PDA

View Full Version : Coating leveling

JChastain
04-16-2017, 07:32 PM
What product is best for leveling the coating? Microfiber suede or the lint free orange microfiber?

DARK HORSE
04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Wiping with only the Suede towels "can" sometimes leave high spots, so I recommend using the CarPro Boa http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-...range-24-x-16/ towel after the suede (this ensures total residue removal). Here's a guide that may help you further... http://carproforum.com/showthread.php?4190-CQUK-Questions-Answered-Here

JChastain
04-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Thank you. Do you have to get the paint absolutely perfect on every square inch before applying the coating or do you spend the most time on your flat areas and most visible spots?

DARK HORSE
04-17-2017, 01:27 PM
That's a personal choice. I personally prefer to prefect that paint as much as possible before applying the coating. Remember once you apply it, defects will be locked in and slightly magnified.

JChastain
04-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Gotcha makes sense. Thank you

Mark
04-18-2017, 01:52 AM

That's what I used when I coated my Tahoe with CQ UK, 2 Orange Boa Towels.

The Coating laid down so smooth and level, I swear, I debated even using the Boa's after. But I did, not to try something unorthodox per Corey's tips. All came out great.

Here's a pic from last week. New wheels and tougher tires. Wishing to move north, will need those BFG All Terrain T/A's on board.

DetailRay
04-20-2017, 06:21 PM
That truck looks amazing Mark so much gloss and depth in that white paint.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Mark
04-29-2017, 08:06 PM
That truck looks amazing Mark so much gloss and depth in that white paint.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you Ray. I ordered this SUV fully loaded and took delivery of it in Oct 1996. Hard to showcase White Paint in pics, but with eyeball right to the surface, and a very close examination under just about any light, the paint looks as good as it did over 20 years ago. (Vehicle has 39K on the ODO)

The quality of paint refinement I got with Wolfgang Polishes and D/A, and with CQuartz UK as the protectant was the wisest thing I've ever done to that vehicle. Everything else I tried fell considerably short. Especially in regard to protection against Paint Marring.

The entire rest of the truck (Trim, Lights, and Wheels) wears CQuartz DLX.

It has to be about 3 years ago that I polished and coated the vehicle. It basically sits covered when not in use for the past 4 years, so it's "sort of" like a "Garage Queen".

But that CQuartz UK Application looks, and is holding up like I just coated it just a couple months ago.

The paint still displays great gloss, no swirls-marring, and still exhibits a hard as a rock protection on board. Same with the CQ DLX everywhere else. Both killer products which have little to no peer IMO.

All I've used since coating the entire vehicle all along is Carpro Reload everywhere, nothing else.

While one might say "I'm cheating a bit" because it's covered, you should experience the weather we have here in this Desert NM Town.

Often very high winds, 40-50mph which is not uncommon on a daily basis, which cause the cover to billow and rub the paint, and the combinations of two different kinds of dusts available to really mess up a vehicle, the brown dusts from the ground, and the very abrasive "White Dusts" from living just a few miles east of the largest Gypsum Field on the planet, White Sands Missile Range-White Sands National Monument.

I'm for sure a "Carpro Believer", that any other vehicles come into my possession in the future which are worthy of great care, Carpro will top my list for protection!

JChastain
04-29-2017, 08:28 PM
Does the UK offer better protection than standard? Also I thought you can apply UK and standard to wheels and plastic instead of having to buy Dlux...

The Guz
04-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Does the UK offer better protection than standard? Also I thought you can apply UK and standard to wheels and plastic instead of having to buy Dlux...

These graphics are good in this thread

http://carproforum.com/showthread.php?4529-Announcing-CQuartz-Professional

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/amiracledetailing/Carpro/CQuartz%20Chart.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/amiracledetailing/Carpro/CQuartz%20UK-Chart.jpg

You can technically apply any coating on the wheel. DLUX has a higher heat resistance making it more durable for wheels. Hopefully someone chimes in with your question about plastics.

razkole
05-08-2017, 12:07 AM
Are CarPro Suede MicroFiber reusable. Getting ready for my 2nd coating ever and if remember correctly they harden after use. Are they washable with a microfiber solution? Thanks!

Crooz1n
05-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Not sure if its "allowed" but I dropped mine in a car wash soap bucket with wash product in it, to keep them wet as I was completing my application Saturday/ Once completed I immediately washed all towels and suedes used in Microfiber restore and some APC. Seems like they are Ok or at least would be Ok for wheels at very least. They did not harden up and I had one new one left and didn't seem different to my touch washed to new.1038

DARK HORSE
05-08-2017, 01:06 PM
I personally do not reuse them. I find they are very inexpensive as far as peace of mind goes. Yes they will harden with silica crystals and could potentially mar the paint you just spent hours or days correcting. To me, not worth the chance. However, I know many people do reuse them. They immediately drop the used suede into a bucket of strong APC warm water mix, then wash them thoroughly after the install. If you are going to reuse them, do this!

Merlin
05-08-2017, 01:39 PM
I personally do not reuse them. I find they are very inexpensive as far as peace of mind goes. Yes they will harden with silica crystals and could potentially mar the paint you just spent hours or days correcting. To me, not worth the chance. However, I know many people do reuse them. They immediately drop the used suede into a bucket of strong APC warm water mix, then wash them thoroughly after the install. If you are going to reuse them, do this!

When coating...I personally don't like/use the thin suede towels.
I prefer using the CarPro 2 Face (No Lint) 16" x 16" (https://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-towels/carpro-2-face-no-lint-16-x-16/) for coatings.
Some folks immediately put the towels in a bucket water/APC.
...and yes, I only use them once...for me it's not worth the risk.

DARK HORSE
05-08-2017, 01:48 PM
When coating...I personally don't like/use the thin suede towels.
I prefer using the CarPro 2 Face (No Lint) 16" x 16" (https://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-towels/carpro-2-face-no-lint-16-x-16/) for coatings.
Some folks immediately put the towels in a bucket water/APC.
...and yes, I only use them once...for me it's not worth the risk.
^^Agreed, however I use the thin suedes first for initial wipe off, then follow up with CarPro 2 Face towels for final wipe

razkole
05-10-2017, 01:57 AM
^^Agreed, however I use the thin suedes first for initial wipe off, then follow up with CarPro 2 Face towels for final wipe

thanks for the quick response guys appreciate the help. I was leaning on not reusing them and this made my decision thanks!

AbsoLust CarCare
05-31-2018, 01:22 AM
Is that allow to spray some diluted 1:20 ech2o to level the coating to reduce highspot leftover?