PDA

View Full Version : well i had a detailing plan...

TruDom
09-06-2015, 02:04 AM
until i came to this site and saw all the different products. even after days of research/reading all the different car detailing waxes, polishes, and sealants i thought i had it narrowed down, now im confused again.

background: 6 month old white pearl accord. noticed more dirt/dust "sticking" to it recently.

original plan:
1. wash
2. clay bar
3. hydro2 sealant

which led me to the following questions?
after looking around this site is hydrofoam a new replacement product for hydro2?
Should i polish before hydro sealant?
Should i use IronX instead of claybar?
Should i nanoskin or claybar?

Merlin
09-06-2015, 12:25 PM
...background: 6 month old white pearl accord. noticed more dirt/dust "sticking" to it recently.

original plan:
1. wash
2. clay bar
3. hydro2 sealant

which led me to the following questions

1) Is hydrofoam a new replacement product for hydro2?
2) Should I polish before hydro sealant?
3) Should I use IronX instead of claybar?
4) Should I nanoskin or clay bar?

Dust "sticking" is usually attributed to a wax (carnauba etc.) and a few different sealants.
In my experience, Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax attracts every piece of dust for 100 miles.
CQuartz coatings are my favorite choice for low maintenance LSP. They do not attract dust.

I'm not an expert on Carpro products but let me try to help with my limited understanding.

1)
IronX and IronX Snow Foam are different products
- IronX is a paint decon chemical to remove iron particles etc. to decontaminate the paint.
- Ironx Snow Foam in a wash shampoo with IronX in it. Wash and Decon in one step.
- IronX Snow foam is not a replacement to IronX. It's a maintenance wash to keep paint clean.

Hydro2 and Hydrofoam are different products. This is how I view Hydrofoam.
- Hydrofoam is a wash shampoo with Hydro2 in the shampoo.
- Hydrofoam in a maintenance shampoo with Hydro2 in it. Wash and seal in one step.
- Hydrofoam is not a replacement to Hydro2. It's a maintenance wash to keep clean & sealed.

As you probably guessed, regular IronX and pure Hydro2 concentrate are stronger products.

2)
Once the paint is clean it can be inspected. Have you tried the "Baggie" test to check for grit?
To me this means Wash, Chemical decon with IronX, Mechanical decon with "clay" then inspect.
Do you have swirl marks, fine scratches etc.? if so I would polish the paint to correct & perfect.
Driect sunlight is my best friend and worst enemy. It is IMHO the best light for inspecting paint.

3)
As I mentioned above I use both. I do a chemical decon with IronX followed by mechanical "clay".
This process may strip LSP. In that case, whatever you use for LSP should be reapplied.

4)
Nanoskin or clay bar? I can only offer my personal experience.
I have used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel – FINE grade with ONR as a clay lube for years.
I have found that the FINE grade Nanoskin towel does not cause micro marring even in black paint.
A Side Note: Even detailing clay has different abrasive grades from course to ultra fine.
It is very rare (depending on the vehicle) that I actually reach for a detailing clay bar.

All that being said, I personally wouldn't use IronX snow Soap or Hydrofoam for maintenance wash.
Maybe once a month or longer (depends on the decon or LSP durability) I'd use a combo shampoo.
Now don't get me wrong, I use both IronX Snow Foam and HydroFoam and they are great products.
For my weekly wash I'd probably use something like Ultima Paint Guard Wash to protect the LSP.

Did that help?

TXFIVEO
09-06-2015, 01:25 PM
until i came to this site and saw all the different products. even after days of research/reading all the different car detailing waxes, polishes, and sealants i thought i had it narrowed down, now im confused again.

background: 6 month old white pearl accord. noticed more dirt/dust "sticking" to it recently.

original plan:
1. wash
2. clay bar
3. hydro2 sealant

after looking around this site is hydrofoam a new replacement product for hydro2?

Hydrofoam is a maintenance wash type product to supplement a sealant like Hydro2. IronX is a maintenance wash to remove MINOR contamination or as a periodic wash to keep the car contaminate free.

Take this course of action:
1)2 bucket wash (or Garry Dean Wash Method - imho better than the 2 bucket method)
2) Dry vehicle then spray Iron X liberally on entire car
3) After dwell time rinse car and immediately clay using IUDJ as a lube (Speedy Prep Towel for me)
4)Compound and/or polish depending on defects
5)Eraser/IPA wipe down
6)Good coating (CQuartz UK, Gloss Coat, Kamikaze ISM - my new favorite)

Corey
09-06-2015, 01:42 PM

original plan:
1. wash
2. clay bar
3. hydro2 sealant

Great info by Merlin, he nails it on all the questions needed to truly answer your questions.,

1-. Hydrofoam is a crossover. It could be used to replace Hydro2 DEPENDING on your needs.

2.- no, if I was going to polish I would use CQuartz, Reload, or Sonus Ion at that point. Then use Hydro2 in the future to add gloss if I wanted.

3/4.- depends on your contaminants - if it's iron then yes, if it's overspray then use our fine Sonus clay unless your polishing afterwards in which case you can use the poly shave block. You could use the poly shave without polishing but lots of variables so must check you are doing it correctly on one section before continuing.

TruDom
09-06-2015, 08:53 PM
awesome thanks for helpful responses. great post merlin.

as my car is 6 months old and has no scratches/defects in paint. being in texas the sun is the worst of the elements, and i use a parking garage for work.

i decided to still go with basically my original plan... really want to try hydro2.

1. wash - ultima paint guard wash
2. clay bar - sonus ultra fine clay and lubricant
3. wash again
4. hydro2
5. dry with waffle weave towel - no access to blower :(

Merlin
09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
I think you would love a Dry Me Crazy drying towel.

TXFIVEO
09-06-2015, 11:42 PM
awesome thanks for helpful responses. great post merlin.

as my car is 6 months old and has no scratches/defects in paint. being in texas the sun is the worst of the elements, and i use a parking garage for work.

i decided to still go with basically my original plan... really want to try hydro2.

1. wash - ultima paint guard wash
2. clay bar - sonus ultra fine clay and lubricant
3. wash again
4. hydro2
5. dry with waffle weave towel - no access to blower :(

Sounds good if no polishing is needed. Spot on. And just because it's 6 months old doesn't mean it doesn't need polishing. Dealers are notorious for using glazes and other fill in type products. Give it a good wash, Clay bar, and then inspect. If you are still happy with the results then Hydro2 away! I'm from Frisco, so I know the heat element here!

fdresq4
09-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Trudom,

Welcome aboard! Great great advice from Merlin...plus he has an awesome driveway...LOL!

Steve

TruDom
09-15-2015, 02:44 AM
did it yesterday and wow the whole process was easier than i expected.
impressed with the clay bar, even though there was very little dirt stuck on my paint.
super impressed with the hydro2. easy to put on and i really like the gloss/slickness of it.

i'd post pictures but they dont do it justice and just look like a white car.
cool product