PDA

View Full Version : CQUK application error and fixes

josephearljones
01-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Did my first application if CQUK this past week on my new new truck. Not my first detailing rodeo, but I'm new to this product and the car pro line.

I spent about 8 hrs with decon and correction to ensure a perfect surface. My final polish was with Reflect, followed by a detailed wipe down with Eraser. By the time I set about the CQUK application it was completely dark outside, and I was working with my inadequate garage lights. This is what caused the trouble. I did what I thought to be a thorough wipe down, and removal, but once I pulled it in to direct sunlight the next day that wasnt the case. The paint has somewhat of a hazey look, with some noticeable "greasy" looking high spots.

I have since ordered Essence, and my plan is to lightly polish with Essence and then reapply a top coat of CQUK as I have some left. Should this solve my problem? Any tips (other than using adequate light this time)?

Thanks gang

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

fdresq4
01-15-2016, 09:53 PM
Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear of your issues. Depending Essence should work but keep that REFLECT handy. You "may" need it, depending on the correction. Normally any high spots or issues are easily handled with REFLECT and a light polishing, tis was prior to ESSENCE of course.
If I may suggest, make sure you have ample Microfiber suede applicators and the same but larger clothes. As you have found out...LIGHTING is extremely important.

In my case, temps were 63 degrees and 37% humidity. Test a small area prior to full application so you can establish timing from application to successful removal. It's a good idea to establish a baseline.

One of the senior Pro members will chime in to give even better help. Can you post pics and tell us your weather conditions?

Steve

josephearljones
01-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear of your issues. Depending Essence should work but keep that REFLECT handy. You "may" need it, depending on the correction. Normally any high spots or issues are easily handled with REFLECT and a light polishing, tis was prior to ESSENCE of course.
If I may suggest, make sure you have ample Microfiber suede applicators and the same but larger clothes. As you have found out...LIGHTING is extremely important.

In my case, temps were 63 degrees and 37% humidity. Test a small area prior to full application so you can establish timing from application to successful removal. Although UK is designed for cooler climates it's a good idea to establish a baseline.

One of the senior Pro members will chime in to give even better help. Can you post pics?

Steve
Thanks for chiming in Steve! The weather has been really crappy this past week and my truck is filthy, you can no longer see the high spots as they are covered by dirt.

fdresq4
01-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Here's a post that could help you...

http://carproforum.com/showthread.php?3251-Couple-high-spots-CQUK

http://carproforum.com/showthread.php?299-CQuartz-UK-application-gone-wrong

josephearljones
01-16-2016, 07:37 PM
It will likely be a couple of weeks before I can get to correcting this issue, and I'm starting to wonder how much effort it would take to remove the coating using reflect and start with a clean slate?

Is this something worth worrying about? Is there any concern with recoating a vehicle if there are varying thickness of application? For example, if I remove the high spots and reapply CQUK in these areas is there any concern with the areas where the spot coat would overlap the existing?

TXFIVEO
01-16-2016, 08:45 PM
CQuartz UK looks great on my wife's SUV...but it is finicky to deal with. I know exactly where you are coming from. Once applied correctly it will look great. Going on two years and going strong on the SUV. Had similar issues on my sled so polished it off and went with a more user friendly coating...Gloss Coat.

Worthrj
01-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear Jose, let me first start off by saying, I am completely unqualified to chime in compared to the experts here, and I really think and believe they are, so anything I say take it lightly.
1. Lights, lights, lights, and more lights.
2. I did what Corey did, applied cquk directly out in the ambient lighting. I even applied it on warm panels that were in the sun, because I honestly wanted to test cquk.
3. rags, rags, rags, and more rags.
4. Get it on quick, and for me at least (take this lightly) wait 30 seconds to "level out" and wipe that panel faster than an Olympic sprinter with a large suede cloth.
5. get an orange boa mf towel immediately and wipe again fast.
6. be thorough in the wipe down, not missing any spots
7. enjoy the results.

At the end of the day, this stuff is just wipe on, hang out for a half minute maybe less, wipe off, wipe off more, wipe off again and again. I waited about 3 hours and then put reload on.
Watch some youtube videos. The detailers that are actually in the "UK" are wiping off with just plain old mf towels.

From my findings, the big three are:
1. prep work
2. wipe off fast and thorough
3. and wipe off again fast and thorough.

I'll send you a pm with some pictures of my own.

Cooter
01-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Please stay on topic about cq-uk. This does not require bring up another coating product from another company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fdresq4
01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
It will likely be a couple of weeks before I can get to correcting this issue, and I'm starting to wonder how much effort it would take to remove the coating using reflect and start with a clean slate?

Is this something worth worrying about? Is there any concern with recoating a vehicle if there are varying thickness of application? For example, if I remove the high spots and reapply CQUK in these areas is there any concern with the areas where the spot coat would overlap the existing?

I wouldn't worry about addressing it. It shouldn't take too great an effort in removing the CQUK with the REFLECT or Essence. The high spots I have dealt with where removed without much effort. In that case, I was dealing with "spots." CQUK can be overlapped with CQUK and the only unevenness should be with regards to high spots not being properly "wiped down."
Without seeing your vehicle it is hard to say exactly what you have. This is where the lighting is key, which goes with ANY coating. I'm not a pro but have completed CQUK applications with very little issues. Wipe down timing will be dependent on atmospheric conditions...temp, humidity, etc.
Corey has some videos with regards to the application process along with some other fine Pro's. Just make sure you watch the CQUK ones since there is a CQ Classic, CQ, and CQ Finest which is installed by pro's. The latter you can not get unless you meet the requirements set forth.
Take the time now to secure great lighting and application videos.

Here is a post of mine....

http://carproforum.com/showthread.php?1137-2014-Nissan-Pathfinder-CQuartz-UK-coating

Some may be sick of seeing it, LOL, but for a hobbyist, this is one of my proudest moments. The biggest reasons for our success were

1. This site

2. The folks, pro and nonpro, who I have learned from.

It can be done Joe and no doubt you will achieve the results you are looking for.

Steve

steve.soule.10
01-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Most likely the high spots and hazy areas will clean up with light machine polishing of isolated areas. Recoat areas being careful to buff down well where overlap occurs.

Guessing that the hazy is likely areas that weren't buffed down completely during removal process.

In my experience with UK removal process is critical. Heat and humidity both seems to effect it. Initial removal wiping action may need to be somewhat firm followed by decreasing pressure to remove haziness and halo'ing.

Hope that helps.

josephearljones
01-19-2016, 02:02 AM
Gave it a wash today with reset. The water/dirt repellency of the coating is great. Here is an example of one of the high spots, there are several. It will likely be a few weeks still before I'm able to address this.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/18/1d1fa2c52be3f987e16464fd8fb282db.jpg

DARK HORSE
01-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Yes, that's definitely a high spot where the product was not completely wiped off before it cured. As others have mentioned, good ambient lighting and checking the panels from different angles before moving on is key to avoiding this.

Worthrj
01-19-2016, 06:54 PM
The rest of the vehicle looks bling.