PDA

View Full Version : 1st time applying Cquartz, Plan of attack

GMTech
05-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Hello,
With the long weekend coming up I am gonna apply Cquartz to my truck. Please let me know how my plan sounds.

1. Touch up compound and polish to remove old optimum gloss coat using menzerna fg 400 and sf 3500. Using eraser to clean after each panel.

2. Completely wipe truck again with eraser.

3. Apply Cquartz waiting an hour between coats. Will try to do 3 coats on entire truck or at least most vulnerable areas, hood, front bumper, fenders, etc.

4. Debating on applying reload an hour after the final Cquartz coat or waiting longer such as 12-24 hours. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Truck will be garage kept for at least 48 hours after application.
Any ideas to add would be appreciated. Thanks!

DARK HORSE
05-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Hello,
With the long weekend coming up I am gonna apply Cquartz to my truck. Please let me know how my plan sounds.

1. Touch up compound and polish to remove old optimum gloss coat using menzerna fg 400 and sf 3500. Using eraser to clean after each panel.

2. Completely wipe truck again with eraser.

3. Apply Cquartz waiting an hour between coats (see below). Will try to do 3 coats on entire truck or at least most vulnerable areas, hood, front bumper, fenders, etc.

4. Debating on applying reload an hour after the final Cquartz coat or waiting longer such as 12-24 hours. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Truck will be garage kept for at least 48 hours after application.
Any ideas to add would be appreciated. Thanks!

I personally like to wait as long as possible after coating to apply Reload. Here's some additional info:

Directions:
•Apply in shade only and not on hot surfaces
•After polishing your vehicle use CarPro Eraser to wipe down the surface to ensure no oils are left from polishing
•Wrap a mf Suede (included) around the applicator block (also included)
•Wrap Suede over the gray side of the foam applicator block.
•Shake bottle well
1.Drag one or two lines of product down the applicator.
2.Wipe across surface in a crisscross pattern. Add more product as needed.
3.Wait between 1-5 minutes depending on temps, humidity, and paint and find the right window to wipe when you’re doing your first panel. Generally in summer temps 2-3 min. Too soon and it will still be oily. Too late and it becomes hard to remove.
4.Switch out the 4" Suedes every 2+/- panels
5.Additional coats may be applied with 45-60 minutes or wait until the following day if you are beyond 60 minutes. CarPro recommends 2 coats

After Tips:
•Keep surface dry for at least one hour after application
•Wipe any water off the surface during the first 24 hours after application
•Avoid washing with soap for the first 5 days

Maintenance:
•Reload may be applied one hour (in cold) or 40 minutes (in hot) after CQuartz is wiped off
•Wash with Reset regularly
•Treat with Iron X every 3-12 months
•Treat with Reload or Hydrofoam as you wish

Precautions:
•Do not apply in direct sun or on hot surface
•Any towels that are used for application or wiping off the coating residue should be demoted
•Wear hand protection (disposable gloves)
•We always recommend using proper respiratory protection when using chemicals.

Julien
10-27-2017, 12:19 PM
5.Additional coats may be applied with 45-60 minutes or wait until the following day if you are beyond 60 minutes. CarPro recommends 2 coats

1) About to apply today and want to do 2 coats. So you either apply the 2ed coat RIGHT away or you MUST wait 24 hours? Which is best and what is the technical reason the 2ed coat can be applies right away but if NOT you must wait 24 hours?

2) I understand you must dispose of your towels after removing CQuartz but what about after using Reload? Since Reload also contains silica can you reuse the towels or do you dispose of them too?

3) Also DON'T use Reload on the 1st coat of CQuartz before applying a 2ed coat (Reload between CQuartz coats)?

The Guz
10-27-2017, 04:39 PM
1) About to apply today and want to do 2 coats. So you either apply the 2ed coat RIGHT away or you MUST wait 24 hours? Which is best and what is the technical reason the 2ed coat can be applies right away but if NOT you must wait 24 hours?

If you have the time the 45-60 min window is fine. If you run out of time you can always wait for the next day. Either way would work.

2) I understand you must dispose of your towels after removing CQuartz but what about after using Reload? Since Reload also contains silica can you reuse the towels or do you dispose of them too?

Perfectly fine to reuse towels with Reload. The silica content is not as high as a coating.

3) Also DON'T use Reload on the 1st coat of CQuartz before applying a 2ed coat (Reload between CQuartz coats)?

That is correct. You want the second coat to bond to the first coat.

Julien
10-27-2017, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I actually just got through with the CQuartz (2 coats). I did have about 90 minutes between coats (I had to refuel) but it seem to adhere fine and flash the same. Even managed to put 3 on the hood. Had or needed to do today. It was 72º, sunny and low humidity. Tomorrow is rain all day and a high of only 55º. Will put Reload on tomorrow. Looks fantastic and my back is VERY tired. Did make a small mistake. 2 small drops fell on the passenger's door and ran about 3" and didn't notice for about 15 minutes.

The Guz
10-28-2017, 05:43 AM
Thanks, I actually just got through with the CQuartz (2 coats). I did have about 90 minutes between coats (I had to refuel) but it seem to adhere fine and flash the same. Even managed to put 3 on the hood. Had or needed to do today. It was 72º, sunny and low humidity. Tomorrow is rain all day and a high of only 55º. Will put Reload on tomorrow. Looks fantastic and my back is VERY tired. Did make a small mistake. 2 small drops fell on the passenger's door and ran about 3" and didn't notice for about 15 minutes.

Looking forward to some photos.

Julien
10-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Had a crazy idea and it may have worked. Was thinking that since CQuartz is petroleum based and needs to cure for at least 24 hours that isopropyl might remove it or at least some of it. So got up early this morning less than 12 hours after and tried it. It seems to have removed almost all of the drop spots. I'm thinking it also removed all the CQuartz so I have applied a coat to the spot. it is still hard to tell since I'm going by garage light and flashlight. Hope I didn't't do anything bad by trying this method but from what I can see it looks good. Have a coat applied right now and waiting to flash (got to be carful since can't see will and humidity is up a little). Have just enough CQuartz left for one more coat on the spot too.

Wish I had thought of this yesterday right after I found the drop spots. Would have probably been 100% effective then.

Any thoughts of this?

Here is a (not too good) pic of the spots from last night by iPhone flash only light.

fdresq4
10-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Julien,

With regards to question 2, the smaller applicator suedes get tossed. As far as the towels used for removing, it is advised to have a bucket with water and All Purpose Cleaner and place the removal towels in that bucket. Let them soak and wash as you would any microfiber product. Doing this will help remove the residue from the CQ from bonding with your towels. After washing in a machine, they will be ready to use again.
I also do the same practice with RELOAD.

Julien
10-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Took a pic of the spots in sunlight in the LA Fitness parking lot. Sorry for the dust but when I came out they had blow off the lot. However the spots and runs were removed by the isopropyl 12 hours after applying. Is this a know property of CQuartz that it can be removed if you make a mistake? Seems like it should be the FAQs since it came in handy in my case.

fdresq4
10-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Took a pic of the spots in sunlight in the LA Fitness parking lot. Sorry for the dust but when I came out they had blow off the lot. However the spots and runs were removed by the isopropyl 12 hours after applying. Is this a know property of CQuartz that it can be removed if you make a mistake? Seems like it should be the FAQs since it came in handy in my case.

What do you mean by “runs?” If you used the ipa you may have removed the coating. No water for 24 hours, no soap for 7 days, and no strong cleaners for 30 days.

Julien
10-30-2017, 10:35 PM
What do you mean by “runs?” If you used the ipa you may have removed the coating....

Did you read my post #5 (last 2 sentences only needed) and read and look at the pic in my post #7 (rhetorical:D )?

fdresq4
10-30-2017, 10:41 PM
Did you read and look at the pic in my post #7 (rhetorical:D )?
I did and I’m having trouble descifering the pic. I have never had runs when applying CQuartz, assuming that you are referring to an over abundance of liquid running down the body panels.

Julien
10-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Here you go and also at the top is a lip and the actual drops were on the lip and ran down. Just for reference the pics are at different and probably confusing angles, sorry. I can now see how it is unclear. The one that shows the runs is taken looking down and from the back (front tire top right) while the after shot is looking front to back (door 'handle' top left).

Julien
10-31-2017, 08:26 AM
Here are a couple of pic that also show them. Again both taken at night inside my garage and using the iPhone flash only. Was much more obvious in daylight but didn't't think to take any pics since I thought at the time it was 'permanent'.

Cooter
10-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Is that runs in the clear or runs of Cquartz? Too much product is what I'm gonna say.

Julien
10-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Is that runs in the clear or runs of Cquartz? Too much product is what I'm gonna say.

Post #5

....Did make a small mistake. 2 small drops fell on the passenger's door and ran about 3" and didn't notice for about 15 minutes.

Post #7

Had a crazy idea and it may have worked. Was thinking that since CQuartz is petroleum based and needs to cure for at least 24 hours that isopropyl might remove it or at least some of it. So got up early this morning less than 12 hours after and tried it. It seems to have removed almost all of the drop spots. I'm thinking it also removed all the CQuartz so I have applied a coat to the spot. it is still hard to tell since I'm going by garage light and flashlight. Hope I didn't't do anything bad by trying this method but from what I can see it looks good. Have a coat applied right now and waiting to flash (got to be carful since can't see will and humidity is up a little). Have just enough CQuartz left for one more coat on the spot too.

Wish I had thought of this yesterday right after I found the drop spots. Would have probably been 100% effective then.

Any thoughts of this?...

Post #9

Took a pic of the spots in sunlight...However the spots and runs were removed by the isopropyl 12 hours after applying. Is this a know property of CQuartz that it can be removed if you make a mistake? Seems like it should be the FAQs since it came in handy in my case.