PDA

View Full Version : Help me with pad selection

quebert
12-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Don't have a polisher yet, but will be getting one soon. Thought I would order some pads + polish + compounds now though. Scholls product guide shows the purple spider pad for A15+, of course they don't sell those on here. I like everything I'm reading about the Spider Pads. I see the normal 5 1/2 Scholl purple cutting pads on here, would there be a better pad I could buy on here? Polisher wise I believe I'm going to go with the Meguiar's MT300, the only use of polishers I've had was about 1.5 hours total during 2 free classes I took at Meg's HQ. So assuming I go MT300 + 5" backing plate, which pad would I want for A15+?

Also another pad question, the cut & finish rating for the white sandwich & navy blue Scholl pads are the same. I see in Scholl's PDF the whites list S3, and the blue's list S3 + S17 + S20. How much of a difference would it make if I used the sandwich pads with a17+ instead of blue? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on Scholl pads online. I think I've decided on S3 + S17 + S40 & A15+ but I can't figure out which pads.

Merlin
12-23-2015, 11:24 AM
There are hundreds if not thousands of different pads on the market.

My guess is there's hundreds (if not more) Dual Action (DA) machines on the market.

Picking the right DA IMHO depends on your usage.

Is this your first (and only) machine?
Are you going to use it every day?

Personally I prefer using a 5" backing plate and 5" and 5 1/2" pads with a DA.

IMHO basic pad rule:

Coarse pad = correction (leveling)
Soft pad = Finishing (jeweling)

If I could only have two pads they would be the 5" Carpro Flash pad and the Carpro Gloss pad.

bigd3077
12-23-2015, 05:44 PM
I'm with Merlin. I have tried many pads, but the flash and gloss pads from car pro always end up on my machine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DARK HORSE
12-23-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm with Merlin. I have tried many pads, but the flash and gloss pads from car pro always end up on my machine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Me too!!!!

fdresq4
12-23-2015, 06:27 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Can't argue with any of that.

Steve

Worthrj
12-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Corey mentioned his favorite finishing pad was a scholls. I bought it and the technology seems great. Andy from www.proficient-x.Com is also using a scholls in one of his videos on his website.

quebert
12-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Corey, if you see this maybe you csn help me. I ordered the White, Yellow & Navy Blue Spider pads off here last night. on Scholl's web site it's showing the Purple Spider for use with A15+, assuming I wanted to stay in the Scholl's line up which pad from them would you recommend? I'm not seeing the 5 1/2 Purple's here. And I'm sure my only option to get them would be order from somewhere in the UK and that's $$$.

Corey
12-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Corey, if you see this maybe you csn help me. I ordered the White, Yellow & Navy Blue Spider pads off here last night. on Scholl's web site it's showing the Purple Spider for use with A15+, assuming I wanted to stay in the Scholl's line up which pad from them would you recommend? I'm not seeing the 5 1/2 Purple's here. And I'm sure my only option to get them would be order from somewhere in the UK and that's $$$.

Hey bud! I would go with almost any of the Scholl concepts foam pads with A15 honestly. If you want little cut then go honey neo, more cut use white spider, medium to heavy cut but with really good finish go navy blue.. To answer you - for similar results to the purple spider I would go with the Navy Blue spider. Similar results on DA between the two but Navy is a more durable foam :)

I did plan to carry the purple spider and ordered a lot but ended up with regular purple (actually my mistake) but meant for them to be spider. BUT after a lot more testing since then, I personally don't find much of a place for purple that navy blue doesn't cover better.

quebert
12-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Hey bud! I would go with almost any of the Scholl concepts foam pads with A15 honestly. If you want little cut then go honey neo, more cut use white spider, medium to heavy cut but with really good finish go navy blue.. To answer you - for similar results to the purple spider I would go with the Navy Blue spider. Similar results on DA between the two but Navy is a more durable foam :)

I did plan to carry the purple spider and ordered a lot but ended up with regular purple (actually my mistake) but meant for them to be spider. BUT after a lot more testing since then, I personally don't find much of a place for purple that navy blue doesn't cover better.

Excellent, thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering 3 of each. Seems like a good number to start with. I'll probably end up ordering more Blue since I'm sure with my cheap clients I'll be doing a lot more 1 steps lol.

Corey
12-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Excellent, thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering 3 of each. Seems like a good number to start with. I'll probably end up ordering more Blue since I'm sure with my cheap clients I'll be doing a lot more 1 steps lol.

Perfect! Yes 3 will give you plenty of time for testing each with your technique and knowing what you like best. I suspect at least 2 of the 3 will be chosen to use regularly moving forward.