Thread: Removing CQUK from Xpel Ultimate

Post Thanks / Like

Removing CQUK from Xpel Ultimate

Hello,
    As I understand, the only way to remove CQUK is to polish it? If that is the case, how does one get rid of it from areas that were applied on top of Xpel Ultimate PPF where it's not needed to polish as its "self healing". I have read mixed reviews re polishing PPFs but I found this useful post from the COO. I have duplicated his response here as I am not sure if I cross link another thread from AG!

The reason I ask about this is that I may have CQ Finest applied to my car and wondered what's the best action plan for the areas that had Xpel covered with CQUK. Btw, I found some MSDS and it looks CQUK completely safe and friendly product! TIA.

2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
    2-1. Chemical Mixture : Liquid mixture 2-2.
    Chemical description Chemical formula Content CAS No. Remark
    Chemical non hazardous < 10.0%
    Trimethylated silica SiO2 < 60.0% 68988-56-7
    D5 Carrier oil C10H30O5Si5 > 40.0% 541-02-6
    You can buff, polish and/or seal any of our films, including Ultimate (self-healing film). What you want to watch out for is sealants, waxes or polishes that contain a large amount of either naphtha or kerosene. These are common ingredients, which if high enough in concentration, can cause polyurethane (no matter what brand it is) to discolor over time. One irony in the paint protection film industry is that one of the most commonly prescribed products by unwitting installers to use on paint protection film is Plexus, which is 23% naphtha. We have conducted lab studies with this product and found that it does indeed cause paint protection film to yellow horrendously if used repeatedly over time. Most customers simply don't notice because their car is not white or silver, and they like that it makes the film feel slippery. If it feels slippery, it must be good, right?

On the buffing/polishing aspect, what should have been conveyed by my staff is that polishing should not ever be necessary on our self-healing film, rather than it cannot be done at all. Since the film heals swirls and light scratches on its own, there should be no reason to buff.

On the Quartz sealant, I must admit I am not familiar with this product, so I can't give any truly definitive advice. The best thing to do would be to get an MSDS sheet on the product and check for the ingredients I mentioned above. Or, the truly simple thing to do (as someone else suggested) is to use our purpose made sealant.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Tim Hartt
    Chief Operating Officer
    XPEL Technologies Corp.
    2015 F82 MG/SO

Post Thanks / Like

Removing CQUK from Xpel Ultimate

Right, in prep for Finest over the currently coated ppf I would do a fine polish and Eraser wipe before application. I say a fine polish as we don't want to remove the self healing abilities of the ultimate.

If it looks good as it is currently and the ppf is healing when marred I may consider skipping anything further on that portion expect regular hydrofoam washes or reset + reload. Ppf loves reload

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Right, in prep for Finest over the currently coated ppf I would do a fine polish and Eraser wipe before application. I say a fine polish as we don't want to remove the self healing abilities of the ultimate.
    is reflect considered a fine polish?

If it looks good as it is currently and the ppf is healing when marred I may consider skipping anything further on that portion expect regular hydrofoam washes or reset + reload. Ppf loves reload
    Do I understand from this that if the film is ok , then do not polish and do not apply CQ Finest over the film? Thank you!
    2015 F82 MG/SO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
    is reflect considered a fine polish?
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
    Do I understand from this that if the film is ok , then do not polish and do not apply CQ Finest over the film? Thank you!
    Yes, that is correct...
    Tad

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow up question to this discussion...
    I just applied cquartz uk 3.0 last week to most of my car.
    I didn't get a chance to do front fenders due to darkness. However, I overwiped some residual cquartz from the hood on to a fender that has xpel PPF. This left an ugly hazy shadow I noticed the next day.
    How Should I polish/buff/ or chemically remove the haze on ppf fender
    before applying a good coat of cquartz uk 3.0?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 808granato View Post
    Follow up question to this discussion...
    I just applied cquartz uk 3.0 last week to most of my car.
    I didn't get a chance to do front fenders due to darkness. However, I overwiped some residual cquartz from the hood on to a fender that has xpel PPF. This left an ugly hazy shadow I noticed the next day.
    How Should I polish/buff/ or chemically remove the haze on ppf fender
    before applying a good coat of cquartz uk 3.0?
    A light polish will be fine to remove it.