Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essance + MF help

Post Thanks / Like

Essance + MF help

Hey everyone, looking for a little assistance.

In a month or so I plan in doing our subaru outback with essance and cquartz origional but I have never used a MF pad.

The car is in pretty good shape so I think I can one step it. Test spot will tell. I have a v2 meguiars da.

My main question is how many MF pads do I need to do a car that size?

I know more is obviously better but can I get away with 2 or 3 5" pads and 2 or 3 3" pads?

I plan on cleaning on the fly with air.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    You can. But it will be slow going because since you have just a few pads, you are going to have to stop to clean them off quite a bit and air alone will not be sufficient. Unlike foam pads that can be spun dry on the buffer, I have always found that they need some time to dry enough to be able to work properly. Some people swear by MF pads and I like them for some finishing work, but I just got a dozen or so the CarPro flash and polishing pads in 3 and 5 to see what those are all about. If time is on your side, then you should be able to knock it out with the pads you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperDon View Post
    You can. But it will be slow going because since you have just a few pads, you are going to have to stop to clean them off quite a bit and air alone will not be sufficient. Unlike foam pads that can be spun dry on the buffer, I have always found that they need some time to dry enough to be able to work properly. Some people swear by MF pads and I like them for some finishing work, but I just got a dozen or so the CarPro flash and polishing pads in 3 and 5 to see what those are all about. If time is on your side, then you should be able to knock it out with the pads you have.
    Hmmm....very true. Thanks Don.

I wonder if I should just do a correction with a polish I'm more comfortable with and use essance as more of a gloss enhancer/primer on a finish pad.

I have a ton of hydrotechs I use.

I know I wont save any time that way but I'm just a DIY hobbyist.

Thanks again Don. One of the reasons I asked is others opinions help get the wheels spinnin.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are very welcome. I am no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I do listen very carefully when the Pros do try and teach us all something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find I use 5-7 pads per step (correction or polish). Having fresh pads insures consistent results across the full vehicle.

I just used 5, Buff & Shine MF 6" pads to do a new Forester. (Not a pro, just one of the enthusiasts).
    Northern Vermont

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    I find I use 5-7 pads per step (correction or polish). Having fresh pads insures consistent results across the full vehicle.

I just used 5, Buff & Shine MF 6" pads to do a new Forester. (Not a pro, just one of the enthusiasts).
    Thanks Ebg18t. I'm really not sure what I want to do. I keep going back and forth in my head.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and pick up a bunch of MF pads and be done with it.

I really want to try to one step this cause the subaru paint is so soft and in pretty good shape...I think it will come out good.

How was the condition of the Forester?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Reflect on the Subaru with great results. Essence followed by a coating would be awesome.
    Northern Vermont

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    I used Reflect on the Subaru with great results. Essence followed by a coating would be awesome.
    Awesome thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you should be able to complete the car with just a few pads. The biggest thing I find with the MF pads is they need to be swapped out often (maybe as often as every pass) to get the best cut, and to reduce the heat build up. (I toasted a Meg's MF Finishing pad with the Rupes 15 Mark II over the weekend trying Essence and the 'slow' method because I did not swap out the pad often.)
    I did a G35 a while back, and cleaned & swapped the pad after every pass. It added a little time, but I got through the whole car with 2 Megs MF cutting pads and my GG 6".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by black-n-silver View Post
    I think you should be able to complete the car with just a few pads. The biggest thing I find with the MF pads is they need to be swapped out often (maybe as often as every pass) to get the best cut, and to reduce the heat build up. (I toasted a Meg's MF Finishing pad with the Rupes 15 Mark II over the weekend trying Essence and the 'slow' method because I did not swap out the pad often.)
    I did a G35 a while back, and cleaned & swapped the pad after every pass. It added a little time, but I got through the whole car with 2 Megs MF cutting pads and my GG 6".
    That's cool! Thank you for the input. I really appreciate all the help.

The whole MF pad thing is new to me. I am not an expert with foam pads either but I've at least used those a handful of times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast