Thread: CarPro products cold weather storage.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro products cold weather storage.

Guys, I'm the middle of a much needed garage renovation of sort. Use to have a basic carport with only 3 walls partly covered in aluminum and no door. The updated detached garage will have new roof, plywood sides with vinyl siding and garage door but no interior walls are insulated right now. Most, if not all of my CarPro products as well as other products will now be stored in the garage inside a cabinet with doors.

With winter upcoming, I am concerned that the products may freeze. Winter is not normally very frigid in the mid-atlantic region but does get slightly below freezing often. Any tips on keeping these expensive products from freezing in the garage? Most are now kept in the residence but will be moved to the garage upon completion. For convience, I would like to have them all within reach in the garage without having to constantly move them in and out since I will be upkeeping the car as much as possible during the winter months. Next year, inside walls will be finished and a heat source added. Our budget won't allow for it now.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ruined a few products a couple years back when they froze. I won’t do that again. I’m kinda in the same boat. I have a 6 car garage, but it’s still unheated. I didn’t have time to install a heating system yet in the garage so I’ll be taking all the supplies back into the basement this weekend. The snow was falling on my drive to work. Luckily we did get our upper driveway heating system installed so that will make part of the driveway clearing this winter easier...
    Northern Vermont

3. Likes dman68 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As inconvenient as it is, I think you're better off storing inside until you have your garage finished. At least your coating products. I store my coatings in the house but leave the rest of my products in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

5. Likes dman68 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep a small oil radiant heater near my chemicals to keep them from freezing, except my coatings, they stay in the house until needed. The heater keeps the edge off the garage until I have to work on a car. Since I work on cars all winter long, heat my garage with a propane heater which can get the 3 1/2 car garage to 70 degrees.

7. Likes dman68 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would advise you to install the insulated door and consider more insulation for the roof and the walls. It will make the garage significantly warmer in the winter, and you will not have to spend that much money on heating if you have to warm it up from time to time.
    The temperature might fall, and you must consider some kind of warming. I usually use an electric heater. Thanks to a good insulated wooden garage door, almost all the heat stays inside. It takes much less time to warm the garage up. So, insulation it’s a really important part of this process.
    Last edited by accidentaljosh; 09-08-2022 at 05:48 PM.