PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Second Coat, 1 Week Later: What Products Will Damage the Existing Coat?

Pharose
10-16-2017, 04:33 AM
So I did my first coat of Cquartz UK + Reload yesterday and I'm loving the way it looks but now I kinda wish I did the second coat. The only reason I didn't was because I spent more time than expected doing the cleaning/prep and ran out of time.

I won't have the time or resources to do another coat until next weekend, but I was wondering how much prep work I should do for the second coat. My usual process was wash, clay, compound, polish, then isopropyl alcohol spay. This process would completely eliminate any coat of wax or traditional sealant, what would it do to a coat of cquartz? What products would I need to use and what ones should I avoid before I apply a second coat?

My car is a daily driver and it gets exposed to a lot of dust and rain, and a fair bit of organic debris from trees and birds. Would a polish and ipa spray be enough or will the alcohol damage the coat? What rpm should I use on the polisher? What products would do the most damage to the cquartz?

Edit: After reading more on the product, it says that I can use other cleaners like Iron-X after 1 month of curing. Would it be better to apply a second coat after 1 month then? I'm guessing clay and buffing compounds are too harsh though?

CarPro Mexico
10-24-2017, 11:59 PM
You dont need to polish the surface again to do another Cquartz coat. That will damage it to some degree. Claying or mechanical decon isnt recommended either.

I would do a proper wash and Eraser twice per each panel, doing the second coat as soon as i finish a panel. This way will assure a clean surface for Cquartz to bond as it should, and avoid any potential dust to settle in.

Since its been only a week, Cquartz should be fully cured by now. Little to no contaminants should stick to your paint.

Good luck!