PDA

View Full Version : CQUK One More Try!

reillyryan
06-01-2015, 12:44 PM
So I'm giving CQUK one more try, I had previously coated a car and it only lasted about 3 months before it was rittled with water spots, contamination, etc, etc... The car was maintained about every other weekend at the most, washed with Reset, avoided using to harsh of chemicals like apc on the coating, mainly stuck with just reset, which did fairly well, and always applied Reload after the wash.. But as mentioned, the coating started to fail mostly on the flat areas like hood, roof and truck lid.. When the water spots and contamination began to appear I used spotless and Iron x to try to revive the paint (I was told these won't affect the coating, but Tar X may)but nothing could save the coat, it was gone.. So to rule out any personal error in application I'm trying it again.. I mean no other Carpro product has given me problems like this and they all have worked flawlessly, only CQUK.. I guess my questions, what are you guys seeing in durability, any comments on water spotting and contamination, and what are you guys seeing as the best methods for washing a coated vehicle, what to use, what to avoid??? Thanks

Dr_Pain
06-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Water spotting if dependent on several factors, the biggest is obviously the TDS in the water used to wash the car. Entry level coatings (in my experience) should last well beyond a year and closer to 2-3 years (YMMV) all depending on "exposure". Your washing method and use of CarPro products seems on point. Just to let you know, UK did go through a reformulation to improve water spotting so hopefully your next experience will be better than the first. One of the key to proper bonding (coating to substrate) is NEUROTIC level cleaning before coating. A quick spritz of Eraser will not do. I do 2 to 3 in depth cleanings before coating, and wipe completely dry.

reillyryan
06-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Yea the water I use to wash it with is very hard, but if its to hot outside and to bright I use a pop up tent, but usually wait till the evening to wash it, but that's no were the spots and contamination were coming from... I think that is was just from the environmental condition the car faced each day after the initial coating and after each wash. This is a daily driver with long commutes each day into heavy city areas and traffic, I almost kinda think that that is one of the main problems, the whole heavy city environment ( if you understand what I mean by that..) maybe the rain fallout is harsher then say normal suburban environment, idk, just a thought.. Now this is not my car and as I mentioned only see it when I wash about every other weekend, and while I could think that since its not mine and I don't see it everyday and lets wipe it down from time to time or catch the water spotting quicker before it can do damage... my personal vehicle has EXO V2 applied to it right now and it continues to blow my mind, I mean I have put this to the test and gone a least a month without washing or even touching the surface, but only takes a quick wash and its like the day I applied it.. I mean even just the rain will clean the surface.. what gets to me it EXO is working on my vehicle but CQUK, which should be a "stronger and better coating" cant keep up?? I tried to do the best I could to clean the surface prior to applying, using eraser multiple times, panel by panel.. Like I said Maybe I messed up somehow while applying it, and now that the coating is updated is may last longer, just wanted to get some opinions and advice or experience with it..

Avi@CP
06-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Hi, how did you apply the CQUK ? water spots can happen on any silica base coat , the other sealant you mentioned as well, if you have very hard water in your area i would suggest using Reload on top of the coat or good wax if you have .

reillyryan
06-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Applied it exactly how Corey told me to (wipe on, wipe off, small section at a time, one hour between coats, was kept in my garage for days after, not exposed to anything) actually called him the day I did it to make sure.. Again, the water spots are not coming from the water I wash with.. I know how to wash it even with the hard water and not gets spots.. While, you mention that any coatings will get water spots, the EXO that's on my vehicle has not gotten any, even after going a long periods of time without washing and being left out in the rain and sun.. And yes I used Reload after every wash.. Im guess it didn't bond correctly, not knowing exact;y why is why Im giving it another chance, hoping the new formula is better, i was mainly checking to see the best way to care for it and if products like Iron X and spotless will hurt the coating..

Corey
06-04-2015, 02:52 AM
I'm surprised you would see any problem if washing regularly with Reset.

It happens sometimes with every coating on the market like Avi said. For instance nobody can leave sprinkler water baking in the coat but just rain water with contaminants in the environment shouldn't be an issue if washed regularly.

Comparing one product on one car to another on the other car in a different environment you don't witness day to day doesn't necessarily mean a lot.

To answer your question your maintenance plan is sound.

Reset regularly
Iron x quarterly
Spotless used as directed for water spots (should wipe off super easy)
Reload as a topper especially if you have a nasty environment.

IX and spotless were made to work with it. Used as directed of course

reillyryan
06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Corey,

I did pretty much all of that, or I'm pretty sure I did, I understand the water spot issue, and I do believe the water spots were more than just rain water, but I didn't think it would make the entire coat fail all together.. Maybe I didn't let the coat sit long enough, but I remember you saying that CQUK doesn't have to sit at all, just wipe on wipe off, plus I did it down here in Louisiana during mid summer, hot and humid, so I really had no choice but to wipe off quickly, which about what its going to be again when I redo the coat.. Not sure why or how, I just know it didn't last, but instead of writing CQUK off I wanted to give it another try..

It is ok to overlap sections, like on the hood, since you cant really do it all at once??