Thread: My experience with old CQ UK

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with old CQ UK

Hi all,
    Yesterday morning, I cracked open a sealed 50ml bottle in its sealed box, dated 2014 on the Box Seal, dated 04-08-15 exp. date on the bottom of the bottle.

I decided to try to use this bottle on my enclosed 14 year old 6x12 Cargo Trailer on some specific areas to protect.

With limited early morning time now before it gets too hot, I first started with polishing the Black Fenders, which after sitting outside 24/7 and not getting the OCD attention of polish-protection this past year looked dull, greyish, and oxidized.

The PC with Megs 4" Red Polishing Pads and Wolfgang Uber Compound got them looking pretty good again. did a wipe with Eraser, then proceeded to coat. Temps were at a cool 72 degrees in very early morning sunlight, about 7am.

Yes, the coating still appeared to be in a liquid state, seeming to be visually unchanged by eye from what a brand spanking new bottle would look like.

Dribbled just fine onto the Suede Applicator, and applied liberally.

The differences I noted were pretty much zero work time, that immediately after application, and when trying to wipe with an MF Towel to level-smooth, the product was more "smeary", and sticky.

Coming behind and wiping was negatively effecting the application I noted.

I only tried wiping in a small area to see the results as I suspected such might occur.

Thus what I did, was I again laid down another thick wet coat, spread in a crosshatch pattern, and then left it alone. It seemed to flash with a little bit of streaking, barely noticeable, but decided this was good enough, and then left it alone to initially dry-cure.

I waited close to 2 hour's time for initial dry to then come behind with applying Reload, and it seemed like it didn't harden and set up as well as a bottle of fresh product would, but none the less did appear to work.

Seemed like what I've sometimes experienced with CQ DLX, where there have been instances where the product got grabby quickly, and would sometimes just only apply the product and then not touch it with anything after.

Was a little bit of streakiness observed from a little bit of uneven flashing, but not at all bad, and appears I have a nice hard protective coat on board that will surely last much longer than any waxes-sealants.

IMO, it would've been a wasteful sin to toss a 50ml bottle of this product, and that although maybe not ready for prime time to be used on a beloved vehicle, that such can still be used to good effect on lesser projects for protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing your experience Mark!
    Tad

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning, I Coated the upper curved painted panels, and the front top Fiberglass Cap.

I had to stop polishing on one side, the paint is getting pretty thin, and was seeing too much paint coming off .

Should've maybe did a Meg's #7 treatment on the paint first to feed it.

The Fiberglass Cap I used Polish, but then switched to a less agressive Paint Enhancer-Cleaner on the other top Panel.

After two hours dry time, the paint now has rock hard protection.

In retrospect, I wish I would've CQuartzed this trailer some years ago. It would've been worth every penny IMO to get much better protection, and ease-lessen the many maintenance hours spent on it.

So far, I've only used about 1/4th of the 50ml Bottle, I'll probably continue on using it, and coat as much of the trailer as I can.

In fact, I've got another fresh 50ml bottle of UK on hand, with 2016 date, might as well use this too if I need to, and do the whole trailer!

Essentially, all I have to do on the rest of the trailer is clean the paint to remove rain staining-dirt is all. I'll probably use the WG Polish Paint Enhancer since I pretty much have a full 16oz bottle on hand. I'm not so much trying to achieve perfection, but mostly protection.

PS: I'm sorry that I have no pictures to show, perhaps I take one after the job is complete to show.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd definitely like to see a picture, I bet it looks great!
    Tad

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to get the Trailer in shape for trekking across the country, I touched up some roof Caulking this morning, and will let that dry.

But then after, I used CQ UK on the Front Trailer Hitch Frame. I simply used a small 1" square 3/8" thick piece of Foam Sponge for application.

About 2 years ago, I repainted this with a rattle can of Black Krylon Paint. But it too was looking mighty dull, greyish, and oxidized from the Desert Sun.

So, I simply wiped it down with APC, and a small towel, bucket of water, let dry then proceeded to coat it with UK.

You folks no doubt know how well CQ DLX will knock your eyes out when applied to trim? Well, I got the same effect with the CQ UK on this black frame. Gave it two heavy coats about 10 minutes apart, and the Frame almost looks like I just spray painted it, nice and black and glossy again with no further work other than cleaning.

The one sad thing is, when using these various Carpro Coating Products, is they virtually obsolete all my lesser waxes and sealants, in which none of them would've done what this Ceramic Coating can do! Bravo!

I am seriously contemplating a move from here in the desert soon, the reason why I'm getting things up to snuff here.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-14-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning, I cleaned all roof Caulk on the trailer with APC, and Water. Then Caulked in a few areas to insure integrity.

And tomorrow, I am going to use CQ UK to "Coat" all the Caulking complete. The Caulking is about a 1-1/2" Strip around all 4 sides of the Roof on this 6x12 Trailer.

While maybe an unorthodox use for this product, I would still bet my last dollar that CQ UK will likely protect such much better and longer than 99% of other products made on the market such as Rubber-Tire Dressings, with probably the exception perhaps of a product like CQ DLX.

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I completed CQ UK'ing my Cargo Trailer.

Temps were 69-71F degrees and relative humidity at 12%

I got really tortured 2 days ago doing a wash on all lower panels. I did a wash with a combination of Duragloss Shampoo and Dawn Soap, did it mid day, and had horrible streaking stains left in the paint that wasn't washing, or wiping off. The paint was of course clean, but you swore I washed with Hyrdocloric Acid, looked pretty bad.

The paint on these Trailers aren't all that to begin with, and after 14 years of age and weathering I didn't want to use any sort of abrasive polish. So I had that 16oz Bottle of Wolfgang Paint Cleansing Lotion and did the entire Trailer by hand yesterday morning! Uggh, not what I was planning to have to do, but it looked better, and pretty much got the paint looking good enough for the protection step.

So, the first step this morning was doing a full wipe down with CP Eraser, and a couple clean MF Towels, and began to coat.

While I had about a 1/4 of a bottle of the older formula, I decided to used the newer 2016 edition 50ml Bottle of CQ UK instead.

I started at the back, and simply walked around applying in a cross hatch pattern, and used the vertical Clutch Screws per section on the panels as a guide. I would say the entire coating process took me 25-30 minutes at most.

What I noted, and just like when I did my Tahoe, the Coating again was laying down so smoothly, and leveling so nicely, I decided not to do a final MF Towel Wipe. Like the Tahoe, it was like I was simply laying down a smooth coat of "Liquid Glass" onto the paint.

This was probably one reason why things went so fast, no need of further wiping, and figured by wiping, all I'd be doing is removing some of the precious coating. (now if this was a car project where perfection was required, I would have of course wiped to level-smooth)

Today, like yesterday, will be about 102-103F degrees, and no rain in the forecast. So I will simply let the Coating bake all day, and tomorrow morn I'll most likely do a walk around applying CP Reload to temporarily protect the coating against any possible upcoming precipitation-rain.

My picture taking is usually never good, lighting isn't optimal early morning, and as you know, white is a difficult color to showcase.

Overall, I'm happy, and in retrospect like I said in an earlier post wish I'd have done the coating on the Trailer 2-3 years ago, that the paint then was probably in better condition.DSCN0745.jpgDSCN0746.jpgDSCN0747.jpg

PS: (I used about 7/8's of the 50ml bottle on this project)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, it seriously looks better than new!! Great story, thanks for sharing it!
    Tad

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another pic, about 10am this morning, in full sunlight. Not sure how much better this pic looks?

Also, I'd like to make a small correction to my last post. The fresh Bottle of 2016 CQ UK that I opened this morning, and used about 7/8ths of, was only a 30ml Bottle, and not a 50ml Bottle.

DSCN0748.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!
    Tad