PDA

View Full Version : How to clean tar/tiny black dots?

aboulfad
05-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Hi,

If you run your hand after washing your car, you'll surprisingly feel lots of "contaminants" on the paint, some visible and some not. The ones you can see are tiny black dots, maybe tar, brake dust, tire rubber, ... stuck to the paint. (If you don't feel anything w bare hands, put your hand in a thin ziploc bag and run it)

I tried from gentle to more aggressive methods, the only method that worked was claying the area but that could strip whatever sealant/wax though not sure about if claying removes CQUK. Anyone has those tiny black dots and any method that is sealant/wax safe to get rid of them? TIA.

PS: Car is garaged at home/work, wash every 3 weeks. Had full prep in Dec w CQUK.
PPS: no, this isn't artillery fungus.

Yanksautodetailing
05-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Have you tried Tar-X or Iron-x? Could be iron dots. Usually they are more orange/yellow. Claying shouldn't take off UK as long as it is not aggressive claying.

aboulfad
05-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks, I've tried an equivalent product (Sonax Fallout cleaner) but very little effect. These are small black dots, not orange/yellow and they cling to the paint... Claying did help, but I wanted something that may not introduce some imperfections to the paint (I.e. Micro marring).

fdresq4
05-06-2016, 07:04 PM
The equivalent product you used will address the metal ferrous contaminants. As Yanks suggested try the Tar X. If the black dots are petroleum based, the TarX will address it, IF it is a tar/oil substance.

TRIX is also another good product...http://www.carpro-us.com/paint-decontamination/carpro-trix-tar-iron-remover-1-liter-32-oz/

aboulfad
05-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Darn, I just made and received an order of carPro products! Ah well Trix will wait till next time. fallout cleaner didn't remove them, I had to apply that product followed by using nanoskin blue pad to remove them. It seems they require some combination of chemical and mechanical removal or just claying.

fdresq4
05-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Yes, hence why the Tar X or Trix will help you if those dots are petroleum based. TRIX is a great all around product for decoding. If I have to deal with real heavy tar issues, when roads are chipped and sealed, the Tar X is the way to go.

Dogrescuer
05-07-2016, 09:30 AM
The best product that I ever used for BAD tar is karnak, done.

Alex Boyce
05-09-2016, 02:24 AM
Tar-X does the trick for me and it doesn't degrade the coated surface... I LOVE that stuff!