PDA

View Full Version : MF Towels Starting to Lint

JordanL
07-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. I have noticed that some of my MF towels are linting. They range from my 300gsm to 600, and even my glass towels too. I wash my towels on hot, separated (So my exterior towels aren't being washed with towels that were used on wheels etc) and I use a free detergent and I always dry on extra low. Have you ever experienced this problem? If so, have you done anything that has prevented the towels from linting? Thanks

Wors
07-28-2014, 05:58 PM
What MFs are these? Are they Madness?

JordanL
07-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Their from MF Tech. They're the Elite Ultra Fine's, Extra Fluffy MF Quick Detail's and the glass towels are from Phil @ Detailers Domain.

Corey
07-28-2014, 07:28 PM
How old are they?

JordanL
07-28-2014, 07:33 PM
About 3-4 months now.

Docpeanut
07-28-2014, 08:52 PM
I used to think mf tech were good, the. I found out they're Chinese junk. Grab some mf madness , expensive but worth their weight in gold

JordanL
07-28-2014, 10:11 PM
I have a the waverider and absolutely love it! I think when ill have to add some more MF madness to my next order. I'm going to throw my towels in the wash again and see how that goes. If that doesn't work then I don't know what will.

ChrisDA
07-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Tip for you. Throw one of the cheap 'grabby when dry' MF from Costco etc in with your good towels. It will attract all the lint from the other towels and the others will come out lint-free.

Corey
07-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Tip for you. Throw one of the cheap 'grabby when dry' MF from Costco etc in with your good towels. It will attract all the lint from the other towels and the others will come out lint-free.

Interesting tip Chris! Never heard that before!

Corey
07-29-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a the waverider and absolutely love it! I think when ill have to add some more MF madness to my next order. I'm going to throw my towels in the wash again and see how that goes. If that doesn't work then I don't know what will.

Microfiber Madness = as good as it gets :) I love them so much!!!

MicrofiberMadness
07-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Maybe this short excursion into "linting Problems" could help a little bit.

We really appreciate that you recommend our products to solve the linting Problem and in general, we agree. But we also have to fight with these issues from time to time, sometimes we can explain the reason, sometimes not. Sometimes its a matter of application, sometimes a matter of production Quality.

So what we can tell you in General for ALL microfiber products:
-> If the surface is not SMOOTH, the risc of linting is higher than you are using a microfiber product on a smooth surface. Maybe this extreme example helps to realize the Problem:

Imagine a paint which is full of surface contamination. Rust, old bird dropping residue, bug splatter... For sure, all of us would use a clay bar to remove this stuff. But in this example we dont remove but we grab a random towel and rub over the contaminated surface. Because of this rough surface, the fibers are stopped often and it is like the surface contamination "grabs" the fibers our of the towel. If you clay the surface and do the same, the towel glides smoothly over the paint, dont leaving any lint.

For sure, there is also an important difference in Quality! A super premium made towel shouldnt lint as much as a cheap towel with poor Quality. But we would say, in the case of the example above: BOTH will leave lint!

If you now adapt this example on glass: Glass is USUALLY on your car not as smooth as your paint. A clean glass surface (UNTREATED!) is stopping a towel more than you a painted surface. Thats the reason btw why we are offering a WAFFLE WEAVE glass towel because it has less surface density and glides better over a "not so smooth" surface. Also you MOSTLY shouldnt realize a linting of a waffle weave drying towel - they are also offered as an Option for not so well maintained cars because the waffle structure glides better over rougher surfaces.

But thats not everything... unfortunately! ;-)

Even if you have perfect cleaned and smooth paint, you will realize lint! As said above, it COULD be a matter of a bad Quality towel (mostly an issue with the fluffy ones), but it must not be the main reason: If you are buffing out a wax or a sealant, or using a spray detailer, its possible that the product is sometimes hard to remove or the detailer is DURING the application not as smooth as it is when you buffed everything out. And now it Comes back to the example above: A "rough" surface (this means also if you have a sticky wax /sealant) means that the towel could "stop" on the paint and this stopping could cause linting.

If you have a combination of a rougher surface AND a poor Quality towel, this will be a nightmare for every detailer. I dont want to Name a competitor product, but you can check a Review in Coreys webshop. We have this named towel also here and we only bought it to compare the look & feel with ours. We never used it! Some day Corey showed us the Review, talking bad about this Special product and talking positive about ours. This was so ugly regarding this "other towel" that we directly grabbed it and did a comparison on a trunk in our detailing Garage... I can only say, that every word in the Review was TRUE! It was a mess! The fabric of this competitor towel was stopping even on a well maintained surface and it caused horrible linting. We gave the towel our workers and said "Please use it and tell us what you think". All of them couldnt believe how poor the glide effect was! So as you can see, ALSO the Quality of a towel is a part of the Story.

If you have a perfect surface, a perfect towel and a good product you use: There should be really less linting in any case. If you Change 1 of the 3 parts, the linting is coming to your house ;-)

Hope this could help a Little bit. We dont want to talk bad about other products, we also know that in some cases our fluffy towels could lint (remember the 3 parts above!), but usually a short pile towel or a waffle weave towel shouldnt cause any Problems in most cases...

Thomas

EVOlved
07-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Thomas that was a fantastic response!! Thank you for the great contribution.

Corey
07-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Thomas that was a fantastic response!! Thank you for the great contribution.

Agreed :) Thomas responses are similar to his products!

Dr_Pain
07-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Well, Thomas is on the case!! The explanation does make sense.

Corey
07-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Well, Thomas is on the case!! The explanation does make sense.

Agreed, it's very cool to see this explanation!

When people ask me "Waverider or Dry me Crazy?" One of my first questions is the condition of the paint the towels will be used on!

TXFIVEO
07-30-2014, 08:46 PM
One of Microfiber Madness Summit 800's us linting. It's about 3 months old and used a handful of times. Washed with a dedicated microfiber detergent also.

Corey
08-01-2014, 03:16 AM
One of Microfiber Madness Summit 800's us linting. It's about 3 months old and used a handful of times. Washed with a dedicated microfiber detergent also.

Is it being used on smooth contaminant free paint? ^^

Are the fibers certainly from the summit or from other towels washed with it?

What are you using it for? (Product and application)

MicrofiberMadness
08-01-2014, 06:15 AM
@TXFIVEO: Do you use a dryer too or do you let the towels air dry? As far as we know when we staid in USA in the past, that you guys usually put most items in dryer - in Europe thats the oposite, lots of People are afraid to dry a microfiber towel in a dryer. We RECOMMEND it because towels stay more fluffy and as you can see in the "fluff filter" (hope this is the real word ^^)that there is always a residue in there. So if you DONT dry the towels in the dryer, you should do it in the future and see if the lint gets less!

As written, especially with fluffy towels its always a risk in production process, that there is lint residue inside the towel. Problem is, that the surface is cutted with Ultra sharp blades to get softer. So the edges of fibers are splitted up and you get a great touch & feel. During this cutting process, lots of lint could be created. USUALLY the most of it gets lost during the following controll and packing steps, but sometimes not. There are single cases where the lint is so much, that you never get it off the towel - unimportant how often you wash & dry.

Beside this, please check our Explanation in last post regarding the relationship with the used products and the smoothness of the surface. You can easily check if the towel is still linting, for example when you Change the product you use (another detailer, another wax).

TXFIVEO
08-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the response. I use the towel for wax removal (Blackfire Midnight Sun), but I will be coating it with CQUARTZ UK soon. I only wash with other similar microfiber towels (microfiber detergent) and air dry. Paint is smooth, decontaminated prior to waxing.