PDA

View Full Version : Detail Product ?s

chip_
12-10-2020, 05:39 PM
I have been using the following but always looking to see what others are using for products..... Any Compund/polishwas that might work better in any of the 3 stages below?:

Compound Step
Orange pad 5.5 inch Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad or Hybrid Wool Cutting Pad w/ Carpro Clear Cut

Polish Step
White 5.5 inch Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad w/ Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish M205

Wax/Coat/Seal
Red 5.5 inch Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad w/ Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint

Merlin
12-10-2020, 07:04 PM
I have been using the following but always looking to see what others are using for products..... Any Compund/polishwas that might work better in any of the 3 stages below?:

Compound Step
Orange pad 5.5 inch Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad or Hybrid Wool Cutting Pad w/ Carpro Clear Cut

Polish Step
White 5.5 inch Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad w/ Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish M205

Wax/Coat/Seal
Red 5.5 inch Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad w/ Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint

Here are a couple of my favorites...

Compound Pads
Meguiars Microfiber Cutting Disc and/or Lake Country HDO Blue Cutting Pad

Compounds
Scholl Concepts Shock 2 Cut Extreme Compound and/or Rupes DA Coarse High-Performance Cutting Compound

Mid step Polish
Rupes DA Fine High-Performance Polishing Compound

Mid Step Pads
Rupes DA Yellow Fine Finishing Foam Pad

Final Polishing Pads
Rupes DA White Ultra Fine Finishing Foam and/or CarPro Gloss Pad (white)

Final Polishes
Scholl Concepts S30+ Nano Compound and/or Rupes UNO Pure Universal Ultrafine Finishing Polish

Wax/Coat/Seal
Lots of options...what are you trying to achieve?
Looks, durability (elements), longevity, hydrophobicity?
What color is the paint?
I'm not a big fan of Jescar Power Lock Polymer (not bad but not great)

What machine and what size backing plate do you have?

chip_
12-10-2020, 07:13 PM
I have the following...

Griot's Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polish
5 Inch D.A. Hook & Loop Flexible Backing

Looking for shine, pop, durabliity, longevity since both cars sit outdoors now. One is a metallic blue and the other flat white.

Merlin
12-10-2020, 08:01 PM
I have the following...

Griot's Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polish
5 Inch D.A. Hook & Loop Flexible Backing

Looking for shine, pop, durability, longevity since both cars sit outdoors now.
One is metallic blue and the other flat white.

Great! With the pad recommendations, I suggest 5"-5 1/2" pads.

Oddly enough with the Flat white and the metallic blue, I might suggest different Last Step Products (LSP's)
I'd go for different "looks" in those two colors.

The flat white...my first thought would be plain ole' Collinite No. 845 Heavy Duty Insulator Wax (https://www.carpro-us.com/protection/collinite-no-845-heavy-duty-insulator-wax/)
IMHO this is a very underrated wax. It has been called the "Rocky Balboa" of car waxes.
Coli 845! Great longevity, durability, a bright shiny sparkle, and a great "winter wax".

Metallic blue...What are you looking for? Depth, warmth, metallic pop. longevity, durability?
Have you considered a ceramic coating?

chip_
12-10-2020, 08:16 PM
Great! With the pad recommendations, I suggest 5"-5 1/2" pads.

Oddly enough with the Flat white and the metallic blue, I might suggest different Last Step Products (LSP's)
I'd go for different "looks" in those two colors.

The flat white...my first thought would be plain ole' Collinite No. 845 Heavy Duty Insulator Wax (https://www.carpro-us.com/protection/collinite-no-845-heavy-duty-insulator-wax/)
IMHO this is a very underrated wax. It has been called the "Rocky Balboa" of car waxes.
Coli 845! Great longevity, durability, a bright shiny sparkle, and a great "winter wax".

Metallic blue...What are you looking for? Depth, warmth, metallic pop. longevity, durability?
Have you considered a ceramic coating?

Yeah I have never tried the Collinite but like you mentioned underrated but yet many people says it is great all around.

On the blue a little of everything. The blue one is mine and I just prepped it for our rainy winters in the PNW. I actually posted another post in regards to ceramic coating as I will look into that for my Spring prep on my car. So yes i am considering it and looking for advice on that as well. Seems the Cquartz UK Edition 3.0 is a good one to try. So looking for ideas on both cars would be great. Like I said my products are getting low so always looking to try something else.

The Carpro Clear Cut was recommended by a few people I had reached out to that had been detailing for a while and had tried a few other products.

The Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish M205 seemed to be used by many at the polishing stage.

At the time the Jescar Power Lock Polymer was recommended as well though I did have the Collinite on my list as well but went with the Jescar.

So maybe with my Wife's white car -\
Stick with what I have and change out the lsp
Carpro Clear Cut
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish M205
top off with Collinite

Blue car
Carpro Clear Cut
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish M205

Skip the sealant and move onto a Ceramic Coating?

Anything else you need to do between the polishing stage and the Coating?

chip_
12-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Oh also suggestions on what to use to wash pads and towels.

I also need to add more towels to my collection and looking for suggestions.

1) Drying towels - Currently use Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel
2) Detailing towels - Currently use Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths
3) Glass cleaning - Currently use Viking Diamond Weave Microfiber Windshield & Glass Cloth