Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - Cquartz Leather Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Review - Cquartz Leather Coating

I posted a re view of the product over on Autgeek and figured I would post it over here.

I originally applied it to my 2002 Camaro SS back on February 14, 2016. It's held up great in this time. Now I don't daily drive this car. I drive it on occasion. It's more of a weekend driver. I applied 1 coat to all the seats.

Here is the original write up of when I applied it to my Camaro seats.

Product description:

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating is the ultimate protection against the non-stop abuse that the leather and vinyl upholstery in a daily driver is exposed to. CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating forms a semi-permanent protective barrier on leather and vinyl surfaces that resists staining caused by mud, grease, crayons, juice, super glue and more! CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating is perfect for light colored leather because it protects against dye transfer from clothing.

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating is the most durable leather protectant available. Unlike a conditioner that penetrates into the surface, Cquartz Leather forms a flexible shell of protection on top of the surface that prevents the leather’s natural oils from escaping in the first place, ensuring the leather retains its soft, tactile feel.

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating will not cause leather to “yellow” or fade. This durable coating creates a hydrophobic and UV resistant barrier of protection that keeps your leather looking and feeling like the day it was new.

Interiors that are coated with CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating will be easier to maintain! Because the coating prevents dirt and grime from sticking to the leather, a damp microfiber towel is all it takes maintain the finish.

Protect your vehicle’s delicate leather and vinyl upholstery with CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating!
    From the CarPro site

Features and Specifications:

• Durability: 1 to 2 years
    • Resists dye transfer
    • Hydrophobic & Oil Phobic
    • Stain resistant
    • Chemical resistant
    • UV resistant
    • "Easy clean" affect
    • Preserves color and resists fading
    Tools and products used:

CarPro Leather Coating
    Meguiar's D181 Leather Cleaner
    Adams Interior Brush
    Various microfiber towels

Product packaging

Directions

What's included in the package

The coating is sealed as well.

Expiration date on the bottom of the bottle

Prior to the coating application, I cleaned the leather seats with Meguiar's D181 and a brush. I followed up with a damp microfiber per the directions.

Before shot of the lower bolster cleaned up using D181 and wiped down with a damp microfiber.

After shot of the lower bolster shot with Cquartz leather coating. It has a slight darkening effect. It was a bit difficult to capture the slight darkening with the camera. I didn't take too many photos.

Thoughts:

Cquartz leather coating has a slight darkening effect. It leaves a matte finish on the leather surface once it dries.

When applying it almost feels and looks like there is no product being applied to the leather surface due to the darkening effect not being too noticeable. I even thought I was not applying enough to the applicator. It also appears as if it is streaking. But that goes away once it is buffed off to remove any remaining high spots. It had a little bit of a learning curve but after one seat I was able to figure out how to use it.

The leather had a nice feeling once it dried after about 10-15 min.

It will be hard to judge the durability of it on this car since I don't drive it daily . But the upside is all I need to do is use a damp applicator to maintain the surface.

A little product when a long way. I used 4 applicators. One for each seat (2 front + 2 rear). I will be using this on my daily driver as well the next time I detail the interior.

Overall a great product that leaves the surface looking and feeling great.

2. Likes nisensai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over time I have posted up some follow up photos of various applications.

I give the seats a wipedown with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer every so often. It has a light cleaner built in. But it has not degraded the coating on the seats.

Here is the beading from a spritz of QID. I tried my best to capture it.

I applied it to my uncles leather seats in his 2002 Corvette. The seats came out great. Should make future cleanings much easier.

I even put some on my shoes just for the heck of it lol. It seems to be holding up fine.

Applied it to the leather seat on my brothers harley.

I applied it to the wood grain plastics on my dad's 2015 Impala after polishing them up as it is stated on the box that it can be used on these types of areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most recently I applied it to the seats on my dad's 2015 Impala leather seats. The seats are grey. Tested this a few months back on an inconspicuous spot to see if it would cause any issues. It did not, so I finally had time to apply to the leather seats. Applied 2 coats to the rear seats and 3 coats on the front seats.

Lost daylight while I was finishing up. Took the Scangrip iView headlamp out and lit up the area.

1 1/2 days later I tested out the hydrophobic properties of the coating on the seats.

Water out of an eye dropper.

Water sprayed out of a spray bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up doing a 2 part video review of the leather coating while I was applying it to the seats in the Impala. I tried to keep it short.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely AWESOME review!!!

It made me fall in love with Cquartz Leather Coating all over again!

Certified CarPro Product "Guru" & Senior Member fdresq4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guz,

Great review! Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, I'm going to post thus on the Tundra forum I frequent.

Steve
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

https://m.petfinder.com/ <<<<<<<<<<Save a homeless friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Guz, thanks for posting it!
    Tad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Absolutely AWESOME review!!!

It made me fall in love with Cquartz Leather Coating all over again!
    Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. Been one of my favorite products.

Quote Originally Posted by fdresq4 View Post
    Guz,

Great review! Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, I'm going to post thus on the Tundra forum I frequent.

Steve
    Thanks. Feel free to reference it on the tundra forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    Great review Guz, thanks for posting it!
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw this update on the product precaution section.

Precautions:

Professional Product - Not for do it yourself use
    Do NOT use the orange suede applicators. Use only white cotton applicators or white suedes.
    Avoid use on white/light colored interiors
    Confirm any leather is standard finished leather only and if unsure perform 2 week visual test on inconspicuous surface
    Note: Currently there are a variety of leather and vinyl materials with a variety of coatings used by many auto manufacturers. It is not possible to acquire or test this number of surfaces therefore user must confirm viability in inconspicuous area on any surface.
    This is interesting as the two bottles I had came with the orange suede applicators. I now see the recommendation for white suedes or cotton applicators. Is there a reason for this change? Do new bottles come with different color auede applicators?

I just ordered a new bottle from Autopia as I had a gift certificate so I am curious if they will come with a different applicator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I just saw this update on the product precaution section.

This is interesting as the two bottles I had came with the orange suede applicators. I now see the recommendation for white suedes or cotton applicators. Is there a reason for this change? Do new bottles come with different color auede applicators?

I just ordered a new bottle from Autopia as I had a gift certificate so I am curious if they will come with a different applicator.
    Yes, we discovered just a few days ago, the suedes we use now with water based dye have some bleeding affect with the CQuartz leather formula which can leave a slight tint to the coating and could possibly be visible on white leather. So we are replacing all the applicators now in our kits. On dark leather you would not see an issue.
    Last edited by DARK HORSE; 01-16-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    Tad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast