PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Madness help

Rick
10-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Two leftover dryer sheets that were in the dryer had a few Sloggers and a Cloudbuster tossed in on top of them unknowingly.
Can I wash this out or do I now have wheel towels ?

Rick
10-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Ok- simply washed them in the hottest water possible. I'll let you know the outcome.

Corey
10-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Hi Rick, I have never actually tested this but I know it's a huge no no.

The sheets leave a residue on the microfiber and essentially ruin them as I understand it. If Thomas sees this maybe he can educate us all further.

Rick
10-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Yeah that's my guess but it's worth a try. At least it wasn't a summit 800 or Dry Me Crazy!
Keep in mind this was accidental. Not my regular practice.

Corey
10-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Yeah that's my guess but it's worth a try. At least it wasn't a summit 800 or Dry Me Crazy!
Keep in mind this was accidental. Not my regular practice.

Yes! That would have been a serious tragedy!!

MicrofiberMadness
10-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Hey Rick

In fact, dryer Sheets have same (or similar) abilities like fabric softener who are also not good for synthetic fibers (Microfiber). For sure, the concentration is not so high but the sheets will leave a residue in any case.

We never tried the reaction of dryer sheets but what I can tell you is, that even a wash cycle with fabric softener by accident is OFTEN not the death of the towel. Because ist not good to do, we never did any trials but we have A LOT OF customers all over the world who contaced us in the past, telling us they washed wrong with fabric softener and what they should do.

You already did a good decision by washing hot again. Together with a laundry detergent (maybe a Special microfiber wash would improve additionaly) and hot water a ONE TIME use of fabric softener or dryer sheets wont be the death of your towels. If the surface of the towel still has the nice and soft feel you want to have, go ahead and use the towel! If the surface changed (too much) we would say, downgrade the towel for "diry Jobs" like exhaust cleaning or something like that ;-)

But from our Point of view, dont worry too much - we dont believe the towel has to go the graveyard ;-)

Rick
10-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Thank you- I think the towels survived. Ordered a few more cloud busters just incase.

Dr_Pain
10-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I wonder if a soaking in a diluted APC solution or a quick soak in some vinegar (acid or alkaline solution) would help remove the "residue"??.

Hey Thomas, can you tell us what are the safe pH range, and safe soaking time for each pH category? (i.e. safe to soak at pH 4 for 20 minutes etc...) OR are the MF pH safe for any regular cleaners (and household product).

P.S. You know I am not trying to see if it is safe to soak in muratic or hydrocholoric acid, or NaOH/KOH, but more along the lines of straight APC (ph 10-12), as well as distilled white vinegar at pH 2.5-3

Dr Oldz
10-27-2014, 04:40 PM
I accidentally dried towels with a dryer sheet once. A simple rewash fixed them.

Cooter
10-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Dr.Pain, I use to add an ounce of APC in the washing machine when I'd wash towels. It didnt seem to effect the towels. I actually think it helped some.

Dr_Pain
10-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Cooter, what do you think the diluted pH would be with 1 ounce in gallonS of water. Think straight APC would definitely break down the polishing oils if after you are done with the Yellow Fellow you just spray it nice and well with APC

Cooter
10-28-2014, 01:38 AM
How much water??

Rick
10-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Cooter, what do you think the diluted pH would be with 1 ounce in gallonS of water. Think straight APC would definitely break down the polishing oils if after you are done with the Yellow Fellow you just spray it nice and well with APC

I pretreat Microfiber this way if it's really stained. I've got a small spray bottle with Microfiber wash that I use for this purpose.

Dr_Pain
10-28-2014, 03:06 PM
I understand what is being done (and I do it myself) HOWEVER I would love to hear what the manufacturer is saying. Thomas may come join the conversation and may change our mind in "pre-treating" our MF with harsh chemicals.

MicrofiberMadness
10-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Here I am ;-)

You know, we are honest People and I can say honestly: I DONT KNOW! ;-) No, in fact I must say that I didnt understand everything what you wrote in your post on page one. My english is not bad I believe, but there were so many words and phrases I didnt understand full, so this was the first Problem for me ;-) Please dont Forget, I am not a native english Speaker ;-)

Beside of this, my honest General reply is: We never tried things you want to try / you did. For sure, the "housewife" hint, washing the towels with some added vinegar is well known and we know that this could bring "dead towels" back to life in many cases. So this could be a proper technique to get the last residue out but as said before (and others said): In our opinion a good wash with a microfiber detergent should do the Job.

So what we cannot say because its not "approved" by us is, which chemicals or which ph values are "good" and which are "bad" for example when pre-treating towels. For sure, we used our products with harsh chemicals but to be honest, we didnt do "science tests" in a lab or something. If high concentrated APC (for example Meguiars Detailer APC or others) didnt damage the fabric during Trials, it was fine for us. Our Incredi material for example is also used together with strong degreasers in wash cycles - no issues with that after several Trials.

Anyway, we use our products VERY often in car care and we treat them "normal". That means: Normal use for everything whats needed, normal cleaning with detergents and microfiber wash and normal drying.

We full understand your fears / concerns because products are not cheap and you care much about these things to stay in shape and we really love to see this because its an honor for us! But from our side we would say "Have more fun in USING the products and be happy with the great results and Quality instead of bringing too much science into this". If you pre-treated other microfiber with APC to remove the dirt and it worked - do it with ours too and I strongly believe there is no difference because Microfiber is a very tough and strong material. For sure, if you start soaking a Crazy Pile in strong acid I wont believe it will survice ;-)

Sorry if we cannot tell you more regarding your questions, but you see we prefere to be honest instead of telling you bulls*** or lies.

Hope this post helps ;-)