Thread: First detailing project

Post Thanks / Like

Cool First detailing project

My order is in transit. Product list:Iron X,Tar X,Ultima interior shampoo,Hidden edge microfiber,Incredibrush, and Four star leather conditioner. Already on the shelf: Turtle Wax Jet Black, Poorboys wheel sealant, Mothers chrome polish,Mequire's gold class Carnauba plus, Mequire's ultimate black,Nanoskin wash mitt fine grade,with Nanoskin Bubble bath and wash. The wash will be done with a foam gun. With lots of microfiber towels. I plan on Saturday evening with the sun setting to do the exterior,with Sunday for the interior.I also got a atomizer to save product. Will use for Tar X,IronX. The products on the shelf will be used up,to be replaced down the line. Any questions,concerns,or comments. I'm here to learn. Thanks,roadx

Certified CarPro Product "Guru" & Senior Member fdresq4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan on using the Nano skin Wash mitt as your mechanical decon/ wash mitt just be advised you "may " induce
    swirls. The Iron X is a great chemical decon. You may need a polish depending on your OCD.

What's your exterior plan of attack and your expectations?

Steve
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

https://m.petfinder.com/ <<<<<<<<<<Save a homeless friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve,
    Yes I was going to use the wash mitt as decontamination. Am I going over kill with Tar X and Iron X? Have only used clay 1 time. That's why I went with Nanoskin. Not using polish this time. I will be working by hand. The plan is: Tar X,rinse,IronX, wash with Bubble Bath with wash mitt,dry, apply Mequire's Gold Class wax,the enjoy a cold beer. Expectations are a nicely detailed vehicle. I think my expectations will rise as I get more familiar with the detailing process. Many years ago I used to wash,wax, have a cold one. Ya I'm old.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Iron X and Tar X are not overkill at all. You'll be amazed actually. Try the Iron X first. I have seen it remove small amounts of tar but again that depends on your situation and contamination. The nanoskin mitt, depending again on your situation, could induce some marring. Just make sure you have plenty of lubrication. Just wanted to give you the heads up.
    You mentioned a foam gun. Do a soak with it and see if that removes a bulk of the surface dirt. I use a Foam Cannon or some call it a Lance. I will soak the vehicle for about 5 minutes and let the solution do the work.
    Sounds like you have a plan and hopefully we will see some pics!
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told by one of the senior members to use the Tar X to remove old wax. The foam gun really lays a nice white frosting on the cars. The truck is a white Jeep Liberty,I will try with some pics. Is it best to use an atomizer,let it dwell,then use a sponge to agitate the product,Iron X and Tar X, then rinse off? When claying they use the plastic baggie trick, does that apply to these product? The contamination,well let's just say it hasn't been waxed in long while. I have a total of 4 cars to do. Two no wax. The other 2 have been wax previously.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Tar X was for the Tar you may have had so...LOL! I'm not sure what you mean by "Atomizer" in this case. Honestly, I have just sprayed IRON X on and let it do its thing then rinse. I would follow the instructions on the bottle and go by your situation with the contamination... http://www.carpro-us.com/decontamina...1-liter-32-oz/
    WEAR GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, and USE IN A VENTILATED AREA! It is a bit stinky!
    The Plastic Bag trick is to determine the embedded contamination level and not used for any application purposes. It's a TEST if you will.
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

Post Thanks / Like
    An atomizer is a type of spray bottle. It puts out a fine mist. I'm sure you don't want either product running off the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice order and project! Wax and a cold one sounds great too

IX and Tarx should remove pretty much any foreign material other than some overspray and of course oxidation.

Good tips and heads up from Steve about swirls with synthetic clay, break it in on glass also if new.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have decided not use the Nanoskin wash mitt at this time. Will go with IX and Tar X.