PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk compressors

ChrisDA
06-08-2014, 03:32 PM
So I know there are tons of threads about compressors online, but there are always pages and pages of responses with tons of jargon and opinions.

I'm looking for a cheap compressor that I can plug into a regular wall socket that will power a Tornador and 2" Air DA (Not at the same time).

Any ideas?

Jaddie
06-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Dear Chris

I don't know about the polisher, but my 21-gallon, 2.5HP Harbor Freight compressor (http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html) powers the Tornador Black just fine.

— Jaddie

GreatAvalon
06-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Not sure about cheap, but I have a Craftsman air compressor. It rocks, I love it. I'm not exactly sure on the size tank and HP motor needed, but I would definitely say look hard at Craftsman, even if they are more $$.

Docpeanut
06-09-2014, 02:49 AM
I've got a porter cable pancake compressor, they can be had for 100-150. Plenty of power

kaval
06-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Choosing a compressor depends on the tools you're running. Basically, you must look at the tools and see what their air consumption is at 90psi. Most tools run at this air pressure. If a tool is using 5scfm @ 90psi, your compressor needs to output AT LEAST that amount of air at 90psi (5scfm).
Knowing this will allow you to choose the right sized compressor that doesn't keep running all the time.

ChrisDA
06-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Choosing a compressor depends on the tools you're running. Basically, you must look at the tools and see what their air consumption is at 90psi. Most tools run at this air pressure. If a tool is using 5scfm @ 90psi, your compressor needs to output AT LEAST that amount of air at 90psi (5scfm).
Knowing this will allow you to choose the right sized compressor that doesn't keep running all the time.

Thanks Kaval, but what about the voltages etc? That stuff confuses me also. I just want to be able to plug it into a regular wall socket in my garage.

C. Charles Hahn
06-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Do you actually NEED a portable compressor for any particular reason? If you're just working out of your garage and won't be taking the compressor with you anywhere, restricting yourself to compressors that plug into a regular wall socket puts an unnecessary limit on what you'll be able to use it for.

In the long run, it will be cheaper and easier to just bite the bullet and have an electrician run a separate 220v circuit into your garage for a hard wired compressor vs. buying a smaller unit and then needing to upgrade later when it doesn't have enough output to do everything you want it to do. A compressor is a long-term investment, so think about not only what you're going to use it for now, but also what you might want to do with it later.

GreatAvalon
06-11-2014, 08:29 PM
^Really? I have a pretty nice and powerful Craftsman that just plugs into the wall. Now if it is on and I plug my leaf blower in to dry the car - pop goes the breaker lol :). My compressor runs air impacts extremely well, along with various others. It will easily run a 2" DA and Tornador. Obviously it is limited compared to 220v ones, which must be crazy powerful!

ChrisDA
06-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Do you actually NEED a portable compressor for any particular reason? If you're just working out of your garage and won't be taking the compressor with you anywhere, restricting yourself to compressors that plug into a regular wall socket puts an unnecessary limit on what you'll be able to use it for.

In the long run, it will be cheaper and easier to just bite the bullet and have an electrician run a separate 220v circuit into your garage for a hard wired compressor vs. buying a smaller unit and then needing to upgrade later when it doesn't have enough output to do everything you want it to do. A compressor is a long-term investment, so think about not only what you're going to use it for now, but also what you might want to do with it later.

I didn't say I needed a portable compressor? It certainly will be staying the garage.

C. Charles Hahn
06-13-2014, 05:51 AM
^Really? I have a pretty nice and powerful Craftsman that just plugs into the wall. Now if it is on and I plug my leaf blower in to dry the car - pop goes the breaker lol :). My compressor runs air impacts extremely well, along with various others. It will easily run a 2" DA and Tornador. Obviously it is limited compared to 220v ones, which must be crazy powerful!

Air impacts actually don't require as much air to produce torque as it might seem; when I speak of considering future requirements I'm talking more about larger air DAs/rotaries, media blasting equipment, die grinders, paint guns, etc. which can be real air hogs.

While there are a few 110v compressors that can drive some higher volume tasks, they generally aren't as efficient, and putting a strain on them will shorten their lives vs. using a larger compressor that is built to drive those tools.

I didn't say I needed a portable compressor? It certainly will be staying the garage.

Generally 110v compressors are regarded as 'portable' from a marketing perspective (having casters, etc.); that's why I referred to a portable vs. a hard-wired compressor. You can get into an entry-level fixed unit without completely breaking the bank, but again I would urge you to consider the largest unit you can afford and have room for instead of looking for something cheap that just marginally gets the job done. That's just my $0.02 anyway...

Asphalt Rocket
06-25-2014, 03:52 PM
I have the Snap-On portable compressor. 30 gallon tank with a 5hp motor, so no strain for any task. The reason I have a portable tank is I have a bunch of equipment in my basement and sometimes need the compressor in my garage. It is getting tiresome dragging the compressor from the basement to the garage so eventually I will get a larger Snap-On unit for my basement. Nothing wrong with getting a very good quality portable compressor.

Dr_Pain
06-25-2014, 06:21 PM
I personally have a 30 gallon 6.5hp 5.5 scfm @90psi and on extensive work with the Tornador Black, the compressor runs constant. It is not losing power but.... I will eventually upgrade the compressor, but it is not in the budget at this time.