PDA

View Full Version : windshield/glass polishing general process Q's

dj-bilbo
09-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been thinking for a while now on how to best polish my windshield and rear windshields. I would like to get rid of all those tiny specs in the front windshield that are VERY visible when the sun is hitting you straight on (less so in other sun configurations). I am not talking about water spots or etches here, although some of those may be just that. I am thinking of those fine marks/pits? from road debris in the glass etc... that over time reduce your visibility.

I have a variety of MF towels, rinseless washes and a HD DA polisher (5" or 5"5 inch pads only. no 3 adapter or other smaller diameter tool except my hands).

I was thinking of purchasing the following:
1x glass rayon polishing pads (5" to fit my DA)
1x 150ml Ceriglass
1x 500ml Eraser

And I'll likely apply some FlyBY30 left overs I have from last year.

My concern is that getting the tight 90 degree angles on the corner of the glass will be tough with a 5" pad. I could just overlook those and try by hand to polish whatever there is to polish in those corners and hope for the best.

Purchasing 3" back plate adapter and 3" pads is an option down the road but not yet (I wouldn't even know which ones to get and how to change them on my HD DA).

So, I would be happy to hear any input on products/methods I have listed and whether they will be able to get me where I want. Am I missing a step? product? Is there any tips on polishing glass?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Cheers!