PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mobile Car Detailing in the Northeast

martyk13
10-06-2021, 01:08 AM
I have been at this for 16 years, part time. I currently left my full time job and have been insanely busy for the last 4 months. I am thinking about continuing to operate through the winter.

I would like to buy a blow up tent, generator, heater, and my own water supply backpack. I am currently using (and always have) a sedan that fits all my supplies. I am not investing in a van or a truck. I also have a 10 by 10 canopy that fits in the trunk and helps me detail in the sun and rain.

Being in Syracuse NY, the winters can get pretty brutal.

I am looking for a recommendations for a tent, generator, water supply backpack and a website to buy supplies. I have been buying them from Walmart but am finding myself blowing through them. It has never really been an issue but being as busy as I have, it is now. I prefer to use products like Mothers and other popular brands. I am open to suggestions on where to get my supplies.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

scott
10-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Why not get a shop since you're in it full time? You get to save money on variable expenses and could plan out expenses much better since you can physically operate on a daily basis if you want to. Scheduling would be much easier and you would have much better presentation for your customers and cut back on gas and travel time. With that shop you would have access to knock out ceramic coatings which would help you grow at a much quicker rate.

martyk13
10-09-2021, 08:17 PM
Why not get a shop since you're in it full time? You get to save money on variable expenses and could plan out expenses much better since you can physically operate on a daily basis if you want to. Scheduling would be much easier and you would have much better presentation for your customers and cut back on gas and travel time. With that shop you would have access to knock out ceramic coatings which would help you grow at a much quicker rate.Overhead. Plus people love me being mobile.

scott
10-09-2021, 08:24 PM
A lot of people do love mobile but most of those people will still support you once you get a shop. I thought the same way and was surprised how much more business I got based off of referrals and people enjoying the layout, lighting, etc. of the shop. The overhead could be even or even much more as a mobile detailer since nothing could be planned out even when trying to develop a plan due to rainy days and other obstacles. Your resell value would be much better if you were to sell in the future, not saying that you would. You would be more efficient since you can pull a car in and directly work on it or have your workers work on it for you. Check out this video whenever you have time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTGxVEYJRfE

scott
10-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Also not knowing your numbers but imagine you and your 3 workers are working and making $6,000 a week. You pay them $600 weekly which is $7200 a month. Say your rent and other overheads excluding wages is around $8,000 a month. Thats $15,200 in expenses. You made $8,800 that month which you can do to your free will. Numbers are just rough examples to give you an idea. You can always build when you have a shop which creates a more family oriented environment :D

martyk13
10-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Also not knowing your numbers but imagine you and your 3 workers are working and making $6,000 a week. You pay them $600 weekly which is $7200 a month. Say your rent and other overheads excluding wages is around $8,000 a month. Thats $15,200 in expenses. You made $8,800 that month which you can do to your free will. Numbers are just rough examples to give you an idea. You can always build when you have a shop which creates a more family oriented environment :DI'll check out the video. I don't have anyone but myself. Going to register next year as an s Corp to save money. Have been operating as a sole proprietor.

martyk13
10-09-2021, 10:12 PM
A lot of people do love mobile but most of those people will still support you once you get a shop. I thought the same way and was surprised how much more business I got based off of referrals and people enjoying the layout, lighting, etc. of the shop. The overhead could be even or even much more as a mobile detailer since nothing could be planned out even when trying to develop a plan due to rainy days and other obstacles. Your resell value would be much better if you were to sell in the future, not saying that you would. You would be more efficient since you can pull a car in and directly work on it or have your workers work on it for you. Check out this video whenever you have time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTGxVEYJRfEI loved the video! What I am attempting to so is pretty crazy and revolutionary. Nobody as far as I know does what I am trying. Detailing in the winter. Well there is one place and they're truly mobile. I might consider switching to a shop eventually because it would be easier to sell the business in 10 or 15 years. For now I am happy to be mobile. Plus like I said I don't want to me another mobile detail shop. Plenty of those around as it is...

scott
10-09-2021, 10:37 PM
Of course! Your happiness is everything and if you get a shop I’ll take a trip and stop by to support your startup. [emoji817]

martyk13
10-19-2021, 09:29 PM
The more research I do the less I think this is a good idea. The upfront costs are getting up there and even though I have the demand for it, this might not be a good idea after all.

Perhaps I will resume in April and when winter comes I can have a seasonal garage I use in the winter. I really love being mobile. Alternatively I could do both. Mobile and garage.

Thank you everyone for your input!