Thread: CQuarts over plastic?

Post Thanks / Like

CQuarts over plastic?

I have some plastic pieces like on the cowl as well as on the bumper, they are black when it has some protection on them (mothers back to black)otherwise a dull greyish dark.
    I know that i can use cquarts on plastic so should i coat these areas before or after using the protection on them or should I wait until the mothers wear off or should I just wipe these areas clean with a IPA before coating with CQuarts?

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest going with Dlux as it is a better product for those kinds of plastic.

But yes CQuartz will work. I’m not 100% about the Mother’s product but I would guess it needs to be removed before coating as it will most likely comprise the coating adhesion and durability.

I have used Dlux successfully over Solution Finish as it is a milled carbon restorer that goes in to the plastic and leaves a clean finish. I even wiped it down with Eraser before coating.

3. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve also used Dlux over Solution Finish so I don’t see why CQuartz won’t work. Just wipe down good with an IPA type solution and you should be fine.
    The Devil is in the Details.

Post Thanks / Like
    That mothers product will have to be removed if you plan to use a coating like DLUX. Solution Finish works great for restoring trim and as mentioned topping it with DLUX is popular. I personally did not like that combo. I just felt the performance was a bit lacking. I've kind of started to stay away from coating trim on my personal vehicles and stick with a trim restorer if needed or just a trim sealant.

Another option is Solution Finish topped with Perl on a regular basis. Perl may not last that long but it is versatile and stays dark for some time even when it starts to fade.