Thread: 2nd coat lifting problems

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2nd coat lifting problems

Hi All,

very new to CarPRo prodcuts. Been using Zaino for last 15 years. Very hands on with orbital polishers, pads and polishes. Though very new to CarPro products and nano tech.

Here is my question if I may.

I used UK 3.0 on my new car which was prepped properly. The first coat went on fine yesterday. I used the supplied suede towel 16" X 16" to buff off, which I dumped as per the instructions. I still have 2/3 of the product remaining so thought I could give one more coat. HEnce waited 24 hours and tried today. I didn't have the suede towel so used a regular microfiber towel and it is not lifting the product at all and leaving all the streaks took me 15 mins to buff of the product applied to 2' x 2'. Still left some high spots. Car surface was very cool since I had it in the garage. Took out in the shade we have 90 F and 13% humidity today. If that helps.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of towels are you using? Plush?

I would recommend something with a low nap like in the 300-350 GSM range. I would also recommend using two towels. One for the initial wipe and the other for the final wipe.

3. Likes dman68 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What type of towels are you using? Plush?

I would recommend something with a low nap like in the 300-350 GSM range. I would also recommend using two towels. One for the initial wipe and the other for the final wipe.
    Thank you. Will try that. The streaks will have to be polished now?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is correct. High spots need to be polished off.

Post Thanks / Like
    JoganJani,
    I had similar problem.
    On my first car, I was able to apply the second UK 3 coat with in 4 hours, and I had no problems at all.
    On a second car, I waited 24+ hours between coats, and had all these blueish strikes and it took a lot of buffing to remove; it was like an oil.
    Corey told me that after 24+ hours, the first coat is almost cured and there might be issues with the second coat.
    I will be re-coating my car and I will apply the second coat around 2 hours later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorell View Post
    JoganJani,
    I had similar problem.
    On my first car, I was able to apply the second UK 3 coat with in 4 hours, and I had no problems at all.
    On a second car, I waited 24+ hours between coats, and had all these blueish strikes and it took a lot of buffing to remove; it was like an oil.
    Corey told me that after 24+ hours, the first coat is almost cured and there might be issues with the second coat.
    I will be re-coating my car and I will apply the second coat around 2 hours later.
    You could always try following the recommended time if 45-60 min after the first coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guz, you are right. Thanks!
    The weird part is that recommendations say to wait until next day if the 45-60 minutes window is missed, at which point the first coat is almost cured.
    I will stick with the 45-60 minutes. Obviously, I will not be able to do the whole car in <60 min, so I'll go on panels sets, First coat: hood, roof, trunk, wait for the 45 and re-coat, and so on. Is there a better way?