PDA

View Full Version : Sealant and CQuartz?

Justang
06-18-2017, 06:51 AM
I am curious if I can place CQuartz UK over a paint sealant? I recently had my car sealed but wanted to add CQuartz as well. Can anyone share any information if this is doable or should not be done?

I also have black aluminum wheels and wanted to CQuartz UK them as well. Would it be better to use DLux or can the CQuartz work?

Any help and tips would be much appeciated!

The Guz
06-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Cquartz needs to bond to bare paint in order for it to work as intended. The sealant would need to be polished off to prep the paint for the coating.

You can use UK or DLUX on wheels. DLUX has a higher temperature tolerance.

Are these wheels cleat coated?

DARK HORSE
06-18-2017, 02:55 PM
As Guz has stated above, Cquartz will NOT bond to the sealant. It would be a complete waste of product and time to try to put Cquartz over the sealant. You must polish off the sealant (even a very mild polish and very light cutting pad will work ). Then wipe down the car thoroughly with Eraser prior to coating.

Check out this thread (I know it's for UK, but most info crosses over and is applicable to Ti02) lots of good info here....https://carproforum.com/showthread.php?4190-CQUK-Questions-Answered-Here

Justang
06-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info!

Yes the wheels are clear coated, but they were also sealed. As I am new to car care, I wish I would have known this prior 😁

Pharose
10-18-2017, 09:33 PM
This is the exact reason why I'm so confused about CQuartz. Every guide I read tells me that you're supposed to remove sealant before applying ceramic coating, but then I read about CarPro Essence, which leaves a sealant which you can apply CQuartz over. Is this the only exception to the rule? Surely there are other silica based sealants which can go underneath a coat of CQuartz...

Cooter
10-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Essence is a primer for Cquartz coatings. Its perfectly fine to lay Cquartz over Essence. You can remove Essence and then go directly to applying your coating without having to use Eraser if you want to.

The Guz
10-19-2017, 07:44 AM
This is the exact reason why I'm so confused about CQuartz. Every guide I read tells me that you're supposed to remove sealant before applying ceramic coating, but then I read about CarPro Essence, which leaves a sealant which you can apply CQuartz over. Is this the only exception to the rule? Surely there are other silica based sealants which can go underneath a coat of CQuartz...

Essence is an exception when getting ready to use Cquartz. I'm not a chemist but silica bonds to silica. Essence leaves behind silica. Corey would have to chime in and give a better anwser.

fdresq4
10-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Essence is a primer for Cquartz coatings. Its perfectly fine to lay Cquartz over Essence. You can remove Essence and then go directly to applying your coating without having to use Eraser if you want to.

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. That is why I'm a big fan of keeping it in the family, so to speak. To me, it just makes sense to use products that have been tested with one another. Also since coatings, when applied correctly, have more longevity than a sealant so it makes sense to have it as your "base."

fdresq4
10-19-2017, 10:05 AM

Essence was engineered and tested to work with CQuartz coatings, hence the difference. Now, if someone wants to do independent tests...

CarPro Mexico
10-25-2017, 12:16 AM

As everyone already stated, Esssence is the exception to the rule, as it has Sio2 as Cquartz, acting as a primer and promoting bonding.

Must mention its insane gloss. Such an exceptional product! :cool: