Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: Sonus ION Paint Coating

Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Sonus ION Paint Coating

I would like to start out and thank CarPro-US.com and Corey. I was lucky enough to win this Sonus Ion Paint coating via New Product Giveaway: Sonus Ion
    As promised here is my review and thoughts...

Sonus ION Paint Coating bonds to paint by creating a chemically induced positive charged ion.
    This positive charge enables the coating to strongly bond to the surface, producing long-lasting protection against UV rays, acid-rain, water spotting, and oxidation.
    ...A single application lasts up to one year.

Labeling:
    The directions on the label are simple, well defined & does not read like it was translated!

Directions:
    Are simple and straight forward. In the shade apply, let sit 30 minutes and remove.
    The directions state to use a microfiber applicator. I did and found it a bit grabby.
    I wound up using the red foam applicator and found the application much smoother.

A second coat can be applied after four hours, if desired. Wait 30 minutes and remove.
    Well if you're like me that's an invitation "Biff, I want make sure that we get two coats..."

Application:
    The color of Sonus ION is a dark lime green with a slight hint of chemical smell.
    ION is a semi thick product with a very slight pull when applying. A bit more than Coli 845.
    A small amount (3-4 pea to dime size drops) was plenty to cover each panel.
    Repeat this for each panel and let it sit on the paint for thirty minutes in the shade.

OK, I thought to myself (wait 30 minutes?)...this is going to be like cement to remove.
    Side Note:I did find that ION made the hair on my arms stand up during the application.

Removal:
    To my surprise after 30 minutes ION was very easy to remove! Easier than removing Coli 845
    For removal I used a Yellow Fellow 2.0 polish removal towel and it was an absolute breeze!

Properties:
    The label stated that ION attracts dust after application. I personally did not experience this.
    I did find the ION side of the hood looked crisper, brighter and had more vibrance than Coli 845

Look and Feel:
    Sonus ION has a bit of a slicker (softer) feel and a higher-gloss shine than the Collinite 845
    As I stated above it also appears to have more clarity and it is definitely crisper and brighter.
    I used it on a dark Cosmic Grey Mica Toyota 2014.5 Camry and it has a nice good wet-look
    I am looking forward to applying it to white paint or a light color (even silver) because it's shiny.

Final Thoughts:
    There is a lot of "buzz" in the detailing products world these days regarding the term "coating".
    There are folks that make a true "coating". The application & removal process is very different.
    Sonus ION is applied and removed exactly like a "sealant". Easy on & even easier to remove.

IMHO Product terminology is not defined in the detailing arena. E.G. Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish
    Z-2 PRO Polish is definitely an LSP.. Megs Ultimate Wax has no wax and is a polymer sealant.
    When most of us think of a polish we think of it like Compound, Polish then Last Step Product.

I'm not sure if I'd classify Sonus ION as a "coating" but if is "coats" your paint I guess it's a coating.

Longevity:
    Only time will tell. They say..."A single application lasts up to one year." I'll keep you posted on that.

Hydrophobic Reaction:
    I haven't had time to play with the hose yet (spray, flood etc.) If it's exciting and fun I'll post a video.

Bottom Line:
    Now that I have used Sonus ION would I recommend this product?
    Yes
    It probably would not be my first choice for "coating" durability although it is slated to outlive most sealants.
    I like it! If for nothing else, ease of application & removal, nice slick feel, a high-gloss shine & good longevity.

Do I think it will out live other true hard shell "coating" products?
    No
    I personally feel it is a boosted by Polycharger® sealant created to outlast the current sealants on the market.

It looks good on this dark Camry. The metallic is vivid and really pops. ION may not be my first choice for black.
    This could easily become my new go-to product for white as it has a very distinct clear, crisp, bright & glossy shine.

Did I mention Sonus ION is easy on, easier off, crisp, slick, bright and shiny?
    These are my honest thoughts...I'd tell you if a product was difficult, did not deliver as stated, or was snake oil.
    Again, I'd like to thank Corey for the opportunity to try this product. This is a product I'll be adding to my arsenal.

Wash: (2 bucket method), Iron-X Snow soap and Merino Wool Wash Mitt.
    Decontamination: IronX LS (Lemon Scent) & Speedy Surface Prep Towel.
    Defect Leveling: PC 7424xp with D300 and Megs 5" mf finishing disc.
    Gloss Enhancement: Lake Country 5" Black foam with Carpro Reflect.
    Paint Prep: Car-Pro Eraser wipe-down twice on all polished surfaces.
    Last Step Product: Two coats of Sonus ION or Right side of hood.
    Last Step Product: Two coats of Collinite 845 on Left side of hood.
    Last Step Product: All other paint coated with Sonus ION Paint Coating.

On the test vehicle I used Collinite 845 on the left side of the hood and Sonus ION on the right

Applied

Collinite 845 removed passenger side...30 minute wait to remove Sonus ION from drivers side,

Removed

Thanks for Looking...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are Corey's application instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Corey
    Heres my directions:

Instructions:

For neglected or oxidized surfaces, first use the appropriate Polish depending on the severity of the paint damage.
    Shake well before use.
    Make sure the surface is cool, clean and dry.
    Apply 2 dime size amounts to a clean dry foam applicator and rub thoroughly onto the surface.
    Product must be spread thin and allowed 30 minutes or longer to flash, enabling proper bonding to occur.
    Using a dry microfiber towel, buff off residue.
    You may experience slight static electricity while removing and witness dust accumulation for first 4 hours due to charge.
    For an even deeper, wetter-looking shine, additional layers may be applied after 4 hours.
    ^ The red foam applicator works smooth

- Sonus ION -
    Apply like a liquid wax Apply all the way around the vehicle (No hurry, No worry)
    Allow to haze for 30 minutes. Relax and enjoy a cold beverage while you're waiting.
    Wipe it off. It a pleasure removing ION with a Microfiber Madness: Yellow Fellow 2.0
    Last edited by Merlin; 06-28-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review Merlin, thanks for doing it so well! Looking forward to the updates!
    Tad

Post Thanks / Like
    I think sonus is onto something. A coating that applies like a sealant or liquid wax makes perfect sense...you can't miss any spots because you can easily see your work, and you can't over apply it as is the curse of current coatings. This is nube proof which other coatings surely aren't.

Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Sonus ION Paint Coating

Nice Review Merlin!

Good points about "coating" and if you define this as one. I would agree but definitely a product to add to that notch of customer that doesn't want coating but wants a year of durability. I trust them on the year just because they are good peoples and have always put out amazing products. I'm at ???4 months?? So far? I'll have to look

Funny story... When I was testing this during the beta I buffed it off almost all panels after 30 BUT I left some on half a panel and planned to come back out a few hours later to check it....

Well I forgot and it wasn't until the next day after condensation and drying back out I realized it was not wiped. I decided I would leave it even longer and see how long it would be easy to wipe off. I just wiped a small section every few weeks for months.... Still easy to remove. At no time did it become difficult.
    Last edited by Corey; 06-29-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Merlin! Corey, you forgot to add that ,after application, coffee cups cannot be set on roof anymore!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about being able to come back days later to remove left over missed residue areas. Try doing that with other "coatings".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    Great review Merlin! Corey, you forgot to add that ,after application, coffee cups cannot be set on roof anymore!
    Exactly right Dad! My front seat agrees Actually that was the Beta upgraded Ultima Paint Guard Plus side that happened on as I recall!!

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Good point about being able to come back days later to remove left over missed residue areas. Try doing that with other "coatings".
    Its crazy.... Even after multiple rains and sun bakings it still wiped off day after day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Merlin,

How were the long time results of the Ion?

Sent from my phone when I am supposed to be doing something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Merlin,

How were the long time results of the Ion?

Sent from my phone when I am supposed to be doing something else.
    Real world testing update... truly ashamed I don't have any pics but I have a good story! My next door neighbor John received a bottle of Four Star paint Cleaner and Sonus Ion coat from me last August. He has zero experience and did not clay, OR polish the vehicle. He did wipe it down with the paint cleaner and then apply and remove Sonus Ion...

We are now at 11 months later - Stays outside 24/7 in Florida. Still beading fine, still looks great. He brags about it to everyone that comes to the store. I tell you (as if you guys didn't know) Im a horrible salesman and just prefer to tell people about products and let them decide... Well John will sell a bottle of Sonus Ion to every customer that walks through those doors. He's a believer! And thanks to his long term testing for me so am I :0

Anyway just a fun update i thought I would share. - Legit 1 year protection in our experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast