PDA

View Full Version : 89 Mustang & Cquartz UK

bryanviper
09-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Hello All,

So my cousin just picked up a 89 Mustang & he wants me to polish it and will probably end up putting Cquartz UK on it also.

My question is if its a single stage paint job can I still put Cquartz uk on it or does it need a clear coat on it?

Thanks

DARK HORSE
09-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Hello bryanviper, If you cousin's "89" (or earlier) Mustang is original factory paint, then yes most likely it is single stage paint. As far as using CQ coatings on SS paints; yes you can. However with that being said, I must warn you that durability may not be as good as what can expected on modern day BC/CC paints. I have applied CQ coatings to several SS paints and have had roughly a 70% success rate of achieving the expected durability of 2+ years. For the other roughly 30%, the coating failed within the first 6 months. I know it's not a straight cut and dried answer, but I hope that helps.

bryanviper
09-08-2016, 11:15 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the info.

I found out that the car was re-painted about 6 years ago in the USA. Also its pretty shiny so he thinks it has a clear coat on it.

Hello bryanviper, If you cousin's "89" (or earlier) Mustang is original factory paint, then yes most likely it is single stage paint. As far as using CQ coatings on SS paints; yes you can. However with that being said, I must warn you that durability may not be as good as what can expected on modern day BC/CC paints. I have applied CQ coatings to several SS paints and have had roughly a 70% success rate of achieving the expected durability of 2+ years. For the other roughly 30%, the coating failed within the first 6 months. I know it's not a straight cut and dried answer, but I hope that helps.

Mark
09-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the info.

I found out that the car was re-painted about 6 years ago in the USA. Also its pretty shiny so he thinks it has a clear coat on it.

One way you will then know for sure either way, is when you do any polishing processes. That if you don't see any red paint transfer to the pads-towels, you can assume it was a 2-stage re-paint, and is clear coated.