PDA

View Full Version : Flex vs. Boss

craigkaeding74
10-04-2015, 04:05 AM
I have been using a flex 3401 for a couple years. We need another polisher at the shop. I have been looking at the Boss from Griots. I like the flex but wonder if the Boss is an upgrade. My main concern is that it will stop orbiting up against body lines like my PC used to. Anyone have some experience and advice.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

Daytona675
10-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Having used both, the Flex is way better for curved surfaces, but the Boss kills it on any flat/slightly curved surfaces. Haven't had it stall out on me yet. Biggest thing about the Boss is I can do an entire car and not be tired. Depending on how bad the car was, I'll be pretty exhausted using the Flex.

1600CC
10-05-2015, 02:38 AM
I went from a PC to a G110v2 to a VRG 3401 and I simply love the forced rotation of the Flex. I personally would stick with the Flex but it's all in what you feel best with.

Worthrj
11-03-2015, 12:24 PM
My friend JohhnyB just bought a Flex rotary and compared to his DeWalt rotary the flex is lighter in weight and even killed swirls with a MF rotary pad haha. I love Rupes, but I gotta say...I like the flex as well.

parttimer
11-03-2015, 12:35 PM
I have a Flex and Rupes. The forced rotation is a BEAUTIFUL thing on curvy wavy indented panels. Perhaps the new Rupes is going to solve that issue, I am tempted to sell my current 21 to get the new model when it gets released to see. Yes, the Rupes destroys imperfections and on large acres of paint, truck hoods, beds and things like that, it is a MONSTER. Hit a wheel arch and it stops. People who have mastered the rupes, my hats off to you.

Worthrj
11-03-2015, 12:56 PM
I have a Flex and Rupes. The forced rotation is a BEAUTIFUL thing on curvy wavy indented panels. Perhaps the new Rupes is going to solve that issue, I am tempted to sell my current 21 to get the new model when it gets released to see. Yes, the Rupes destroys imperfections and on large acres of paint, truck hoods, beds and things like that, it is a MONSTER. Hit a wheel arch and it stops. People who have mastered the rupes, my hats off to you.

If I go easy on the curves it will spin. I also have the Kevin brown washer mod. Any slight pressure though and I get not much from it.

Worthrj
11-30-2015, 10:08 PM
I almost forgot, I think flex is Germany and boss is china.

DapperDon
01-25-2016, 03:45 PM
That means absolutely nothing anymore. Your Nike's are made in China as well as your smartphone. The only products that come out of China that get the bad rap are from the companies that do not pay extra for quality control or have loose spec's. As a former overseas merchant, I will vouch for Griots as they pay the extra so that the spec's that they demand are in place. The very fact that they also give a lifetime warranty on their products is a very big sign that they put their money behind their products is HUGE in todays market. I have yet to take the plunge on a long throw, but I am seriously on the fence about the Boss G21 rather than the Rupes. I am waiting for a call back from their engineers as to WHY that Rupes does not stand behind their 21 Bigfoot to be fitted with a 5" pad but Griots actually encourages it. So until I have that argument settled by qualified engineers that speak my language, I am quite content to leave the rest of the bro-science about this subject on the floor.

Afterglow detailing
01-26-2016, 02:26 PM
I have the Boss 15 and it treated me well last season. I personally do not like the because it really requires two hands at all times to really drive the thing. That is probably fine if you only work on cars but when you are polishing a 40ft motorhome and you want to teach off the ladder a little bit then the flex is no fun. The Boss is very balanced and smooth.

RN - Buffer
01-27-2016, 04:34 AM
I own both the BOSS G21 and Flex 3401 and love them both. I typically use the Flex for removing wet sanding scratches from a new paint job or a paint correction that has really hard paint. I am not saying the G21 will not remove wet sanding scratches but the Flex will do it quicker. I also like to use the Flex, one handed, on speed setting one, when using a Nanoskin AutoScrub or for jeweling/LSP.

Like others have said, the G21 is faster at correcting large panels without wearing you out (it is very smooth running), unlike the Flex, it can sometimes have you wondering if you wrestled an anaconda all day!

The G21 is a beast at paint correction (I always use with washer modification) and I have not experienced any issues with pad rotation stoppage. The G21 may take the place of the Flex for removing wet sanding scratches, after I get to try the Spider Pads, Flash Pads, and Scholl line of polishes (along with Essence and Reflect) cannot wait to try these products!

Ebg18t
02-16-2016, 10:32 PM
They are both great units. It all depends on your use and technique. I have pondered getting a Rupes (I have the Flex 3401), but I just wouldn't use it enough to really justify.

Merlin
02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
They are both great units. It all depends on your use and technique. I have pondered getting a Rupes (I have the Flex 3401), but I just wouldn't use it enough to really justify.

My thoughts...If I already had a 3401 the Rupes 21 MKII would be the perfect compliment. I have both and in my case, I prefer the Rupes 21 over the 3401.

fdresq4
02-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Merlin,

Have you ever used a 15mm throw machine? As compared with a 21mm machine...

Steve

Merlin
02-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Yes...and what I wound up doing was using a 5" Rupes Backing Plate on the 21.
(Kinda like the best of both worlds)

gta88ws6
02-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Love my Rupes 21 mk1. Great at all tasks I think. Will get a mk2 when my mk1 dies...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW

Ebg18t
02-26-2016, 09:25 PM
My thoughts...If I already had a 3401 the Rupes 21 MKII would be the perfect compliment. I have both and in my case, I prefer the Rupes 21 over the 3401.

I'll probably buy a Rupes eventually. The kits only $400.

Tyler@HDR
03-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I'll probably buy a Rupes eventually. The kits only $400.

It's worth it.

I ended up going for the 15. Was tempted to use a 5" BP on the 21, but the versatility of the 15 is what got me.

So far, I absolutely love it. The new MK2 can keep its paces in the curves, as well. Just takes a bit of practice, then it's smooth sailing (almost literally!)

Merlin
03-08-2016, 03:02 PM
It's worth it.

I ended up going for the 15. Was tempted to use a 5" BP on the 21, but the versatility of the 15 is what got me.

So far, I absolutely love it. The new MK2 can keep its paces in the curves, as well. Just takes a bit of practice, then it's smooth sailing (almost literally!)

Excellent choice on the Rupes! Much better quality.

DapperDon
03-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Anyone care to chime in on what they think the real difference is between the 15 and 21? The reason I ask is because I am a known power tool superfreak and never have been a fanboy to any brand. So with that said, we have seen China's offering with the Boss, the Italians with Rupes, but not a peep yet from Germany with regards to the new Flex free spinning 15. I personally have been holding out on my purchase until Flex releases the XFE-715 150. If you look at the Flex lineup of all of their tools and not just the polishers, you see that they do not have a lot of various models. The reason for that is that everything that they make serves a very specific job and function and they produce nothing without a very substantial reason behind it. And THAT is what has me curious. Why did they just choose a 15mm orbit? Why not a 21 as well as everyone else? Something tells me that there is something behind the science of a 15mm throw that has not been discussed yet. Also Flex has taken their VERY sweet time in bringing it to market where everyone else was breaking their necks to be the first one out of the gate after SEMA last year. Something just tells me that the final discussion about long throw polishers has not been had yet.

steve.soule.10
03-16-2016, 06:41 PM
I have Rupes 15 and 21 and both are great machines. Biggest thing I can tell you is that the 21 corrects way faster due to larger throw. The 15 is a little older and doesn't seem to "drive" the pad as forcefully as the 21. Not sure if it's age or different tuning on the motors.

As for flex.... Would be very interested in seeing a forced rotation offering from them. I have the mini and absolutely love it. Very powerful and smooth. My go to machine for deep spot correction or to clean up after spot sanding.

Hope that helps!