PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tips ... tips !

Rick
10-19-2014, 10:10 PM
My exhaust is bugging me. Little rust on the inside of them and the Factory tips are not cutting it.
1. Can anyone suggest aftermarket tips?
2. What do you think about hitting the inside of the exhaust with some black flat paint?
Sounds silly but you guys are the only ones who understand!

Blown03
10-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi Rick,

Can you give us some more info of what kind of vehicle you're working on ?

Blown03
10-20-2014, 12:54 PM
I've seen a couple Exhaust manufacturers try that black paint thing on inside and outside . They have all discontinued maken them . It would seem it always peels off .

Rick
10-20-2014, 05:05 PM
2014 Mazda6

Dr_Pain
10-20-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't have a recommendation for aftermarket tips, and would actually suggest just going to your local muffler shop. They will have product on hand they can show you and install for you. I always prefer my tips to be welded on rather than installed with a clamp.

As for painting the inside flat black, if they are chromed, they will just like you never cleaned them and have a bunch of accumulated carbon/soot.... but that is just my keep eye looking :)

Blown03
10-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Rick , I'm not familiar with what exhaust comes on Mazda's . Dr. Pain is correct with your basic clamp on tips from an OTC store usually aren't that good . If you buy a whole kit from say Like MAC , Borla ,Corsa ,Magnaflow or the like they are made way better . The tips do clamp on but fit perfect ,with the entire clamping system being SS as well .To me, the important place they need to be welded is to the muffler itself ,and most quality aftermarket kits like the ones I mentioned do come that way .I have a Mac SS cat back , tips clamp on, mufflers come welded to mid and tail pipe and have zero issues .

You may be better served finding a Mazda 6 forum and see what those guys are installing and running . Sometimes Muffler shops can get quite expensive . You'll pay the same price for an aluminized setup through them as you would buying an aftermarket SS one on your own. That's if you can install it yourself .

Are your tips are SS ? And you are just looking to clean them up ,that can be done fairly cheap with a little elbow grease and few hours of your time ,let us know and we can give some suggestions on steps to get them looking nice .... Hope this helps .

Rick
10-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback !