PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Bethlehem, PA

Bill F
11-26-2017, 02:53 AM
Hello, I've been using CarPro and the forum since 2016. I was turned onto to the product line after I had my car corrected then coating with Cquartz Finest. Long story short, my car had 700 miles on it when I picked it up, and I learned real quick that dealers have some super type of filler waxes and glazes. I suspect during one of the winters storms a lot attended cleared the snow off the car with a street broom. I didn't see any of those defects when I picked up the car, but only after I stripped the wax. After spending a day trying to fix the problem and getting most of the defect out myself I was still feeling pretty lousy. At this point I was introduced to the local Finest installer, initially I wanted just the paint fixed but he explained the benefits of the Cquartz Finest. At one point I was on the fence about getting all the work done, since I was already spending a large chunk to have ppf installed, so my lovely wife told me to knock it off and be grateful I could have the car fixed and the problem solved. My wife got pretty excited and told me to have it all done once she heard the wheels could be taken off and treated with Dlux.

I just really like taking care of cars. My dad got me going when I was kid and he would load up a bucket with hot water and drive down to the quarter car wash. When I was 10 I took one of my dad's rotary buffers a wool pad, a heavy cut compound to my mom's new car one week when my dad was out of town. Oh geez, my dad was surprised when he got home and saw my work. The one positive is that when the paint is burnt off the holograms don't appear to be as noticeable. Looking back I can say my dad was a pretty understanding man. So the next few years I was banned from any machines and allowed only cleaner wax and foam applicator pads. Occasionally I would pick up some cash, washing and waxing the neighbors cars, at the time I'd get $40 and I thought that was awesome.

When I got my own car a 1985 Pontiac 6000 I had a family friend suggest a finishing polish used by the body shops. So I went down the to the auto paint store got a bottle of polish and a foam pad spent maybe $30 total and thought that was lot. But remembering the lesson from the buffer and my mom's car I read one the detailing books my dad had and picked up the tip to throttle the trigger. After that the car looked pretty decent and I was hooked.

The next few years I stayed mainly with the "secret" detailers clay and cleaner wax combinations, followed by synthetic sealant. If I could get my dad to loan me his Porter Cable polisher I would use that to apply both. At the time I thought spending a $120 on a pc polisher was big bucks. But I almost bought one after I cleaned up an early 2000's Honda Civic for this girl I was trying to impress.

Well then a few years later I meet my soon to be wife, and she literally never washed her Jeep. So I started washing and waxing that the best I could with the tools I had the time and the space we had the apartment. That was when I started using grit guards and rineless wash at the apartment complex.

So about three years ago my wife got a brand new, protective shipping wrap still on the SUV, Ford Escape. It's only been washed once by someone else other than me. Once I found about reload I started using that on her Escape. So earlier this year I used the PC I inherited from my dad, a MF carpro pad and some Essence on her Escape. It looked awesome, she had her girlfriends at work telling her how nice her car looked.
A week later a box from Sky's limit came with more goodies, my wife saw the invoice and asked me "what $350, for just car wash was for.." I kind of pointed to her car, she looked back at me and said oh yeah, have fun..
After such sucess with the essence and the MF pads I thought I would give the M105 & M205 combo a go on my buddies car, really had nice results but decided to put the M105 and the PC down and give Corey a call, and ask for a better way.
As cool as my wife is, I'm not stupid, so I warned her before even bigger box with a Rupes bigfoot showed up.

At this point I'm really grateful that I have the means purchase such nice tools and materials.

Well sorry for such a long winded intro. If I had to sum it all up, what I like most about the detailing in my garage is that it a place where I can work on a process, work on product selection, and spend as much time as I need to get the outcome right. There's just something about working with your hands that is very rewarding when it all comes together. In the course of my day job there's a lot of times when I feel the pressure of that old joke - please pick two time, money, quality.

I look forward to being part of the group.

Bill

Merlin
11-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Welcome Bill to CPF!

:welcome:

Lots of GREAT folks here.
Tell us a little about you.

:CarproRules:

Lots of great info here.
Search is your friend.

fdresq4
11-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Howdy, Bill! Right across the river in N.J. Have you ever been to the Bayou restaurant?

itsmags
11-28-2017, 05:39 AM
An experience one, welcome to the community. We are more than glad to have you on board.

Bill F
11-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Howdy, Bill! Right across the river in N.J. Have you ever been to the Bayou restaurant?

Hi Steve, haven't been to the Bayou. Looks like a good place will have to check it out.