Although Opti Bond Gel is stated to be VOC free, I do not note it being mentioned that it is a water based product. While PERL dilutes with water, and stays mixed, Opti Bond does not, it seperates in the bottle. While I have used Opti Bond successfully cut with water, I just have to shake the bottle before applying.

Doesn't seem to be needed with PERL, I like that. Evidently, both products are not similar as to their chemical makeup.

EVOlved
07-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Where are the pictures Mark?? I've seen you posting about these wheels across the forums, but no pics?!?!

BRING EM ON!!

Mark
07-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Where are the pictures Mark?? I've seen you posting about these wheels across the forums, but no pics?!?!

BRING EM ON!!

Still cannot figure out how to upload images, even though I see a tutorial now, little seems to make much sense? Just tried again, no joy.

Cooter
07-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Mark, which program are you using? Photobucket or Picasa or what?

Mark
07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Simply IE is all, try to upload, click browse, open one of my files on puter, click image. nothing happens.

I click "insert image here", at the header of this post, a box opens, then click basic uploader, see all my files, click an image, then click "upload image, then zero, nothing happens. Something's not working right here. Have no issues anywhere else

Corey
07-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Simply IE is all, try to upload, click browse, open one of my files on puter, click image. nothing happens.

I click "insert image here", at the header of this post, a box opens, then click basic uploader, see all my files, click an image, then click "upload image, then zero, nothing happens. Something's not working right here. Have no issues anywhere else

Mark, there's a much easier way. No need to open that silly image loader.

In photobucket or whatever photo host site you use just click the "copy link" button.
In the body of your message here click paste or ctrl+v and that's it.

Works great universally-

Mark
07-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Sorry Corey, I don't use Photobucket or any other image hosting site, so it looks like there will never be any pictures posted by myself here. Unless some more changes-improvements are made.

But why then are such features here then, but don't work-function? Evidently your webmaster has left mucho bugs, and features to this forum which are useless, and do not work.

I've even noticed over the past couple weeks that I cannot even get to this forum by simply clicking the saved link in my favs bar, or favs folder, like this forum is either shut down at times, or doesn't even exist? I refreshed-replaced both recently, thought that cured the issue, but nope, happened again this morning, could not access the forum again.

PS: I am on a Broadband connection, I believe IE 10, Windows 8 OS

PSS: Such doesn't really bother me that much for the time being, but sad I cannot easily show pics for others to see. I am happy as a clam to be a member here, to hopefully contribute, and to learn and interact with you, and other forum members.
Thanks again for having me here! Mark

ChrisDA
07-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Sorry Corey, I don't use Photobucket or any other image hosting site, so it looks like there will never be any pictures posted by myself here. Unless some more changes-improvements are made.

But why then are such features here then, but don't work-function? Evidently your webmaster has left mucho bugs, and features to this forum which are useless, and do not work.

I've even noticed over the past couple weeks that I cannot even get to this forum by simply clicking the saved link in my favs bar, or favs folder, like this forum is either shut down at times, or doesn't even exist? I refreshed-replaced both recently, thought that cured the issue, but nope, happened again this morning, could not access the forum again.

PSS: Such doesn't really bother me that much for the time being, but sad I cannot easily show pics for others to see. I am happy as a clam to be a member here, to hopefully contribute, and to learn and interact with you, and other forum members.

I already created a video showing you how to do this... It's no more than a couple of clicks. Extremely simple. Unless they have been unreported, I don't see any other users having issues displaying their photos.

http://carproforum.com/showthread.php?273-How-to-add-images-to-your-posts&p=2155#post2155

EVOlved
07-08-2014, 01:59 AM
:mad: figured I would have saw them by now. You can send them to me Mark and I'll post em up. Let me know.

Corey
07-08-2014, 03:12 AM

Thank you Mark, I have a support ticket in about the "disappearing forum" now and then :):) As for the photos - will see about removing that image box dilly as soon as thats a possibility - as it does add confusion. Photobucket or the like is the best method on all forums imo.

CH.Detailing
07-08-2014, 04:36 AM

Test test test.

CH.Detailing
07-08-2014, 04:36 AM
The text box image uploader works just fine for me.

ChrisDA
07-08-2014, 04:38 AM
The text box image uploader works just fine for me.

Yup, it works just fine as long as you don't upload an image as big as King Kong :)

zerix
07-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Perl'd some Pirelli Pzero's yesterday, wasn't immediately thrilled with how they looked, but 14hours later they look absolutely perfect, nice dark, black, non greasy finish, my favorite tire product!

DARK HORSE
07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
I love the look of PERL on tires! I dilute it 1:1, and do 2 thin coats 1/2 hour or longer apart. Amazing for sure!

richy
07-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Awesome Mark!! I did 3 layers once just for testing... There was literally a reflection on it lol. I could see myself!

I like to spray 1:1 so it's easy to spread into all lettering via foam app

How do you spray it Corey? With a regular spray bottle?

Corey
07-15-2014, 02:57 AM
How do you spray it Corey? With a regular spray bottle?

I dilute 1:1 and spray on the foam or tire and spread it in.

Corey
07-15-2014, 02:59 AM
Here's the reflection of the tape in the layered Perl - this is older version in picture-

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/15/7y5a4u4u.jpg

Wors
07-15-2014, 11:56 AM
I dilute 1:1 and spray on the foam or tire and spread it in.

This is my process for applying Perl 1:1 to tires too.

Dogrescuer
10-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Another quality that I notice between Optimum Opti Bond Gel, and PERL, and forgot to mention.

Although Opti Bond Gel is stated to be VOC free, I do not note it being mentioned that it is a water based product. While PERL dilutes with water, and stays mixed, Opti Bond does not, it seperates in the bottle. While I have used Opti Bond successfully cut with water, I just have to shake the bottle before applying.

Doesn't seem to be needed with PERL, I like that. Evidently, both products are not similar as to their chemical makeup.
I agree with having to shake OTG to get it mixed properly, although im mew to Carpro I'm not sure I will ever switch to Perl.

DARK HORSE
10-02-2015, 04:49 PM
This is my process for applying Perl 1:1 to tires too.

Same here!

rbss
10-02-2015, 07:22 PM
If I remember correctly this was 1:1 via HVLP 2 coats. The customer commented on the tires before even mentioning how nice the rest of the car looked :D

http://i60.tinypic.com/15fjhgi.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/6xsxl4.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2qn0hw5.jpg

CarPro Mexico
10-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Im going against the grain here!

1:5 on my daily driver. Oil free, satin finish, barely any gloss to it. 10:1 on dashboard and interior plastics.

In love with PERL's versatility :cool: