Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do and how to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

What to do and how to do it.

Hi! It's been probably 2 or 3 months since I've washed my truck (2013 black ram 1500). Just been taking it through touchless car washes. Next weekend I'm washing it finally and I just got a Sun Joe pressure washer that I used today on our house and loved it.

My plan is to power wash my truck first then two bucket wash with reset then rinse. I always feel in panic mode when I wash the truck all at one time because I don't want the soap to dry. What's the best way to wash my truck? Can I rinse with the power washer or should I just use a hose?

I also just got a master blaster revolution to dry. I want to put reload on when everything is all said and done. Truck might have some finest on it from 3 years ago.

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkgriswald View Post
    Hi! It's been probably 2 or 3 months since I've washed my truck (2013 black ram 1500). Just been taking it through touchless car washes. Next weekend I'm washing it finally and I just got a Sun Joe pressure washer that I used today on our house and loved it.

My plan is to power wash my truck first then two bucket wash with reset then rinse. I always feel in panic mode when I wash the truck all at one time because I don't want the soap to dry. What's the best way to wash my truck? Can I rinse with the power washer or should I just use a hose?

I also just got a master blaster revolution to dry. I want to put reload on when everything is all said and done. Truck might have some finest on it from 3 years ago.

Thanks for the help.
    Some of what you are asking depends on the quality of the water and your environment during the washing process.
    Use the hose. I'm not a big fan of power washing. I feel a water pressure can "push" dirt across the paint and scratch it.

I like to gently rinse flood a section then use a snow foam pre-soak via foam cannon to "lift" the dirt before a Two Bucket Wash.
    In the case of a truck, I may start with a pH7 orange/citrus spray cleaner on the bottom half of the paint to loosen/remove dirt and road grime.

For the wheels, I might suggest making a bottle of a mixture of wheel cleaner, vinegar, Dawn soap and water and spray before using the Pressure washer.
    I have found this combination to be effective in cleaning off road grime, brake dust etc. Spray bottle let sit, pressure washer remove, wipe/dry...all clean.

As far as the wash soap drying...you may need to do the truck in sections. I always try to rotate counterclockwise around a vehicle when I'm working on it.
    I start with the roof, then the hood, then the drivers side, then the trunk/bed/tailgate, then come forward on the passenger side starting from the rear to the front.

In the shade...Rinse, PW/foam cannon pre-wash soap, Merino wash mitt, rinse again, dry. Your water, sun, environment etc. determines how many sections you can do at a time.
    Follow the foam pre-wash with a Two Bucket Wash Method. Using the Master Blaster and 2) Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy (25" x 17") drying towels and you should be fne.

Short Version:
    If you are doing the engine bay do it first before you wash your truck. (a different post)
    Do the wheels first, the roof, hood, then side panels going counterclockwise around the truck.
    Rinse with the hose. Follow with the Two Bucket Wash Method then dry (in all crevices).

P.S. Grit Guards (you need at least two) are your friends with a black truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    What you can try to do is divide the truck into smaller sections. First starting with the front half and then the second half.

Or if you can find a shady spot to do the entire truck as you don't want reset to dry on the paint. But your plan sounds good.

I like to sheet rinse with a hose before using a blower to remove as much water as possible and then try anything that still remains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Merlin! I have well water. What's a good soap for the foam cannon and do you think it would be a good idea to foam and just rinse and then two bucket wash?

I do have grit guards. Can't go without them.

Is that merino wash mitt better than the incredisponge? For the wheels I was planning on just using iron-x and then pressure wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Merlin!
    I have well water.
    What's a good soap for the foam cannon?
    Do you think it would be a good idea to foam and just rinse and then two bucket wash?
    Is that merino wash mitt better than the incredisponge?
    For the wheels I was planning on just using iron-x and then pressure wash.
    You may wish to look into a water filter for the hose connection.
    It depends...for a good decon wash I like using IronX Snow soap.
    I like to foam, agitate dirt with the mitt, rinse then follow with 2MB.
    I prefer the Merino mitt on Black paint.
    For the wheels (like the paint) Does it need decontamination? If so...
    I use IronX on the wheels (and paint with a Yellow Foam Applicator).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    You may wish to look into a water filter for the hose connection.
    It depends...for a good decon wash I like using IronX Snow soap.
    I like to foam, agitate dirt with the mitt, rinse then follow with 2MB.
    I prefer the Merino mitt on Black paint.
    For the wheels (like the paint) Does it need decontamination? If so...
    I use IronX on the wheels (and paint with a Yellow Foam Applicator).
    What kind of water filter would you recommend and how does that attach?

I ordered some Ironx Snow soap to use.

I definaltly want to Ironx my wheels. There pretty dirty.

After I get the snow soap off I'm going to wash it again with reset. Is that a good idea or a waste of time?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of water filter would you recommend and how does that attach?

I ordered some Ironx Snow soap to use.

I definaltly want to Ironx my wheels. There pretty dirty.

After I get the snow soap off I'm going to wash it again with reset.
    Is that a good idea or a waste of time?

Thanks!
    There are hundreds (if not thousands) of different water filters.
    Your two main issues are minerals/sediment and hard water.
    Many filter models attach to the hose bib on your house.
    Do you have any type of water filter for your well water?

IronX on your wheels is fine (depending on the type). Don't let the Ironx Spray dry.

I like to use the IronX snow soap on the paint, wheels etc. with a PW/foam cannon.
    Then I follow up (after the cannon/wash/rinse) using Reset & the Two Bucket Method.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are hundreds (if not thousands) of different water filters.
    Your two main issues are minerals/sediment and hard water.
    Many filter models attach to the hose bib on your house.
    Do you have any type of water filter for your well water?

IronX on your wheels is fine (depending on the type). Don't let the Ironx Spray dry.

I like to use the IronX snow soap on the paint, wheels etc. with a PW/foam cannon.
    Then I follow up (after the cannon/wash/rinse) using Reset & the Two Bucket Method.
    No we don't have any filter on it now. We have city water but I don't have a way to hook up to it. We only use well water for outside stuff. This winter I want to have city water in my garage so then I can at least use better water.

I have clear coated factory rims that came with my truck. I've used Ironx on them before but I never had the option of pressure washing them until now.

Should I rinse my truck first before I use the Ironx soap or would that dilute it too much?

What would be the best way for me to correctly apply reload without screwing it up. I have a nice light setup but what if the next day I see a spot where I put on to much/to little reload?

Thanks Merlin!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many RV style outside hose bib type water filters.

Minerals, particularly calcium and magnesium, are what constitute “hard water”. Hard water is responsible for water spots, poor-lathering shampoo, and that green ring around your bathtub. The calcium and magnesium actually harden inside pipes (called “scale”) and on other surfaces, including your vehicle. When you rinse with hard water, you could be dousing your vehicle with hard mineral deposits. The only way to prevent hard water deposits is with a water softener.

Sediment is rust or sand that is inside water pipes. A broken water main miles and miles away can allow sand to enter your water supply. Likewise, a little rust anywhere along the water line can flake off into the water. This is why your household faucets have filters. Needless to say, sand and rust hitting your paint finish should be avoided. A filter will remove fine sediment and protect your vehicle as you wash it.

A one-step, in-line filter will remove one of these problems, but what if your water has both sediment and hard water? Well water almost certainly contains sediment and minerals because it is not filtered through a water treatment plant. But even city water can contain both sediment and hard water. That’s because many water treatment plants add lime to the water to raise the pH in order to spur the chemical process that removes debris from the water. Lime adds to hard water.

Most of us need a two-part filtration system that both removes sediment and softens the water to ensure that the water coming out of the hose is truly clean. This helps ensure you’re washing your vehicle in clean, soft water.

If your wheels are CC and you have not had problems in the past you should be fine. Do not let IronX dry on the wheels.

Rinsing first will help remove any loose dirt or debris. It should not effect using the IronX or IronX snow soap.

I've had very little streaking issues with the latest Reload formula. Use it in the shade and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many RV style outside hose bib type water filters.

Minerals, particularly calcium and magnesium, are what constitute “hard water”. Hard water is responsible for water spots, poor-lathering shampoo, and that green ring around your bathtub. The calcium and magnesium actually harden inside pipes (called “scale”) and on other surfaces, including your vehicle. When you rinse with hard water, you could be dousing your vehicle with hard mineral deposits. The only way to prevent hard water deposits is with a water softener.

Sediment is rust or sand that is inside water pipes. A broken water main miles and miles away can allow sand to enter your water supply. Likewise, a little rust anywhere along the water line can flake off into the water. This is why your household faucets have filters. Needless to say, sand and rust hitting your paint finish should be avoided. A filter will remove fine sediment and protect your vehicle as you wash it.

A one-step, in-line filter will remove one of these problems, but what if your water has both sediment and hard water? Well water almost certainly contains sediment and minerals because it is not filtered through a water treatment plant. But even city water can contain both sediment and hard water. That’s because many water treatment plants add lime to the water to raise the pH in order to spur the chemical process that removes debris from the water. Lime adds to hard water.

Most of us need a two-part filtration system that both removes sediment and softens the water to ensure that the water coming out of the hose is truly clean. This helps ensure you’re washing your vehicle in clean, soft water.

If your wheels are CC and you have not had problems in the past you should be fine. Do not let IronX dry on the wheels.

Rinsing first will help remove any loose dirt or debris. It should not effect using the IronX or IronX snow soap.

I've had very little streaking issues with the latest Reload formula. Use it in the shade and you should be fine.
    Thanks Merlin for all the help. I will try to post before and after pictures.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast