PDA

View Full Version : Full strength IPA to remove 7 layers of Zaino before CQuart?

Julien
10-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Have a 14 Cadillac ELR Crystal Red Tintcoat (Metallic). Bought in late July (only 8000 miles) and have put 7 coats of Zaino on it. I have decided to go with a ceramic coating and after a lot of reading chose CQuartz. Have read/researched many ways to remove a synthetic wax and it sounds like isopropyl may be the most effective way, especially since I have so many fresh layers. How does my plan of attack sound?

1) Wash
2) IPA Full Strength (maybe soaked or heavy) to remove 7 layers of Zaino
3) Claybar
4) Polish
5) IPA ½ strength
6) CQuart Ti02 wait a couple of hours
7) CQuart Ti02 (second layer) wait a few hours and maybe overnight
8) Reload then sit overnight and Reload about ever month

Also about how much Reload per use (ELR) or how long will ½ liter last applying once a month?

The Guz
10-18-2017, 01:57 AM
Since you are going to clay and polish I would not worry about an IPA wipedown after washing. The wax or sealant is probably degraded to the point where claying may remove all of it.

Have you considered picking up Eraser? It has better lubricity than IPA. Meaning less chance of marring.

budgetplan1
10-18-2017, 11:22 PM
Polish will likely remove 107 coats of Zaino, especially after clay removes 99% of it. Zaino ain't that tuff no matter how many layers are supposedly on there.

Cooter
10-19-2017, 07:28 AM
107 coats of Zaino!!! Thats a lot of product!!

Buy some Eraser. Its awesome and smells great too!!

budgetplan1
10-19-2017, 08:31 AM

Buy some Eraser. Its awesome and smells great too!!Ya just gotta believe somewhere out there is some Z-Zealot with triple digit coats of that stuff on their car.

fdresq4
10-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Buy some Eraser. Its awesome and smells great too!!

That's a lot of work too...:p

fdresq4
10-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Have a 14 Cadillac ELR Crystal Red Tintcoat (Metallic). Bought in late July (only 8000 miles) and have put 7 coats of Zaino on it. I have decided to go with a ceramic coating and after a lot of reading chose CQuartz. Have read/researched many ways to remove a synthetic wax and it sounds like isopropyl may be the most effective way, especially since I have so many fresh layers. How does my plan of attack sound?

1) Wash
2) IPA Full Strength (maybe soaked or heavy) to remove 7 layers of Zaino
3) Claybar
4) Polish
5) IPA ½ strength
6) CQuart Ti02 wait a couple of hours
7) CQuart Ti02 (second layer) wait a few hours and maybe overnight
8) Reload then sit overnight and Reload about ever month

Also about how much Reload per use (ELR) or how long will ½ liter last applying once a month?

Make sure you have good lighting to inspect your application. As far as Reload, depends on how heavy an application you do and if you do jambs, wheels, etc...

Julien
10-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks, as for removing the synthetic before claying. I have tried claying in the past on several layers of Zaino and it was a PIA. The surface was so slick and the bar (and me) was working hard just to remove the Zaino. I want the clay bar to only have to deal with surface contaminates and not just slid across a slick surface.

EDIT: Also with claying the #1 problem and no-no is dropping the clay. What about spreading a large towel on the driveway/ground underneath the area you are claying? This way if you drop it you could still use it.

budgetplan1
10-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks, as for removing the synthetic before claying. I have tried claying in the past on several layers of Zaino and it was a PIA. The surface was so slick and the bar (and me) was working hard just to remove the Zaino. I want the clay bar to only have to deal with surface contaminates and not just slid across a slick surface.

EDIT: Also with claying the #1 problem and no-no is dropping the clay. What about spreading a large towel on the driveway/ground underneath the area you are claying? This way if you drop it you could still use it.Snatch up a Nanoskin clay mitt and dropping the clay is no worry anymore.

CarPro Mexico
10-25-2017, 12:20 AM
Snatch up a Nanoskin clay mitt and dropping the clay is no worry anymore.

Better yet, the Polyshave decon towel. More affordable and just as good, if not better ;)