Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How To: Apply Cquartz UK 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Corey for your support and your answers. I found your reply very interesting especially the point that when solvents evaporate holograms disappear.

After 4 mounths I have used UK on my car without any problems yesterday I found a section of the bonnet with some water spots because I made the mistake to leave undried water on it. In the next days I'll try to remove them with CarPro Spotless.

Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Thanks Corey for your support and your answers. I found your reply very interesting especially the point that when solvents evaporate holograms disappear.

After 4 mounths I have used UK on my car without any problems yesterday I found a section of the bonnet with some water spots because I made the mistake to leave undried water on it. In the next days I'll try to remove them with CarPro Spotless.

Thank you again.
    Thank you!! I believe you will be very happy with Spotless! On Glass handle with care and to be safe perhaps spray onto mf towel and then rub in and off completely rather than letting it drip on glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just applied CQUK for the very first time on a Toyota Camry. Even though the end result is fine (no streak, no high spot), I have the following difficulty and ended up excessively using 30ml for just 1 coat on 1 car.

It flashes almost immediately in 15-30 seconds and removing it feels so grabby. I put in like 3 lines of products onto the applicator and I can't go more than half the door before it starts to feel grabby/sticky. I end up using almost whole 30ml bottle for the Camry because of the constant need of adding more product. I have to wipe off immediately because it becomes sticky, grabby almost immediately right after application. There was no waiting time at all like the video is showing.

Other facts that are relevant:
    It was 5 PM, 60-65 F, humid, and a bit windy outside in Southern CA weather.
    I used total of 10 4x4 suede microfiber applicator and I switch to another side after half/each panel.
    I used total of 8 16x16 suede microfiber to wipe off and 1 16x24 BOA microfiber for the final buff. I switch sides on the microfiber very often.

What is wrong? Is UK not meant to be applied in CA weather? What do and don't I should have done?? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its the humidity. I wouldn't apply it when the humidity is over 70%

Post Thanks / Like
    I will also add that the new, 2014 version of CQUK is basically a wipe-on-wipe off product. No need to let it set or "cure" before wiping.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is another problem with that method that really needs to be discussed.
    Just like it dries and becomes grabby on a car, so it does on the felt applicator.
    Its a fantastic product, I think the felt makes it needlessly difficult to apply because you are constantly putting new product over old. We dont do this anywhere else in detailing.

SO your options are use a small lens cloth (less absorbing) do a panel- THROW IT AWAY.

So whats the logic in my system; you are NEVER mixing dried old product with new. BTW, the Irony here is that once cquartzs gets grabby or half way dries on a felt, the felt becomes hydrophobic. There is another clear an obvious violation. Its most unlikely that you cant do a whole roof with the instant wipe-off method, why? because by the time you neatly apply and walk over to the other side to reach the other half, you have left the product on too long. So what do folks do (as I read here) they do half a roof and wipe down, then go to the other side and apply to the other half. Did you catch something there? you probably used the same felt. Which is well on its way to becoming sticky. I think the carpro guys will say that dont worry the fresh solvents in the cquartz help resoften the old stuff. But I have noticed first hand, the applicator get sticky quicker if putting new product on top of old.

As I said its a discussion so look forward to your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by FSportIS View Post
    I have just applied CQUK for the very first time on a Toyota Camry. Even though the end result is fine (no streak, no high spot), I have the following difficulty and ended up excessively using 30ml for just 1 coat on 1 car.

It flashes almost immediately in 15-30 seconds and removing it feels so grabby. I put in like 3 lines of products onto the applicator and I can't go more than half the door before it starts to feel grabby/sticky. I end up using almost whole 30ml bottle for the Camry because of the constant need of adding more product. I have to wipe off immediately because it becomes sticky, grabby almost immediately right after application. There was no waiting time at all like the video is showing.

Other facts that are relevant:
    It was 5 PM, 60-65 F, humid, and a bit windy outside in Southern CA weather.
    I used total of 10 4x4 suede microfiber applicator and I switch to another side after half/each panel.
    I used total of 8 16x16 suede microfiber to wipe off and 1 16x24 BOA microfiber for the final buff. I switch sides on the microfiber very often.

What is wrong? Is UK not meant to be applied in CA weather? What do and don't I should have done?? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to contribute my experience as a means of giving back to Corey who does so much for us: Namely limiting himself to carrying only the cream of the crop. My new moto is, if Corey stands behind it, it has to be something. In a world of knock-oofs this is the only way to make sure you are getting both the best and the genuine article. Even Cquartz, the other guys give me all kinds of coupons but I buy here because they cant even tell me if its the new version of CQ or the old. So they can stuff their free shipping with orders over $10,000 discount. lol

Cquartz is very smart. And in the stickiness you are discovering its secret! and what sets it apart.

Some people get it own their own once they are explained the science behind it. I had the hardest time understanding why not to water a lawn when the sun is out, till someone explained that the drops of water are magnifying glasses that burn grass.

Full disclosure, I have used other ceramic products and realized they all have the same base ingredient, like flour for bread. But its the final product makes the difference. Here are my findings: The same way as nano-particles deflect dirt or any other thing that comes into contact with them, so they do the paint itself. So if you were to apply pure nano-ceramic to paint, it will eventually come off, its extremely anti-social, thats why it repels water- and everything else. Some manufacturers let the particles get into the valleys of the paint and hope for the best- these come off the quickest, not unlike apply reload by itself. Some mix it with a acrylic shellac and you are literally painting the car with it. The problem with this is the clarity and leveling, its not going to be flat glass you have after a perfectly detailed car. That's why these products sell to the guys who are sold wipe-on clear coat products who have not prepped the surface. And in these cases the lack of clarity and perfect level is not an issue when you started with a faded hood that was begging for some coating.

Why do I pick CQ- they have found the perfect balance between having enough adhesion with a polymer without having a thick coating. You could say they have found the perfect adhesive. Now do you see what you are doing when applying CQ. You are putting on the thinnest coat of clear coating. And you see why it will haze/smudge if you leave too much on. Why you will mess up if there is too much moisture. No adhesive works the same in the presence of moisture. Before you beat me up about using the word adhesive, thats what the paint on your car is, and you asked for something that will adhere to your car for 2 years, well here we are, its worth the slight effort and learning a skill. Dont forget why you are here, you dont want to pay a professional to do the job, you want to learn the way to do it even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    To apply Cquartz UK 2014, you will need the following items:

A clean and dry surface to apply the coating to.

Cquartz UK 2014 coating, which can be purchased from an authorized dealer.

A microfiber applicator pad for applying the coating.

A microfiber towel for removing any excess coating.

Instructions:

Make sure the surface to be coated is clean and dry. Use a clay bar or a decontamination wash to remove any contaminants from the surface.

Shake the Cquartz UK 2014 bottle well before use.

Apply a small amount of the coating to the applicator pad.

Spread the coating evenly over a small area of the surface, using a back-and-forth motion.

Use the microfiber towel to remove any excess coating before it dries.

Repeat steps 3-5 until the entire surface has been coated.

Allow the coating to cure for at least 24 hours before exposing the surface to water or sunlight.

After curing, the surface should be maintained with a proper maintenance wash and drying technique, and protected with a maintenance spray or coating.

Please note that it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results. And also, for better outcome, you should use it in a controlled environment like garage or a place where the temperature is between 60-80F and humidity is between 40-60%.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345