PDA

View Full Version : Professionals needing help CQ UK Questions! TIA!

Astatenate
01-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Please advise if I did it right and any tips!

Astatenate
01-30-2018, 05:05 PM
So I applied CQ UK this past weekend. We had no humidity and 60 degrees. My wheels are currently off the car as well and it’s garaged so figured perfect timing!

So I washed car throughly, striped all waxes and polished, clay bar all contaminates, polished entire car, washed again (to remove polishing oils) wiped the entire car down with a 70/30 IPA mix and waited a few minutes. Applied 1 coat of CQUK waiting about 60 seconds and then buffing off with all supplied material from CP, by the time I made my way around the car it had been about 30-45 mins and I applied 2nd coat (this time applying CQ and then immediately buffing off) , I then let the car sit for 24 hours to cure then applied reload spray (didn’t dilute it 1:1 and sprayed it right on and right off, didn’t have any issues with streaking and paint is super clear / clean looking) on silver car.

The car has sat another 24 hours and will probably sit for another 3-4 days before being exposed to any rain, dirt, road debris, etc so a total of 5-6 days to cure before being exposed to anything in about 50-60 highs (the garage is normally 5-10 degrees warmer) reason I bought UK since it cures it cooler weather faster.

Astatenate
01-30-2018, 05:08 PM
My questions to my particular application, I couldn’t seem to find so I’m here to ask.

1) I know I didn’t apply the coating 100% perfect (first time , was nervous) lol , so I didn’t wait a full hour between my 1-2nd coat is that okay?
2) I waited 24 hours to apply reload (not 1 hour after ceramic coating) , is that okay?
3) I will be buying the 100ml or 500ml reload spray and deluting it 1:1 is that okay or do I keep it at its current property?
4) Also I was going to apply reload once a month, is that a waste or okay as I read its more of a 3-6 months application?!?!
5) Lastly, I read that Meguairs gold class wash & conditioner is a great cheaper alternative to reset, as it doesn’t have waxes or oils in it that will cover or mask the ceramic coating properties. True and okay to use this more cost effective wash?

6) Any other tips / tricks to maintaining ceramic coating or anything I did wrong (besides what I already know) for when I apply to my wheels & motorcycle? Thanks in advance!!

The Guz
01-30-2018, 06:17 PM
1) I know I didn’t apply the coating 100% perfect (first time , was nervous) lol , so I didn’t wait a full hour between my 1-2nd coat is that okay?

Really depends on the environment. 45 min-1 hour is fine. Even the next day would have been ok.

2) I waited 24 hours to apply reload (not 1 hour after ceramic coating) , is that okay?

That is fine. This is more so to avoid water spotting during the curing time of the coating to avoid the potential of water spots if exposed to the elements and it happens to rain.

3) I will be buying the 100ml or 500ml reload spray and deluting it 1:1 is that okay or do I keep it at its current property?

Either way is fine. Being that you have silver paint it is harder to tell if Reload is streaking. On darker paints it is recommended to spray the towel and then apply to the surface to avoid potential streaking.

4) Also I was going to apply reload once a month, is that a waste or okay as I read its more of a 3-6 months application?!?!

Monthly is perfectly fine. Durability/longevity is going to vary by the environment.

5) Lastly, I read that Meguairs gold class wash & conditioner is a great cheaper alternative to reset, as it doesn’t have waxes or oils in it that will cover or mask the ceramic coating properties. True and okay to use this more cost effective wash?

Reset is good to have and will clean better than Gold Class. I like gold class and it is a good shampoo. It does contain gloss enhancers and it can mask the properties of any form of protection. I've experienced this personally and stopped using gold class. Meguiar's Hyper Wash is a better alternative as is Adams Shampoo. I would still recommend having Reset as it deep cleans a coating better.

6) Any other tips / tricks to maintaining ceramic coating or anything I did wrong (besides what I already know) for when I apply to my wheels & motorcycle? Thanks in advance!!

I would also recommend picking up Ech20 and using it as a drying aid when you wash. It will add slickness and a little protection. It does work well as a rinseless wash as well if you choose to use it like that. It would be great for your bike as a waterless wash when you are wiping off light dust.

I just read Avi of CarPro post on Autogeek that UK can be wiped on and wiped off pretty quick. Other than that I would recommend having good lighting to avoid any high spots.

Astatenate
01-30-2018, 07:12 PM
1) GREAT to know! See I read after 24 hrs it was cured and a 2nd coat wouldn't adhere to the first coat. So I wanted to do it ASAP... So I did. 1st coat let sit for 60 seconds before buffing off. 2nd coat I wiped off within 5-10 seconds. So seems like even though I didn't wait a full hour it should be okay, since to my knowledge UK cures pretty fast. Correct?

2) Also good to know! I knew it was intended for water spotting but since it was garaged, and not moisture / humidity in the air I wasn't worried about that. So that's why I let the CQ UK cure 24 hrs before applying reload. So seems like that is also okay, correct?

3) Okay great, I was under LED lighting when spraying RELOAD on (not diluted) just straight from CP bottle. And I sprayed it on paint directly, wiped it with one side of towel then wiped/buffed dry with other (dry side) of towel. And didn't see any smears, even with different lighting angles. But if for some reason there are some streaks / smears. Can I just buff them out with MF today or this weekend? Idk how “permanent” reload is.

4) Cool. I'm just OCD and once every 3-6 months just doesn't seem good enough for me. So I was thinking diluted 1:1 would make a 500ml reload bottle last the year (even at once a month application)

5) So as far as I understand using any type of wash/wax soap, waxes, spray waxes, polishes, etc is no good (has oils, shine additives, etc and causes dust to stick) basically making the dust free properties of CC ruined. Is that correct? Or other things ruined as well?
I don't mind the dust free properties as much, I mainly ceramic coated to prevent light scratches, extreme aquaphobic properties, etc. So if I use a soap like gold class it will just harm the dust free properties or more?? Any info is greatly appreciated!! I'd like to stick to a readily available soap like gold class (available at Walmart) than have to order. Not trying to be cheap. As I order my polishes / waxes etc from online. But I'd like to stick to reload once a month, and wash with gold class when needed. And stick with NO wash/wax, spray waxes, waxes, polishes or special soaps I'll have to order from CP, etc! If that makes sense. Is that okay?

6) GREAT! THANKS FOR THE ADDITIONAL TIPS!

Astatenate
01-31-2018, 12:27 AM
Is there any other alternative wash that doesn’t have waxes, oils in them? That’s more readily available? TIA