PDA

View Full Version : CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0, when to apply the second layer?

Manor
07-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Hi,
I've been prepping my car for a couple of days now.
Scholl yellow spiderpad + Menzerna 2400 and around 5-6 passes.
Then CarPro GlossPad and CarPro Essence 2-4 passes.

I'll start adding CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 tomorrow.
But should I start of with CarPro Eraser first, or will that harm the Essence primed surface?

When should the second layer of UK 3.0 be added. I've read one hour, but is that the minimum or maximum time between the layers? I don't have any problem to wait more than one hour if that is ok.

I will not be using Reload but keep the car covered at least the first 24 hours.

It is really hot in Sweden right now...between 86-90 degrees. Is it still ok to use UK 3.0 or is it too hot? We are expecting rain during the weekend, and I would really like the car to be finished by then :).

The Guz
07-26-2018, 04:05 PM
The longer you let Essence sit after initial wipe off from polishing, the longer the SiO2 in it has to cure as well as the polishing oils evaporating off the surface. It means you don't need to do a heavy Eraser wipe off. I would still recommend a wipe off with Eraser when using Essence to remove any residual polishing oils. It will also help with removing any light dust that will be on the paint from sitting in the garage overnight.

A second layer of CQUK 3.0 can be applied 45-60 mins after the first. This is the recommended minimum. You can apply the second coat the next day if you decide to and that will be just fine.

Here is the recommendations. The flash time will vary depending on the temperature and humidity. I applied it in 90 degree weather not to long ago and it worked out fine.

Specifications:

Durability: 2 years or more
Average Thickness: 1~2 Micron per coat
Coverage 15ml per coat +/-
Water contact angle: 110°
Minor filling
Recommended working temperatures: 40F to 100F

Manor
07-26-2018, 04:12 PM
The longer you let Essence sit after initial wipe off from polishing, the longer the SiO2 in it has to cure as well as the polishing oils evaporating off the surface. It means you don't need to do a heavy Eraser wipe off. I would still recommend a wipe off with Eraser when using Essence to remove any residual polishing oils. It will also help with removing any light dust that will be on the paint from sitting in the garage overnight.

A second layer of CQUK 3.0 can be applied 45-60 mins after the first. This is the recommended minimum. You can apply the second coat the next day if you decide to and that will be just fine.

Here is the recommendations. The flash time will vary depending on the temperature and humidity. I applied it in 90 degree weather not to long ago and it worked out fine.

Thank you very much for your fast response :-).

I'll do a light wipe off with Eraser before I start with UK 3.0 tomorrow.

Somewhere I read that Reload should be added before one hour otherwise wait until the next day.
But when adding a second layer UK 3.0 it is 45-60 minutes as a minimum...so the next layer could be added say 2-3 hours later without any problem?

Did I understand your instructions correct?

The Guz
07-26-2018, 09:02 PM
You will be fine either way. All you are doing is allowing the first coat to cure longer.

Manor
07-27-2018, 01:33 PM
Todays first layer went quite well. I think that UK 3.0 was easier to work with than the original UK.
I will now take a break and add the second layer tomorrow.

I did notice a small high spot on the edge of the hood that I missed wiping down...if I have to take care of it afterwards...do I need to machine polish it, or could it be done by hand?

Manor
08-01-2018, 08:03 AM
I did notice a small high spot on the edge of the hood that I missed wiping down...if I have to take care of it afterwards...do I need to machine polish it, or could it be done by hand? It's not a blurry high spot, it has been wiped but not enough so the color is a bit darker but still shiny. I also found a similar spot under one of the door handles.

Could it be better after a few washes, or do I need to polish it out?

The Guz
08-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Polishing is the only way to remove a high spot.

Jbeard
08-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Provided the car isn’t getting dirty, is there any issue with waiting even longer (2+ days) between coats of CQUK? I’m considering doing layered coats (2x CQUK and then a layer of CQ Classic) but am unlikely to have an uninterrupted 90+ minutes to work (30 minutes of work on the first coat, then doing the same panels with the next two layers). Would be much easier to do a full CQUK coat; wait 48 to cure; then move to the next coat... any issues? And no need to Eraser or decon since there aren’t any oils or dirts being applied right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guz
08-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Provided the car isn’t getting dirty, is there any issue with waiting even longer (2+ days) between coats of CQUK? I’m considering doing layered coats (2x CQUK and then a layer of CQ Classic) but am unlikely to have an uninterrupted 90+ minutes to work (30 minutes of work on the first coat, then doing the same panels with the next two layers). Would be much easier to do a full CQUK coat; wait 48 to cure; then move to the next coat... any issues? And no need to Eraser or decon since there aren’t any oils or dirts being applied right?

From what Corey told me, only one coat of each is needed if doing the CQUK/Classic combo. The minimum time between coats is 45-60 mins. You should be able to knock it out in one day. If not the next day is not going to hurt. Just be sure to lightly wipe the dust off the surface if it is sitting inside. If it is outside then it would be better off to wait until the next wash.

Jbeard
08-03-2018, 05:01 PM
From what Corey told me, only one coat of each is needed if doing the CQUK/Classic combo. The minimum time between coats is 45-60 mins. You should be able to knock it out in one day. If not the next day is not going to hurt. Just be sure to lightly wipe the dust off the surface if it is sitting inside. If it is outside then it would be better off to wait until the next wash.

Thanks! The concern is less the total time required, and more the difficulty of getting an uninterrupted stretch of 90 minutes (much less a few hours) with kids. Is there no benefit (increased hardness?) to 2xCQUK + CQ? I imagine the glossiness would be the same with a 1x1 application...

Relatedly: I’m installing a vinyl strip on the rear bumper (dog-nail protection). Would I need to wait for the expiration of the total cure window, or is the water+baby shampoo application sufficiently mild to not count as a “chemical” car wash?

The Guz
08-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Is there no benefit (increased hardness?) to 2xCQUK + CQ? I imagine the glossiness would be the same with a 1x1 application...

Here is the truth about coatings. I have used plenty of them and the thing is to don't buy into the hardness thing too much. Coatings are not scratch proof. They will still marr and swirl.

Corey would be the one to contact regarding whether you would see any benefit of two coats of CQUK and one of TiO2.