PDA

View Full Version : Fixer Application Problems

bigmitch
03-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Ok I'm having issues applying Fixer. I'm detailing my sons car while he's away at Navy boot camp and I've washed, Iron X'ed, ploy shaved and now wanting to apply Fixer to get the scratches out. Then planning on applying Reflect and then Cquartz UK. The vehicle is a 2002 Toyota Solara metallic black, the paint is in good shape besides some nicks here and there and light scratches in the clear coat. The paint is original so not really sure how hard it is. I'm using a Griots 6" and LC Orange Smart Pad. I pre-loaded the pad with 2 thin lines of Fixer and started out the polisher on 3 with no pressure applying the fixer to the paint to a 2X2 section and then stepped it up to 5 applying pressure and making 4 passes. Problem I'm having is that after doing my passes the fixer that is left on the paint is extremely hard to wipe off, I actually have to spray some eraser on it to get it off. Not sure if I'm applying to much as I even used a fresh pad without pre-loading and just applied 2 pea sized drops and still having the same problem. Also after I get done the light scratches are still there, so not sure if I'm not using the right pad. Not sure if Fixer is aggressive enough to remove the scratching or I need something else. Any help and info you all might be able to provide I would be greatly appreciated as I want to surprise my son with his car completely detailed when he comes home.

Corey
03-17-2015, 02:45 AM
It sounds like you may be using too much pressure and generating too much heat. Depending on the paint you will sometimes have the polish try to get into the clear.

It could be the paint hates fixer or it could be technique.

The weird part is that your not removing the scratches in the paint.

After the first use you should be cleaning the pad and adding only 4 dots for the next section. And clean again etc for the next section. Try slowing to speed 4 and see if that stops the hard to wipe off effect.

If it's sticky paint that may be the issue as well with the polish getting into the clear.

Change your methods, pressure, etc, if using a variety of ways doesn't work then the paint is asking you to use a different compound like s3xxl

What other polishes or pads do you have?

Chris@AutoCleanse
03-17-2015, 02:47 AM
After the fixer has broken down slow the machine speed down some and make a couple more passes with the slower speed. Kinda likes when it turns opacity, start slowing the speed down.

bigmitch
03-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try less pressure and slower speed to see if that helps as you might be correct that to much heat is being generated but still a little puzzled why the scratches aren't coming out. As far as pads go the only ones I have are Lake Country CCS foam pads, orange, white and blue. The only polish I have at the house is Fixer as I tossed my others (stupid me) and have Reflect to use when I was done. Any recommendations on other pads or polish I should try if this doesn't work. Again I appreciate all the help.

Corey
03-18-2015, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try less pressure and slower speed to see if that helps as you might be correct that to much heat is being generated but still a little puzzled why the scratches aren't coming out. As far as pads go the only ones I have are Lake Country CCS foam pads, orange, white and blue. The only polish I have at the house is Fixer as I tossed my others (stupid me) and have Reflect to use when I was done. Any recommendations on other pads or polish I should try if this doesn't work. Again I appreciate all the help.

Hi Mitch, was a pleasure chatting with you today! Don't hesitate to give me a ring anytime at all!

bigmitch
03-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Hi Mitch, was a pleasure chatting with you today! Don't hesitate to give me a ring anytime at all!
Corey thank you for taking the time out of your day to talk to me, it is much appreciated. Hopefully the S3XXL will work better for me. I'll let you know after I get it and give it a whirl. Thanks again.