PDA

View Full Version : Reuse microfiber cloths used on CQuartz UK?

RickBetterley
05-05-2019, 11:00 PM
I used short-nap microfiber towels to wipe down newly applied CQuartz as recommended.
Can they be reused? I know that the application cloth generally can’t be, but couldn’t find anything about reuse of the wipe-down cloth.
Thanks

OMGCLAYAIKEN
05-05-2019, 11:53 PM
I recommend watching this and decide for yourself:

https://youtu.be/3p6hWK8mpMs

This is unrelated:

https://youtu.be/oS13sb4goTI

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

RickBetterley
05-06-2019, 01:11 AM
Found a blog post by Mike Phillips suggesting that properly done it seems we can reuse.
Will be interested if there are counter opinions out there.

Reflection 5-0
05-06-2019, 11:21 AM
One thing I have been experimenting with is to have a buck of water nearby. As soon as I'm finished with my MF I put it in the bucket and let it soak and then to the washer. One thing I noticed is when I put the towel in the water it starts repelling water. After an overnight soak they don't repel water. After they go through the washer they come out soft, but I they still have a little water repel. Not sure if it helps yet. Still working on a MF saving process.

Merlin
05-06-2019, 12:16 PM
TMK - CQuartz UK crystalizes hard when it cures.

I have heard of folks that immediately put the towels (used to remove a coating) in a bucket of water that has APC in it.

I use the CarPro 2 Face (No Lint) 16" x 16" (https://www.carpro-us.com/search.php?search_query_adv=CarPro%202%20Face%20(N o%20Lint)%2016%22%20x%2016%22&section=product) (blue) towels to remove coatings. I dispose of these "coating" towels when done.

The 2 Face towels come in two colors blue and orange. I use the orange towels for wiping during the correction steps.
I only use blue towels for coating removal. The orange towels (compound/polish removal) can be washed and reused.

To me, this means that if I reuse a towel (that was previously used to remove a coating) I may run a risk of scratching paint.
CarPro 2 Face blue towels (2-4 per car) is a cost that I add into the job. For me, a few $ towels are not any worth future risk.

Just my thoughts...

dman68
05-07-2019, 12:33 AM
One thing I have been experimenting with is to have a buck of water nearby. As soon as I'm finished with my MF I put it in the bucket and let it soak and then to the washer. One thing I noticed is when I put the towel in the water it starts repelling water. After an overnight soak they don't repel water. After they go through the washer they come out soft, but I they still have a little water repel. Not sure if it helps yet. Still working on a MF saving process.

Mine came out feeling and looking fine after a soak and wash but i'm still delegating these to another task from here on. Although they look and feel good, I choose not to take the risk.

soloz2
05-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I just applied cquartz UK 3.0 and dlux. I used 2 face towels and put them in a bucket of water and APC. I then washed them twice when done and they came out feeling fine. Not sure if I will reuse them on paint though.
I did forgot to put a couple towels used for essence in a bucket and wash them right away. Found them several days later and washed them, but they felt stiffer and rough after washing so I tossed them.

paulgyro
11-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone. I had a discussion about this with AutoFiber as well as the applicators themselves.

Their take as someone who sells MF towels is you can use the towel up to the point where the coating has to be removed.

For example, take CQuartz, which you need to allow to dry for 1 - 5 minutes depending on conditions.

If it's flashing at the 2 min mark for you then you can use the towel for say 1 min, 45 secs before having to put it in a bucket with APC.

Same goes for the applicators. This means you would end up needing to use a fair amount of towels and applicators (perhaps 12 of each) but would be able to protect your investment and reuse them. The longer the working time of the coating the more margin for error you have. Hope this helps!

Paul