PDA

View Full Version : PERL: White residue on tire after rain

aboulfad
06-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Hi,
I have read on this issue on another forum, and the consensus is that a thorough cleaning is required before applying PERL on tires. I did exactly that (TUF shine and scrub few times, decreased with Tar, rinsed, applied PERL). Yesterday it rained a bit, when I got home the tires were discoloured with this white residue.

Now it it could be many factors, and I don't expect PERL to survive a heavy downpour but why this not so pleasing to the eye effect? And what to do about it so it doesn't happen again? Thanks.
P.s. The tire is no longer new and has been cleaned many times.

fdresq4
06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
In your post, you noted that you decreased with Tar. I know I hate my auto correct sometimes...lol. What did you actually mean to say? I'm guessing something with a tar remover? I'm not wondering if just your first step was all that was needed?

I say that because, one time, I had gotten some Tar remover on my mud flap, and the same thing happened. After some cleaning with an APC and Reset, it was gone.

Steve

aboulfad
06-15-2016, 11:58 AM
@fdresq4, Alter clearing with TUF shine and rinsing, I make a pass with a Tar decon to really clean. That was a tip from a Detailer on another forum. Then I apply the PERL. If it's some kind of bad chemical interaction, I'll thoroughly clean (TUF shine) and rinse the tires and do just PERL.
(sorry had to comment, but your avatar is super cute and funny :o)

fdresq4
06-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Yeah, just clean with your cleaner and skip the extra step on the tire itself. After you run out of T.S., you may want to try the Shine Supply Wise Guy Tire cleaner...I like it!

Glad you liked my avatar. We need more laughter in the world. Plus, I love dogs.

Steve

KB in MD
06-16-2016, 12:54 PM
I think it's your tar remover. Some tar removers that I've used in the past left a chemical film that I always had to remove with a APC.

PWP Detailing
06-16-2016, 01:09 PM
I'll second the shine supply tire cleaner for your next product. I just started using it and I couldn't be happier.

aboulfad
06-16-2016, 02:42 PM
I think it's your tar remover. Some tar removers that I've used in the past left a chemical film that I always had to remove with a APC.

Ok I thoroughly cleaned with APC and TUF shine cleaner until nothing is left. The tires are now flat black dull! I'll let them dry and then apply PERL 1:1. One thing I noticed if you don't wipe the tire after, sometimes PERL leaves lines and dots. I apply with a tire sponge with PERL sprayed on it.

fdresq4
06-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Good deal. I'm assuming your applicator has no other product, such as another tire dressing.

Hopefully this will do it. As a side note, I had tried a tire coating awhile back. I scrubbed the tires about 15 times each. Believe it or not, the tires on my wife's Subaru just never took the stuff. I think they were Cooper Tires. The other tires, Michelin and Bridgestones were fine. Not sure if Cooper may have had something in them but I have heard that from other people too.

Steve

aboulfad
06-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Good deal. I'm assuming your applicator has no other product, such as another tire dressing.

Hopefully this will do it. As a side note, I had tried a tire coating awhile back. I scrubbed the tires about 15 times each. Believe it or not, the tires on my wife's Subaru just never took the stuff. I think they were Cooper Tires. The other tires, Michelin and Bridgestones were fine. Not sure if Cooper may have had something in them but I have heard that from other people too.

Steve
15 times :cool: I only scrubbed like 4 to 5 times... And yes that pad miso my dedicated for PERL 1:1 and for tires, and I clean it after every application. My tire is a Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

fdresq4
06-16-2016, 03:18 PM
15 times :cool: I only scrubbed like 4 to 5 times... And yes that pad miso my dedicated for PERL 1:1 and for tires, and I clean it after every application. My tire is a Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

You know, sometimes I have nothing better to do...LOL!

Good deal let us know.

Steve

aboulfad
06-18-2016, 12:08 AM
Ok applied PERL and wait for the next rain to see if any white residue or discolouring shows. I could swear that the Michelin guy looks sarcastic when he's shiny!!!

fdresq4
06-18-2016, 12:15 AM
Needs his rearend kicked..lol