PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz finest

dionisio944
04-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Hello All and I am the newest member of the forum, just spent too much money buying goodies on CarPro but looking forward to advise and tips on what to do.
My question is I just had Cquartz finest proffessionally applied almost 1 week ago, havent washed the car as I was instructed to wait at least 1 week. After I do get to wash it for the first time, I want to use touch up paint using a toothpick on some very small nicks. Will the paint stick or will it slide off now that it is coated?

Thanks in advance,
Dionisio944

Dr_Pain
04-28-2015, 06:53 PM
If the nicks were created AFTER the install then you will be able to fill in but if they were covered with Finest then..... well, let me show you a video ;)

http://youtu.be/8vZ1k-R2Zhc

richy
04-28-2015, 07:31 PM
I always do the touch up as the last step before applying the coating.

DARK HORSE
04-29-2015, 12:05 AM
How long after paint chip repairs are you guys waiting before applying the coating over them? I always struugle with this.

dionisio944
04-29-2015, 02:37 AM
Thanks for all your input guys.. So I await my package of goodies I purchased.
I'm a bit confused on how i should do the first wash( what products to use first, dilution, etc... here is all the stuff I got. Anybody want to give me a step by step on how to proceed?

Iron X (1Liter) 1
Merino Wool Wash Mitt 1
PERL-50 PERL: Plastic, Engine, Rubber, Leather (50ml) 1
Iron X Snow Soap (1 Liter) 1
Spray Bottle w/ Trigger (4 oz.) 1
CarPro Reload 500ml (V. 2015) 1
Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy Jr. (16" x 16") 1
Microfiber Madness Summit 800 (16" x 16") 2
Spotless: Water Spot & Mineral Remover 50ml 1
FlyBy30 Windshield and Glass Coating FULL KIT - 20ml 1

I Also have a water cannon and leaf blower to expedite drying.

Thanks!
Dionisio944~

richy
04-29-2015, 01:24 PM
How long after paint chip repairs are you guys waiting before applying the coating over them? I always struugle with this.

Tad, the longer the better. Let's say that in the worse-case scenario, it's the last panel I am polishing and see a chip. I will touch it up and if I need to, hit it with some compressed air to speed up the drying time. By the time I get around to that same panel, it usually has dried enough.
My method of filling the chip is to use a pointy-end toothpick and very lightly dab the paint into the chip. I'm not trying to fill it, just cover the bottom of it so no discoloration occurs.
Now, if I'm doing a key scratch repair and am using enough paint to go above the surface and will need to wet sand it, then I let it dry at least 12 hours.
Bottom line is the longer it dries the better. For a customer's car, you don't usually have the luxury of time to do that. I remember on one car that had a nasty scratch, I had the customer come by a week before I was going to correct the car and I filled in the scratch to give it a week to dry before I would be wet sanding it.
On a few rare occasions, the solvent in CQF would pull out some or all of the touch up paint if it hadn't had long enough to dry.

DARK HORSE
04-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Thank you for the very detailed response buddy! I have always struggled with this (worrying that I may not have adequate time before coating). I've been worried about pulling the paint out of the chip, as well as possible outgassing of the paint under the coating. Maybe I'm just being a little bit too OCD about it...lol. My method is very similar to yours, except when time allows I will fill the chip just above the surrounding paint in stages. I will apply a small amount of paint, then when that dries enough I will apply another small amount, and so on, and so on until it's built up. Then at least 12 hours to dry before lightly wet sanding and polishing by hand. Would you agree that in this case 3 days after the last step should be adequate before coating? Currently working on 3 bad boys that look like this(front hood sticking out like a sore thumb), and a bunch of smaller ones. Applied last layer of paint this morning, going to sand a polish tomorrow morning, would like to coat either Friday night or Saturday morning.

(sorry for the small pic, uploaded from my phone. Click to enlarge).

Corey
04-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all your input guys.. So I await my package of goodies I purchased.
I'm a bit confused on how i should do the first wash( what products to use first, dilution, etc... here is all the stuff I got. Anybody want to give me a step by step on how to proceed?

Iron X (1Liter)1
Merino Wool Wash Mitt1
PERL-50PERL: Plastic, Engine, Rubber, Leather (50ml)1
Iron X Snow Soap (1 Liter)1
Spray Bottle w/ Trigger (4 oz.)1
CarPro Reload 500ml (V. 2015)1
Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy Jr. (16" x 16")1
Microfiber Madness Summit 800 (16" x 16")2
Spotless: Water Spot & Mineral Remover 50ml1
FlyBy30 Windshield and Glass Coating FULL KIT - 20ml1

I Also have a water cannon and leaf blower to expedite drying.

Thanks!
Dionisio944~

Congrats on having your car perfected and Finest applied!

I would highly recommend Reset as your maintenance soap of choice.

The most important thing for your Finest coated vehicle is to simply wash it regularly.

So go first wash it's simply Reset, merino mitt, dry me crazy.

When washing its critical to rinse your mitt after every panel BEFORE placing the mitt back in your soap and back on the paint.

Iron X and Reload should be used every 3-12 months depending on the environment .

Reload application is as follows

#1. use on clean surface

#2. Use only in great ambient lighting (Daylight but not direct sun)

#3. Only work with one panel at a time until it looks great from all angles.

You apply as follows -

Shake well
Spray a 4-5 sprays directly onto a microfiber towel and spread out left and right and then up and down over a 2 to 2.5 sq ft area

Work it into the paint evenly until almost but not completely gone.

Switch to a fresh clean towel for final buff and remove completely whats left

Should be zero dark streaks at this point but COULD be some oily holograms in certain direct lighting.

If you have any oily holograms a water damp mf after each panel should easily remove that.

NOTE: Apply to one small panel and check in various lighting to be sure you understand proper application and that you are producing the results you want before applying to the remainder of the car.

dionisio944
04-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Congrats on having your car perfected and Finest applied!

I would highly recommend Reset as your maintenance soap of choice.

The most important thing for your Finest coated vehicle is to simply wash it regularly.

So go first wash it's simply Reset, merino mitt, dry me crazy.

When washing its critical to rinse your mitt after every panel BEFORE placing the mitt back in your soap and back on the paint.

Iron X and Reload should be used every 3-12 months depending on the environment .

Reload application is as follows

#1. use on clean surface

#2. Use only in great ambient lighting (Daylight but not direct sun)

#3. Only work with one panel at a time until it looks great from all angles.

You apply as follows -

Shake well
Spray a 4-5 sprays directly onto a microfiber towel and spread out left and right and then up and down over a 2 to 2.5 sq ft area

Work it into the paint evenly until almost but not completely gone.

Switch to a fresh clean towel for final buff and remove completely whats left

Should be zero dark streaks at this point but COULD be some oily holograms in certain direct lighting.

If you have any oily holograms a water damp mf after each panel should easily remove that.

NOTE: Apply to one small panel and check in various lighting to be sure you understand proper application and that you are producing the results you want before applying to the remainder of the car.

Corey, Thanks for the advise.. guess I missed something on my order.. now back i go to the Car pro web site to order some car pro reset.. dam..thought I bought everything I needed.. Can I return the Iron Soap and purchase the reset when it comes in on Saturday? Oh well.. live and learn.. lol!

info@passiondetailing.ca
04-29-2015, 09:50 PM
IronX Snow soap will work good, make sure you rince everything and dry accordingly.
Your Cquartz Finest will hold just fine. Make it a reload appliance every 3 months just to make sure it blings like it should.

Corey
05-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Corey, Thanks for the advise.. guess I missed something on my order.. now back i go to the Car pro web site to order some car pro reset.. dam..thought I bought everything I needed.. Can I return the Iron Soap and purchase the reset when it comes in on Saturday? Oh well.. live and learn.. lol!

Absolutely, actually text me your order number to 386-259-0759 or add a note to your new order if not placed yet and I'll add a prepaid return label in the box with your reset so that you can return the snow soap.

Thank you!!

Corey
05-01-2015, 01:53 PM
For your spotless, let's hope you never need it and regular reset washes remove all but if you ever do here are my tips -

Spray onto MF suede or MF towel and rub gently over section until spot disappears. Remove all spotless residue and neutralize with Reset wash or Ultima waterless wash.

Corey
05-01-2015, 01:54 PM
For the Flyby30, what do you have to polish/prep your glass with before application?