PDA

View Full Version : Which one works best for small scratches in clearcoat?

stoneone25
11-21-2018, 04:01 PM
I have a 2013 challenger with small scratches from washing. Don't look like it goes thru the clearcoat. What would be best product to use? Fixer, Essence or Reflect. Or should I use all of them? Fixer then essence and then reflect?

Merlin
11-21-2018, 04:08 PM
It depends on the extent of the swirl marks...

Do you have a polishing machine?

Can you post pictures?

stoneone25
11-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Don't have a polishing machine yet will be getting one before coating. Don't know if they would show in a pic. they are real fine scratches.

Merlin
11-21-2018, 04:28 PM
I have a 2013 challenger with small scratches from washing. Don't look like it goes thru the clear coat.
What would be best product to use?

The "BEST" way to remove fine scratches (swirl marks) is to polish the paint with a Dual Action (DA) machine.
This process can be done by hand but it is not recommended and you arms will hate you for the next few days.
"You can not accomplish by hand what you can accomplish with a machine."

You will need to polish before applying a coating. The polishing process removes the swirl marks from the paint.
IMHO I like to use the least aggressive method first. I might suggest Essence via DA with a finishing pad to start.

The Guz
11-22-2018, 12:23 AM
I agree with Merlin. The least aggressive approach aka the test spot is the best way to determine what will work on the paint.

Essence or Reflect on a polishing pad would be a good start. Essence will leave a layer of SiO2 in prep for a cquartz coating. Reflect is a pure polish.

stoneone25
11-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Thinking of getting the Polish and protect kit with the 50 ml Cquartz Ti02. So probably use reflect then eraser.

Merlin
11-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Thinking of getting the Polish and protect kit with the 50 ml Cquartz Ti02. So probably use reflect then eraser.

Make sure Essence will (with a fine polishing pad) will remove the swirl marks (fine scratches) before you coat the paint.
If not then you will need a compound (I might suggest Scholl's S3 if needed) with a medium orange or Meguiars MF cutting pad.

What DA machine do you have?

stoneone25
11-23-2018, 05:59 PM
11851186 Ended up buying the CQuartz TiO2 50ml Kit and CarPro GLISS Version 2 - 50ml Kit.
also purchased CQuartz Dlux Wheel & Trim Coating 30ml (Sky Kit) and the FORTE Professional Windshield Coat 15ml KIT. Took advantaged of the black friday 25% off sale.
will still have to get the reflect, iron x, eraser, and essence or reload. Can you put the coating over vinyl strips that are glossy?

The Guz
11-23-2018, 08:15 PM
That is a nice haul. You will have some remaining product going with the 50ml bottles. You could coat another car with the left over.

You can coat over gloss vinyl as well.

You may want to consider picking up a compound just in case you do need it. Clear Cut works well but does dust a bit. I have not used Scholl's S3 but if Merlin is recommending it then it must be good. Fixer is another option as it is a medium compounding polish. Think of it falling in between Clear Cut and Essence. Reflect is nice but if you are going to go with Essence then I would not pass that up and get a compound.

rlmccarty2000
11-24-2018, 05:25 AM
I would suggest watching a few videos on installing a coating if this is your first time. Use plenty of good light to avoid high spots. If possible pull the car into the sun to inspect for high spots. If you can’t use the sun try to have a second person check your work. Sometimes a second person will catch things you miss especially if you get tired when finishing the job.

stoneone25
11-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Thinking of getting the Porter-Cable 7424XP. Any suggestion on this one or another one.

rlmccarty2000
11-24-2018, 02:31 PM
I would get the Griots 6 inch polisher. It has more power and has a lifetime guarantee. Check around for the best deal. They are sold at some of the auto parts stores at a significant discount. Many of the detailing stores don’t offer discounts on polishers, but the parts stores will offer up to 25% off and their starting price can be better. I believe Griots Garage is offering a 20% discount on everything for Black Friday too.

The Guz
11-24-2018, 05:25 PM
I started out with the PC7424XP and it is a capable machine. It is a good starting point as is the Griot's polisher. Hard to turn down the warranty from Griot's. Be sure to get yourself a 5" backing plate with either machine and some 5" pads. That will set you up nicely.

I like the smoothness of the Rupes Duetto over the PC7424XP but it may be out of your price range.

stoneone25
11-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Ended up buying a slightly used griot's 6" polisher hd with the 25 ft cord. Also will have 3 backing plates a 3",5" and 6" that will come with it.

rlmccarty2000
11-26-2018, 08:48 PM
I would concentrate on the 5 inch pads and skip the 6 inchers. The Griots is a good polisher with plenty of power. Enjoy!

stoneone25
11-27-2018, 02:07 PM
will be getting 5" pads and will probably get some 3 1/2 of 4" pads for tight areas. Maybe for the rims and plastic front spoiler with dlux coating.

edmondpogi
02-10-2023, 04:14 AM
If the scratches on your 2013 Challenger are small and don't seem to go through the clearcoat, then you can use a scratch repair product like Fixer, Essence or Reflect to try and fix them. However, it's not necessary to use all three products in sequence. The choice of product will depend on the severity of the scratches and the type of finish on your vehicle.

Fixer is designed to fill in light scratches and scuffs, so it might be the best option if the scratches are not very deep. Essence is a polishing compound that can help restore the shine and luster of your paint, so it might be useful if the scratches have dulled the finish. Reflect is a protective coating that helps prevent future scratches and provides a long-lasting shine.

To determine the best approach, it's best to start with Fixer to see if it can fill in the scratches, and if it doesn't work well, you can move on to Essence or Reflect to try and improve the appearance. Keep in mind that even with the best product, it may not be possible to completely remove the scratches, and you may need to have the paint professionally repaired or repainted.

IDIORSa
12-29-2023, 10:28 AM
What prompted your decision to choose the Griot's 6-inch polisher over the Porter-Cable 7424XP, and how has your experience been with the Griot's polisher so far?

Erianlpap
01-19-2024, 09:15 AM
What specific features or aspects of the Griot's 6-inch polisher led you to choose it over the Porter-Cable 7424XP, and can you share your experience with the Griot's polisher since your purchase?

HindiBuh
01-24-2024, 09:45 AM
What influenced your preference for the Griot's 6-inch polisher instead of the Porter-Cable 7424XP, and how has your experience been with the Griot's polisher so far?