Thread: What are the steps needed to use Reload properly

Post Thanks / Like

What are the steps needed to use Reload properly

Hi everyone! Newbie here. I had my '13 Black Ram and '15 Dark Granite Jeep Grand Cherokee Cquatzed early last year and I am looking to make them pop again. I have washed and spray waxed them many times since last year but want to try Reload now. I never used Reload because I was afraid of leaving streaks or not applying it correctly and then not being able to fix it. I'm looking for a step by step process of how to get my car ready for Reload and everything I will need to get that done. I just want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for the help!
    Josh

Certified CarPro Product "Guru" & Senior Member fdresq4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How crazy do you want to get? LOL..

I like to decon the surface and remove any other LSP's, unless of course it's ReLoad or CQ coating.

A good clean, cool, dry surface for me. I like to use a Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile, 2 actually. One to wipe the spray and a second to gently buff as an immediate follow up. Make sure to Shake the product. Work one panel at a time. Sometimes I'll spray it on the towel or directly on the surface. A couple of spritzes work for me. Finally good lighting to check for streaks and such.

Steve
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

https://m.petfinder.com/ <<<<<<<<<<Save a homeless friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's get nuts! (Seinfeld) Lol.

Thanks for the reply fdresq4. Do you think it's a good idea to clay or iron-x or is that overkill?

How hard is it to screw up Reload? I have a light but what if I miss something can it be fixed without polishing it?

Post Thanks / Like
    When applying something totally new, especially Reload for the first time, I like to decon with the two you mentioned. I like to use a clay alternative but nothing wrong with clay either. Some guys on here will use Iron X paste a lubricant with a Polyshave towel or block. Just be aware that you "may" introduce some swirls with deconning.
    The 2014 version of Reload had issues with streaking but I have not had any issues with the 2015 and newer batch.
    A light is handy to have but if you see a streak, grab a damp clean towel and even it out. Buff with a clean dry to follow up.
    I'm guessing you have the Iron X spray? Decon with that prior to using clay. That will remove a lot of ferrous material.

Steve
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fdresq4 View Post
    When applying something totally new, especially Reload for the first time, I like to decon with the two you mentioned. I like to use a clay alternative but nothing wrong with clay either. Some guys on here will use Iron X paste a lubricant with a Polyshave towel or block. Just be aware that you "may" introduce some swirls with deconning.
    The 2014 version of Reload had issues with streaking but I have not had any issues with the 2015 and newer batch.
    A light is handy to have but if you see a streak, grab a damp clean towel and even it out. Buff with a clean dry to follow up.
    I'm guessing you have the Iron X spray? Decon with that prior to using clay. That will remove a lot of ferrous material.

Steve
    Ok I've never used clay or the iron-x before. Should I spray iron-x on the whole truck, then use clay or clay alternative (if necessary) then use reset then reload?

As you can tell I'm a newb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Josh,

Iron X first before clay and use on the body of the truck and wheels. With the wheels just be aware of the Wheel weights changing color and such. I would suggest reading thru the directions with IRON X.
    Link below then Product Description...
    http://www.carpro-us.com/paint-decon...1-liter-32-oz/

Then clay or alternative with a good lube spray.

As with anything, use proper precautions, Iron X stinks and I would recommend eye protection, gloves, a face mask. Then again, you should be wearing protection when doing anything with detailing.

Also, after deconning, you may need to correct/polish to remove defects, swirls, etc., from your paint.

Another suggestion, if you have a foam cannon, is to use IronX Snow Foam. Fill the canister with the snow foam, no mixing with water. Not only will that help you with deconning but should remove any left behind waxes and such. Just be aware of that it does stink a bit.

Steve
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

Certified Professional Installer Yanksautodetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use reload on all my standard details. Good two bucket wash, decon, Clay/nano skin mitt and then Two micro towels. I only use the Carpro Boa towels. One for buffing in and one for wiping off. Basically do one panel at a time. Try not to be in direct sunlight. Spray 3-5 on the panel and and a few on the Micro towel. Then buff in. Immediately after buff the reload off with the other towel.