Thread: 60 Impala

Post Thanks / Like

60 Impala

lots of different things going on with this Impala. Some single stage, some base coat/clear coat, some panels were original, some horribly repainted.. i fought and learned. always challenging my skill set and looking to improve.

finished with Cquartz. I know the paint isn't perfect but the customer understood and still wanted Cquartz. also helps the single stage paint keep its deep red.

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!! I actually owned this model in high school back in the 60's. My parents bought this as my first car. I had it for a few years before Uncle Sam grabbed me. Don't regret owning the car and don't regret serving Uncle Sam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool car to work on. Looks great!
    Northern Vermont

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Nice Job!!!

It's an interesting challenge when each panel is different!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    WOW! Nice Job!!!

It's an interesting challenge when each panel is different!
    one panel had single stage and base/clear on it. thought i was cutting through the clear when i looked at my pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    one panel had single stage and base/clear on it. thought i was cutting through the clear when i looked at my pad.
    Yepper, I had a 1984 Rolls Royce with original black gloss single stage paint. Let me tell you...I had some black pads!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yepper, I had a 1984 Rolls Royce with original black gloss single stage paint. Let me tell you...I had some black pads!
    let me rephrase my original post.

the front passenger fender had BOTH a single stage paint and base/clear paint on it, they tried to blend the clear onto the single stage. i started on the back side of the panel and it was base/clear paint, everything going smooth.. compound, check for heat, blow out dust, look at pad. all good. once i started to get to the front, the pad was RED. freaked me out for a second lol.

i understand having different panels with different paints but this one had both on it... never seen that before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    let me rephrase my original post.

the front passenger fender had BOTH a single stage paint and base/clear paint on it, they tried to blend the clear onto the single stage. i started on the back side of the panel and it was base/clear paint, everything going smooth.. compound, check for heat, blow out dust, look at pad. all good. once i started to get to the front, the pad was RED. freaked me out for a second lol.

i understand having different panels with different paints but this one had both on it... never seen that before.
    That had to be scary! ...just doing you thing and then RED! How did you determine BOTH single stage and Base/clear were on the same panel?

Post Thanks / Like
    That had to be scary! ...just doing you thing and then RED! How did you determine BOTH single stage and Base/clear were on the same panel?
    Customer told me about it during the drop off process. I thought he was talking about the top of the fender was single stage (which it was) but he was talking about the FRONT of the fender was single stage. I confirmed it with him again during the pick up because I have never seen/heard of single and base/clear being blended together like that. He use to paint appliances back in the days and dabbled a bit into automotive, very interesting stories from him.