PDA

View Full Version : CarPro's anorganic nano sized silica and health

alex_at
11-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Hi @all,

as we know some CarPro products are made of/contain nano sized anorganic silica particles. Now I am not worried about the initial application of the products, I am more worried about polishing a cquartz coated paint or byproducts by natural abrasivements from the coated leather seats. As far as I know anorganic silica can get trapped deep in your lungs and stay there. The end result - possibly - is silicosis.

Maybe I am exaggerating, but within polishing a paint there usually is dust around due to abrasion. Now in case of an car coated with cquartz the polishing dust will contain anorganic silica - which is definitely not a good thing.

I don't know about the leather or fabric coating - but I assume due to natural abrasivement there's a possibility of releasing silica compounds into the air. Especially in my case as I have a small dog who "scratches" the seat with his paws - and later on burries his nose on or in them. I'm not a chemist so I can't add any proof to my theory - all I can say is I am in love with CarPro products. They perform amazingly good and have replaced everything I have used in the past. They are really cheap for their performance and quality. But there's this potential downside in using them.

I would like to hear your thoughts about that topic.

greets,

Alex

Corey
11-13-2015, 03:14 AM
This was something I was concerned about when I first started using these products. Like you I am not a chemist but I'll share what was explained to me.

When in liquid form the particles are immersed so they can not simply float up into the air. The bigger concern as I understand it, is the fumes from solvents in coatings just as in many detailing products are sometimes very unhealthy and care should be taken not to breath them.

Your point about future scratching etc - I think in this case the scratching isn't going to pull anything up that can be inhaled. It would either be nothing or a large torn piece.

Polishing - I would advise wearing a painters mask to avoid dust from polishing a coating, a clearcoat, or anything else.

Kevin D. Hannum
11-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Good post/topic. It does get you thinking and make you want to do more research. From what I know about this also, just to go even a tad bit further from Corey's post. I wouldn't & don't think that we are in any danger. The little bit that we deal with, meaning the silica and the amount per volume, wouldn't be enough to harm us. I'm sure the chemists from these companies, especially CarPro, wouldn't put out a product like these if there was a chance to harm us, in fear of lawsuits. Like Corey said in his post, I would be more careful around the fumes/solvents and always wear the proper protection.

Again, you certainly brought up a good post. It really does makes you think.

Kevin. :)

fdresq4
11-13-2015, 05:04 PM
As has been said, Proper Protection, Respiratory, Eye, Hearing, etc.. is essential.

Just thinking out loud but wouldn't the polish material, ie liquid, help in capturing some of those soon to be contaminants to the pad?

bigd3077
11-13-2015, 08:54 PM
No glove, no love. Live by that.

Kevin D. Hannum
11-14-2015, 10:45 AM
bigd3077....HAHAHA...In more ways than one!!! :)

Kevin

Kevin D. Hannum
11-14-2015, 10:46 AM
fdresq4...Good point