PDA

View Full Version : High/Dark Spot Remediation

rcharrison1
11-04-2018, 02:00 AM
I have previously ceramic coated 3 of my vehicles with various coatings. I just coated by brand new Corvette with UK 3.0 with mixed results. This post is not to complain about the UK 3.0, but maybe help others with similar issues. I applied 2 coats in my garage using adequate lighting and 2 bundles of microfiber rags. The finished product looked great initially. I left the car in the garage for 7 days. When I took it out in the sunlight, I noticed discolored/dark streaks (I assume high spots) in 4 different areas. At the beginning of coating, I experimented with different flash times in an inconspicuous area - no issues varying flash times between 45 seconds to 2 minutes. I finally decided on a flash time of 50 seconds to 1 minute. I removed the excess after 50 seconds "polishing" to the extreme. I have never experienced any problems the previous 3 times I ceramic coated my cars. Temp/humidity at the time of application was 78 degrees with approx. 68 degrees dewpoint. Whether the issue was with my application method or something peculiar with that bottle of UK 3.0 is immaterial at this point.

I tried removing the "high" spots with Meguiars M105 and M205 by hand with minimal pressure - not using my RO buffer. After removing the "dark" spots, I applied my polish and IPA wipe down. However, everywhere I did the correction, there was a difference you could easily see - the corrected spots were much lighter in color (the car is Long Beach Red and the color difference was very obvious). The reason for the post is to save someone who has the same problem some extra work. Do not try to correct just the high/dark spot. Correct the entire panel, ie., door, hood, fender, quarter panel, etc. If you try correcting just the high spot, you'll end up chasing your tail and getting frustrated with poor results. On the other hand, don't fret - you can correct the problem with a little elbow grease and lots of patience. I have removed all coating from all affected panels and then reapplied polish. I used body seams as a boundary and kept my correction within those seams. I will order another bottle of UK 3.0. I probably have enough left in my current bottle, but don't want to chance running out. I initially applied 2 coats to the entire car.

rlmccarty2000
11-13-2018, 08:36 PM
A lot of people get high spots when applying a second layer of a coating. I’m not sure of the reason, but I think it may be best to wail 24-48 hours after the first coat. This allows the first coat to harden. You can remove high spots before they cure with an additional application of the coating. And of course it’s always a good idea to check your work in natural light and have someone else check your work.