PDA

View Full Version : Reload: Streaking issues examined & a solution to help streaking woes

Christopher.Brown
04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
This quick write up is in response to the many posting across social media platforms that deal with the issue of Reload and potential streaking issues.

Reload Application and Streaking... How to fix

I guess the best analogy would be to examine applying Reload similarly to how you would apply a spray wax.... might not make right away, but please read on.

Application Process

The first step is to dilute Reload 1:1 with water... I have found zero performance loss, with an increased user friendliness.

1] Spray the TOWEL, holding it over the panel, catching the over spray.

2] Then work Reload into the section uniformly with the application towel. The key is using as little as possible to effectively to cover the working section evenly...

►► This is a stark contrast to spraying the panel directly and saturating it. With saturation, Reload is concentrated TOO HEAVILY INTO ONE AREA and smearing ensues, which is what we DONT want.

3] Take a second towel, used ONLY for buffing the excess reload off, and wipe immediately until no excess Reload is visible. Check in appropriate light source.

Procedure should work fine if performed on cool panel. :)

TOWEL CHOICE IS VITALLY IMPORTANT.

Essentially, the shorter the pile the better. This is because the towel is simply acting as a vehicle, transporting the product to the surface. Ideally, we want the product to flash off the towel, or be completely used, once the product is rubbed adequately over the particular working section. This, once again avoids over saturation which leads to streaking, which leads to frustrated detailers chasing their tails like 10 week old puppies. :p

► For a more in-depth look at Microfiber towels please reference my article: The Magic of Microfiber pt. I – Construction & Types of Microfiber Towels (http://The Magic of Microfiber pt. I – Construction & Types of Microfiber Towels) which outlines how towels are made and their optimal uses, etc.

Longer pile towels are NOTthe best for applying products to surfaces because product can stay within the recessed areas that ARENT directly touching the surface and smear upon activation.

Hence a short pile is best suited for application processes of product to surface; JUST as Microfiber Suede is to applying the coatings, it serves as the simpest, most effective means of direct transfer of product to surface.

i hope this helps a lot of people with their streaking battles, its never served me wrong :)

Dr_Pain
04-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Great write up. The 2014 Reload was definitely a pain but I hear good things about the 2015. I am just finishing up the last of my stash of 2014 so looking forward to trying the 2015

DARK HORSE
04-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Nice write up, thanks for doing it! Agreed v2014 was definitely finicky. However I find v2015 much easier and more user friendly. While I've been using it very similarly to the procedure you've documented(except I don't dilute it): 4 or 5 sprays directly onto a microfiber towel, then spreading it out over a 2-3 ft2 section working it into the paint until almost totally gone. Then I switch to another microfiber towel for the final buff. However for experiment purposes; I've also misted it directly on the paint, used one towel to spread it around, and a second towel for the final buff. I've also misted it directly on the paint, spread it, and flipped the same towel over to the other side for the final buff (making sure to always use a fresh side of the towel)and had no issues with v2015 using any of these methods (v2014 was a different story). Obviously working on cool panels and out of direct sunlight is a must.

Ebg18t
04-30-2015, 12:39 AM
I have had no smearing issues with Reload v2015. I sprayed right on the panel, spread with one MF then finished with a second MF.

SameGuy
04-30-2015, 07:13 AM
Is it more likely to streak on clean clearcoat, or when used as a CQ topper?