PDA

View Full Version : Polish

dman68
08-08-2018, 02:54 PM
I have a full bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish in my home arsenal, can this safely be used in the polishing step prior to applying CQUK 3.0?

Thanks

fdresq4
08-08-2018, 04:56 PM
I have a full bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish in my home arsenal, can this safely be used in the polishing step prior to applying CQUK 3.0?

Thanks
Be sure to do a wipe down with Eraser to ensure any oils are removed prior to application. Also, wear gloves so your oils and sweat also do not contaminate the surface.

Had a friend use it prior to 3.0 and he did a careful wipe down with Eraser. He had success...

dman68
08-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Be sure to do a wipe down with Eraser to ensure any oils are removed prior to application. Also, wear gloves so your oils and sweat also do not contaminate the surface.

Had a friend use it prior to 3.0 and he did a careful wipe down with Eraser. He had success...

Thanks fdresq4, I have a bottle of Essence as well so do you feel it would be better suited for prep as opposed to the Meg's polish? I'm thinking of using my Hex-Logic white pad. There is very little cut needed as the paint is in excellent shape aside from a few minor scratches that i'd like to remove prior to the CQUK. I'm coming from mostly Meguiar's products and feel that at my age (68) it's getting to be a chore maintaining the finish, even as much as I love it.

fdresq4
08-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Thanks fdresq4, I have a bottle of Essence as well so do you feel it would be better suited for prep as opposed to the Meg's polish? I'm thinking of using my Hex-Logic white pad. There is very little cut needed as the paint is in excellent shape aside from a few minor scratches that i'd like to remove prior to the CQUK. I'm coming from mostly Meguiar's products and feel that at my age (68) it's getting to be a chore maintaining the finish, even as much as I love it.

Without seeing the paint, I would say yes to Essence. With that said, nothing wrong with using the other polish also, just use Eraser prior to the coating.
Do you have any microfiber pads?

I would advise you to go to the product page for good tips and suggestions for a successful outcome since each scenario is different.

https://www.carpro-us.com/stocking-stuffers/carpro-essence-extreme-gloss-primer-250ml-8oz/

fdresq4
08-08-2018, 06:18 PM

I’m hitting 50 and I agree with your thoughts on things becoming a chore at times....lol

dman68
08-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Without seeing the paint, I would say yes to Essence. With that said, nothing wrong with using the other polish also, just use Eraser prior to the coating.
Do you have any microfiber pads?

I would advise you to go to the product page for good tips and suggestions for a successful outcome since each scenario is different.

https://www.carpro-us.com/stocking-stuffers/carpro-essence-extreme-gloss-primer-250ml-8oz/

Thanks again fdresq4. Nope, no microfiber pads. Only Hex-Logic (Buff & Shine?) I have not uploaded any images yet but the following link should take you to my garage page on Meg's Forum.......http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/69212/title/pic-1/cat/500 The images were before any wax or sealant and finished with Meg's Ultimate Polish. About 10 hrs. of polishing.

fdresq4
08-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Ok to the m.f. Pad. The polished paint looks good in the pics. Great dedication to polishing....

dman68
08-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Ok to the m.f. Pad. The polished paint looks good in the pics. Great dedication to polishing....

Thank you sir and thanks for your help. BTW, I applaud your pet support.:cool:

fdresq4
08-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Thank you sir and thanks for your help. BTW, I applaud your pet support.:cool:

Thank you! I have always had dogs in my life. All three of our dogs are rescues, Corgi, Corgi- mix, and a Shetland sheep dog.
One thing I dislike about living in Southeast Alabama is the way people treat dogs here...

The Guz
08-09-2018, 11:59 PM

Good looking Malibu you have there. This body style is a definite upgrade than the previous generation.

I will say to give Essence a go as a test spot. It will amp up the gloss even more and have less oils than Ultimate Polish.

I would still recommend an Eraser wipe when using Essence prior to coating the paint.

dman68
08-10-2018, 04:45 AM
Good looking Malibu you have there. This body style is a definite upgrade than the previous generation.

I will say to give Essence a go as a test spot. It will amp up the gloss even more and have less oils than Ultimate Polish.

I would still recommend an Eraser wipe when using Essence prior to coating the paint.

Thanks Guz, a lot of hard work went into getting it that far. It was really swirled-up from the dealer. The Meg's products have performed excellent but I want more and with less upkeep. I have the CQUK 3.0 and maintenance products already and will be applying it most likely in September. Trying to learn all I can about the CarPro line prior to doing so.

As for the Essence and Eraser, i've pretty much decided that's the way to go according to my research of the product. I'm an old-school guy and quite cautious at my age as well as a bit OCD.:)

Without starting a new thread, I have a few questions regarding maintenance products.......

1...As I said, I already have the necessary CarPro products but also a bit of Meguiar's also. Can Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer be used in any way with the CQ?

2...I have Reset but will Meg's Gold Class Soap play well with the CQ?

3...Can any Meg's product perform the same function as CarPro's Spotless? This I do not have as of yet.

fdresq4
08-10-2018, 11:34 AM
1. You can use the Megs Q.D. with UK. With that said, I would wait before using it on the coating, allowing the coating to fully cure. Just not sure if it has anything “extra” in it.
I’m sure the others can answer that better than me.
You mentioned having other Car Pro products, have you tried Echo 2 yet as a q.d.?

2. Yes but no soap on the coating until 7 days. Try to avoid soaps with waxes. Sometimes those additives may interfere with the coatings characteristics. You can use soaps with waxes but the coating kicks butt!
Using Reload or Hydro 2, or Merlin’s Magic Elixir is a different story...

3. That I cannot answer. I use Spotless so I’ll defer to the others here...

dman68
08-10-2018, 12:32 PM
1. You can use the Megs Q.D. with UK. With that said, I would wait before using it on the coating, allowing the coating to fully cure. Just not sure if it has anything “extra” in it.
I’m sure the others can answer that better than me.
You mentioned having other Car Pro products, have you tried Echo 2 yet as a q.d.?

2. Yes but no soap on the coating until 7 days. Try to avoid soaps with waxes. Sometimes those additives may interfere with the coatings characteristics. You can use soaps with waxes but the coating kicks butt!
Using Reload or Hydro 2, or Merlin’s Magic Elixir is a different story...

3. That I cannot answer. I use Spotless so I’ll defer to the others here...

Thanks:cool: I just didn't want to let the Meg's Detailer go to waste. I have ECH20 on order and will give Merlin's Elixir a shot, as I was reading about it in another thread.

As for the Meg's Gold Class soap, i'm not 100% sure if it has any waxes in it but no biggie as I have Reset.

Merlin
08-10-2018, 01:33 PM
What are you looking to accomplish with Spotless?

Merlin
08-10-2018, 01:36 PM
I’m not 100% on Megs Gold class but it may be a “wash and wax” in one.
I’d stick with Reset for washing. They are made to work together.

fdresq4
08-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Thanks Guz, a lot of hard work went into getting it that far. It was really swirled-up from the dealer. The Meg's products have performed excellent but I want more and with less upkeep. I have the CQUK 3.0 and maintenance products already and will be applying it most likely in September. Trying to learn all I can about the CarPro line prior to doing so.

As for the Essence and Eraser, i've pretty much decided that's the way to go according to my research of the product. I'm an old-school guy and quite cautious at my age as well as a bit OCD.:)

Without starting a new thread, I have a few questions regarding maintenance products.......

1...As I said, I already have the necessary CarPro products but also a bit of Meguiar's also. Can Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer be used in any way with the CQ?

3...Can any Meg's product perform the same function as CarPro's Spotless? This I do not have as of yet.

In reference to question 2, if it’s the Megs G7164, it says it has “conditioners” in it. I would be hesitant then.

dman68
08-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Hi Merlin, nothing with Spotless at the moment but looking to the future when I may have to use it. Since i'm gonna be switching to the Ceramic coating, I have a number of Meg's products that may go to waste if they cannot be used in any other fashion.

dman68
08-10-2018, 03:05 PM
In reference to question 2, if it’s the Megs G7164, it says it has “conditioners” in it. I would be hesitant then.

Yep, that's it. I'll just dedicate it to wheel soap then.

Thanks guys:)

bojo
08-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Good info in this thread. I am also looking to coat my car using CQUK 3.0 in a few months once the weather cools. My current products are mostly Meg's as well, including a gallon of Megs Gold Class that I just got a month ago.

Looking to take advantage of the coating and the lower maintenance it might offer. Probably one more detail on my 2018 Accord, topping off with Meg's 2.0 Tech Wax, then will try CQUK 3.0 in the fall.

BTW dman68, your Malibu looks great!

dman68
08-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Good info in this thread. I am also looking to coat my car using CQUK 3.0 in a few months once the weather cools. My current products are mostly Meg's as well, including a gallon of Megs Gold Class that I just got a month ago.

Looking to take advantage of the coating and the lower maintenance it might offer. Probably one more detail on my 2018 Accord, topping off with Meg's 2.0 Tech Wax, then will try CQUK 3.0 in the fall.

BTW dman68, your Malibu looks great!

Thanks bojo! Looks like we are in the same boat with planning the last detail. :cool:

The Guz
08-10-2018, 06:14 PM

The Meguiar's ultimate line is a good starting point and they offer good results as you have seen. Essence is a definite step up. The test spot will tell you how the paint will react but the end results speak for themselves as you should notice more gloss with Essence.

If you have the time, I would recommend letting Essence sit overnight after wipe off to let the SiO2 in it cure some. It will allow a majority of the polishing oils to evaporate off the surface. Then follow up with a light Eraser wipe down to remove any renaming residue and you are good to coat.

Just be aware that ultimate quick detailer leaves it's own hydrophobic properties behind as it is a polymer detail spray. It will mask a little of the coatings behavior. Can't tell you how long it will last and if the coatings self cleaning effect will not make it bond for too long.

[QUOTE=dman68;21037]

I stopped using Gold Class long ago. It is a fine shampoo. One thing I noticed with it is that it can affect the hydrophobic properties of any protection. I noticed this when I was using sealants. It would mask the beading and sheeting due to the conditioners. Once I used it up I never went back to it and moved on to Meguiar's Hyper Wash and Reset.

Some have claimed that wheel brightener works well on coated paint if water spots develop. You then have to ask yourself if you need a gallon or 16 oz bottle. I personally have never had any water spot issues with any coating I have used.

bojo
08-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Thanks bojo! Looks like we are in the same boat with planning the last detail. :cool:

Yes... and having also turned the corner to 60 years old, like you, I am looking for a solution to make maintenance/detailing easier!

dman68
08-11-2018, 12:54 AM
Yes... and having also turned the corner to 60 years old, like you, I am looking for a solution to make maintenance/detailing easier!

I have always enjoyed detailing my vehicles (at least I thought I was detailing them:rolleyes:) until I retired this year and found out I had been doing it all wrong for soooooooo long. The mistake I made (but a good one) was getting involved in a few of these car care forums and after thinking I could possibly make my vehicle shine the way many others had, I attempted my first major detail and was surprisingly pleased with the outcome. I was hooked!! I really enjoy the process but want more with less maintenance.

So far, the guys on here have been extremely helpful in getting the info to me that I need to make the transition to ceramics. No questions I have had, have gone unanswered and i'm sure i'll have many more.