PDA

View Full Version : Well I royally botched my CQuartz application today

chadg
04-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Today was the fourth time I've applied CQuartz on a vehicle, and my previous experiences were met with great success. Unfortunately, today I learned the hard way that 45 additional minutes before product removal can make more than a huge difference.

I spent two days of my vacation this week getting my Camaro back in shape after receiving some small paint damage over the course of the last 1.5 years (the previous CQuartz application was still going strong!). On Thursday I spent 11.5 hours getting the paint ready for the CQuartz application (2 bucket wash > clay > 2 bucket wash > 2 stage polish (Menzerna FG400 + Orange LC pad and SF4500 + White LC pad)). This morning I pulled the car out and did another 2 bucket wash with Reset, then went over the car with Eraser and my Microfiber Madness Yellow Fellow towels. I moved on to the CQuartz application at 1230, and after coating the car went inside at 1310 to get something to eat really quick. Big mistake. Even bigger mistake was answering the telephone while I was inside, so by the time I got back out to the garage (the car was inside the garage with the doors closed) it was nearly 1400. I quickly found that the coating was EXTREMELY difficult to remove (I usually try to remove after 45 minutes, but think I will remove after 30 minutes next time).

In desperation I used some Reload to try to help take down the high spots in the coating, but after an hour found myself with the hood complete but the coating on successive panels getting harder and harder to remove. After failing miserably to get the coating off of the next set of panels and my arms failing after 3 hours of work, I decided to quit.

My plan now is to polish the car again with either a black or white LC pad and Menzerna SF4500 to get the coating off and then try again. Unfortunately I'm not going to have time to do this until next weekend, and am going to keep the car parked in the garage until then. Any thoughts or advice? I'm really bummed out.

Corey
04-18-2016, 02:05 AM
Hey buddy, Yes... Beyond 1-5 minutes (depending on temps) you are getting into some serious trouble. 45 is WAY beyond what will work. Man, I'm so sorry to hear you left it on that long :( well, even with a finishing polish, light pad and machine polishing it will level out very easily at this point. Then eraser and just top it off with a new level coat and you will be golden. You don't have to try to polish it off completely. Just level it to get clarity back and then eraser and coat.

Best,
Corey

chadg
04-18-2016, 02:22 AM
Hey buddy, Yes... Beyond 1-5 minutes (depending on temps) you are getting into some serious trouble. 45 is WAY beyond what will work. Man, I'm so sorry to hear you left it on that long :( well, even with a finishing polish, light pad and machine polishing it will level out very easily at this point. Then eraser and just top it off with a new level coat and you will be golden. You don't have to try to polish it off completely. Just level it to get clarity back and then eraser and coat.

Best,
Corey

Yeah . . . had a senior moment . . . I had no idea the new formula cured that much more quickly!