Thread: Spot fixing

Post Thanks / Like

Spot fixing

Hi all, I am new to joining the forums but have been reading threads on here for many months now. I detail on the side. Anyway I decided to tackle the daunting task of coating my wife’s 15 tahoe. Long story short there is a spot on the tailgate that I thought I had leveled and buffed off completely that has dried for the last 48 hrs and hazed. I used some chemical guys v38 final polish and polished it away by hand with no problems. I then cleaned the area with some eraser really well and recoated the spot. However the spot is still blatantly obvious. Will this go away as the new layer of coating cures or is there something else I need to try?

Side question, can eraser be used as a quick Detailer of sorts or will it ruin the coating?

Thank you for any and all help or info!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to consider redoing the whole tailgate. I think that might the best way to approach this.
    Northern Vermont

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s what I was afraid of... so I should use my torq10fx and v38 polish the whole tailgate and start over again? Ugh. Haha. I’ve already got 30+ hrs in this project. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ewilsonjr View Post
    That’s what I was afraid of... so I should use my torq10fx and v38 polish the whole tailgate and start over again? Ugh. Haha. I’ve already got 30+ hrs in this project. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.
    I’d polish off everything on the tailgate. Should only take 10-20 min.then due a good eraser wipe down. Then recoat. Should be able to get it done in an hour.
    Northern Vermont

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up redoing the the tailgate, hood and both fenders for various reasons. You’re right it didn’t take too long to complete each section. However even with all the ambient light from the early morning sun and my garage lights I still ended up with 1 or 2 spots. I’m learning coating a black vehicle isn’t for the faint of heart! Haha. Oh well it is what it is. Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up redoing the the tailgate, hood and both fenders for various reasons. You’re right it didn’t take too long to complete each section. However even with all the ambient light from the early morning sun and my garage lights I still ended up with 1 or 2 spots. I’m learning coating a black vehicle isn’t for the faint of heart! Haha. Oh well it is what it is. Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you got it redone. Unfortunately Black is probably the most difficult.
    Northern Vermont