PDA

View Full Version : New To Detailing; Essence Plus

Relethg
06-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Hi,

New to the world of real detailing and wanted to add some protection and fixes to my scratched up 2017 tacoma (Inferno Paint color). The scratches are from branches and bushes when off roading. I wanted to make them look better without paint correction as I will continue to get them. Someone on Tacoma world recommended essence plus. So I gave it a try. I new the scratches would not go completely away and will probable it the truck painted correct end of summer this year or next. I am worried about getting fixed every year and eating through the clear coat. Essence did a good job of hiding the majority of the scratches. You can still see them but they are harder to see. Happy with the results.

So I bought reset, tarX, ironX, eraser, essence plus, and reload.

I used the products in the order above following instruction for hand application. I used tarx before ironx because of the amount of pitch from tree limbs on the paint and being part of the scratches.

I have not used reload yet. One thing I did was went back and put second coat of essence plus on the next day (today). Does this help or hurt. If it helps how many coats are recommended?

How long do I wait to put reload on?

Is there a better product than tarx for removing sap and tar? Tarx worked good on the clear coat but not so good on the 3M clear bra.

When I do get the truck paint correct what is the best choice for protection on this type of abuse?

Glenn

Smitty
06-15-2017, 05:51 PM
I'm not an expert in Essence yet but I would think the Essence Extreme Gloss Enhancer might have been the better choice for the first application. I use it on my Jeep which I take off road and it gets light marring and fine scratches from bushes on the trail. It sounds like this is what you have too. Essence lightly polishes, and fills for some finish imorovement. It does not get the heavy stuff out. From what I understand, Essence Plus has no abrasives. If that is what you were going for, then all is well but the filling alone will not be as good as a light polish for trail rash.

The best protection for the paint would be a full 3M wrap but that will look bad too with the scratches. At least it will protect the paint. If it must go on the trail, and a wrap is out of the question, a couple of coats of a durable coating will help but not prevent. I used some left over cquartz I had and did the hood and front fenders of my Wrangler. After a tight trail run, I saw that the coated panels had visibly less marring than the uncoated panels. They were very fine scratches similar to swirls or spiderwebs, but horizontal of course. I hit the coated panels with Essence Plus and was amazed at how well it healed the coating. I used I on the uncoated panels and got similar results to what you describe. Better but not completely filled. Regular Essence did better on my test spots.

Until seeing this, I did not plan to coat the Jeep because of its trail use and constant cleaning. For the time being, I'm going to do the entire Jeep with Essence and eventually coat with cquartz since it protects better than wax or sealant and cleans easier. Plus if I understand it correctly I can just heal the coating with Essence Plus. This will hopefully keep my from polishing and removing clear coat as often as I do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk